U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:44 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times

Advertisements

Woof mentioned the retirement forum for some insight. There's also the rural and small town living forum for additional insight.

You could get some names from these forums to further research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 05:25 PM

16,462 posts, read 19,996,430 times
I live in Las Vegas and I consider this to be a very cheap place to live. And if you're not a gambler in town it's no more exciting than Lubbock, Texas.

When I compare my property taxes with my friend in Austin, TX, they're 75% less than what she pays. Being close to CA there's always great bargains on fruit. A good part of the year you don't need a heater or air-conditioner on.
The hotness of Las Vegas is overstated. At 100 degrees in June with humidity levels as low as 3-5% (yes, I've seen the humidity levels fall as low as 3% here) you really don't need an air-conditioner on. Our dog days of summer are late July and August when the humidity levels can climb as high as 40% and then, it's imperative for air-conditioning. And we have some cold January days when you might need some heat.

There's lots of bike paths in Henderson/Summerlin but not so many in central Las Vegas where I live. And cheap local theatre, University of Nevada Philharmonic concerts, even free concerts, at times. And lots of nature outside Las Vegas and mountain climbing. Vegas is not for everyone, but it's a cheap place to live.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:04 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times
Well, the cost of living is pretty high (rent/utilities) but for frugality in other aspects I'd say my town is pretty good I live in Los Osos, CA and my house borders the elfin forest which is a large preserve full of pygmy oak trees. I can see Morro Rock and the bay from about 50 ft away from my front door and there are miles and miles and miles of hiking/dog walking/horseback riding etc. trails surrounding the coast. We also have a farmers market in nearly every town in my county which sells inexpensive locally grown produce. These are once a week or so, the most 'famous' one being the Farmers market in San Luis Obispo, which is a 15 minute drive from Los Osos.

Gotta love my beach town

Unfortunately, a studio apartment is usually around $700 and I've even seen people renting out 5th wheel trailers on property for upwards of $1000 a month. A three bedroom 2 bath would probably cost about $1500 a month with no utilities, and depending on the community, basic utilities can cost about $300 a month. There is no need for a/c or heating (except for a small fireplace), which is nice.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:36 PM

298 posts, read 624,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, the cost of living is pretty high (rent/utilities) but for frugality in other aspects I'd say my town is pretty good I live in Los Osos, CA and my house borders the elfin forest which is a large preserve full of pygmy oak trees. I can see Morro Rock and the bay from about 50 ft away from my front door and there are miles and miles and miles of hiking/dog walking/horseback riding etc. trails surrounding the coast. We also have a farmers market in nearly every town in my county which sells inexpensive locally grown produce. These are once a week or so, the most 'famous' one being the Farmers market in San Luis Obispo, which is a 15 minute drive from Los Osos.

Gotta love my beach town

Unfortunately, a studio apartment is usually around $700 and I've even seen people renting out 5th wheel trailers on property for upwards of $1000 a month. A three bedroom 2 bath would probably cost about $1500 a month with no utilities, and depending on the community, basic utilities can cost about $300 a month. There is no need for a/c or heating (except for a small fireplace), which is nice.
Those rents are not much more expensive than the larger cities in alabama. That doesn't sound too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living