U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:55 PM

359 posts, read 954,614 times

Advertisements

I usually never buy an extended warranty but when I purchased a TV for $1000 a little over 6 years ago (monster 1000 lb Sony) at ABC Warehouse I did because with their warranty, if you don't use it they refund 1/2 the price of the warranty and it really wasn't all that expensive. All you have to do is remember to call! For a hundred bucks or so I will remember It was a five year warranty.

Well, about 4 years and 10 months into owning the TV it started doing strange things, but not consistantly. I called ABC Warehouses extended warranty number and they had a local service guy come out. He said there was a problem but Sony no longer made parts for that old of a TV. He told me ABC would be calling me back to make arrangements for a replacement.

I joked with everyone at work about the odds of anyone calling me back let alone replacing a 5 year old TV, but sure enough the local store manager called, had me come in and pick out a new, flat screen, $1000 tv! No charge! But I bought the extended warranty on that one too.

Never forgot that incident as it is so rare these days.....a company that actually stands behind their word. They didn't make it seem like they were doing anything exceptional, just keeping their promise and doing what they said they would. I shop there for all my appliances, electronics, etc. now. This thread just reminded me of how an extended warranty did work for me once, and gave me an opportunity to spread the word about the great customer service at ABC Warehouse (not sure if it's a nationwide chain or not-I'm in Michigan.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 11:20 AM

5,117 posts, read 10,037,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
And I TOTALLY disagree with #5:

5. Organic Produce: It may feel good, but the price usually isn't right. Consider community supported agriculture if you want the real thing, but otherwise, remember that we're in a recession and go for the cheap stuff.

It is pathologically stupid to skimp on the quality of food that you and your family eats. I may live a very frugal lifestyle, but I eat very, very , very well. Nothing contributes more directly to your health than the quality of food that you consume. Any one with a drop of intelligence would understand that, above all else, you buy the VERY BEST food you can afford to buy.

20yrsinBranson
I agree with that. I do NOT skimp on food, I firmly believe you are what you eat. Certain foods are very heavily sprayed, such as strawberries and peaches etc. Those I only buy organic. Some items I buy conventional, if they are too pricy or I can't find them organic, such as watermelon or bananas. Eating well is no insurance that you will never get ill, but combine good food with exercise and I bet you would be spending a LOT less on prescriptions and doctor co-pays.

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 PM

12 posts, read 46,209 times
Default Alaula

I have found a great way to save money and have fresh vegatables that are organic. I plant lettuce and various other small vegetable plants in pots and grow them all year around. If you live in a cold area it can be more difficult in the winter because of the lack of sunlight, however, it is not impossible. I start several pots and then 2 weeks later start another set, and 2 weeks later another. By the time the first set is ready the 2nd and 3rd are on their way. Just keep planting and rotating. This works especially well for lettuces and other greens. Planting herbs is really easy and they only need to be planted once - especially good ones are basil, parsley, green onions, rosemary, thyme. A sun porch works really great and outside during the summer. It's way easier than a garden and takes less weeding and maintenance. Give it a try. You will be surprised how gratifying it is to walk out the door a pick your salad for dinner. Oh ya, cherry tomatoes are great!

Old 04-29-2009, 06:43 AM

3,647 posts, read 9,316,475 times
I don't know about organic foods. I can't taste the difference. I'd rather have something fresh from a garden (or from the frozen vegetable aisle) than to buy fresh produce organics at the grocery store.

The fresh organic stuff I've bought seems to go bad much quicker... sometimes, by the time I get it home! For instance, red onions. After I cut into my 3rd red onion that was ROTTED inside (the day I brought it home), I STOPPED buying the organic ones - and you'll never get me to switch back. Same thing with the potatoes and the apples - which were NEVER as crunchy as the regular ones. The organic bananas I've never bought... at the stores I've shopped at, they're usually so brown they looked more like plantains than bananas!

Just my two cents!

I like alaula's idea about the gardening pots... we're going to try that this year after our move! I'm really looking forward to it... I also want to try the "topsy turvy" planters for strawberries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or