U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you live paycheck to paycheck ?
Yes ! We have very little in savings and almost run out of money between paydays! 113 32.01%
No, we have money in savings and hardly ever run out of spending cash between paydays. 173 49.01%
No savings, but we don't run out of money. 40 11.33%
Other. 27 7.65%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 03:28 PM

7,893 posts, read 12,143,322 times

Advertisements

My wife and I each get paid once a month, on the last workday of the month.
As far as savings go, what are we including besides a standard savings account? Do we count things such as treasury bonds and annuities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 01:57 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,473,188 times
I'd feel more included if the poll (and so many respondents) didn't always say "We." If you're not a "we," you have nothing to fall back on/no one to help or horsetrade with (or carry the health insurance,etc.)
Not that I spend a lot of money going out to socialize, certainly less than in my 20s and30s in the city,but I think the "we" people are in a whole 'nother place when it comes to simple entertainments at home.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:32 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,358,554 times
Its like my husband and i have been saying...we dont have money. so we know how to cut corners and make a penny stretch...its when those with alot of money lose it...they are the ones going to hurt. Why? because they dont know how to make that penny stretch like we do. So for that we feel we are richer than they are. We have no money...but a whole lotta love goin on.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:19 AM

5,402 posts, read 5,222,907 times
Back in the 80's we were living the "great American Dream" to the tune of $110,000 cc debt. When our influential, Political friends started disappearing, we took stock in ourselves and how foolish we became. We both worked 2 jobs and paid every penny back. Now we are truly living the American Dream, we have debt, but not enormous, nothing we can't handle. I am now able to stay at home and he works a semi-normal job with normal hours. We sit in the rocking chairs, with the "furry child" on the front porch and visit with our neighbors. I wouldn't trade this life for anything, I only wish that I realized this life existed back in the 80's.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:07 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,358,554 times
amen Kelsie..its when life gets simplier..that you realize that its "life" and you actually enjoy it. even when the money is not there.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:51 PM

4,507 posts, read 7,824,676 times
I guess we'd be Other. We have only a little bit of a mortgage to pay and no other debt. We are on a strict budget with only a specific amount of spending money each week so in that sense we might 'run out' until the next 'payday' but since we save more than we spend it isn't like we are really running out...we are choosing to spend less.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:11 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,724,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I guess we'd be Other. We have only a little bit of a mortgage to pay and no other debt. We are on a strict budget with only a specific amount of spending money each week so in that sense we might 'run out' until the next 'payday' but since we save more than we spend it isn't like we are really running out...we are choosing to spend less.
We are in the same boat as you (though I voted for we have savings and hardly ever run out of spending money). We both worked 2 jobs (me for 4 years and DH for about 8 years) to pay off our mortgage. We have no debt even with a kid that's a college sophomore (also no debt).

It's tight, but we're aiming for an early retirement/ move to our dream town, so the sacrifice is more than woth it.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:36 AM

267 posts, read 1,003,208 times
We used to be fine, with just a little extra to spend each month. Last few yrs, with many an unemployed month, we now spend more than we make (though no habits have changed) and last month finally ran out of savings. For the first time ever we got overdrawn on our account. By abt 300$. If the paycheck had arrived in time (it had to be late this time!), we would have been just ok. But it's not supposed to be this close, and I am trying to figure out how it got this way.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:08 PM

4,507 posts, read 7,824,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVivant View Post
We used to be fine, with just a little extra to spend each month. Last few yrs, with many an unemployed month, we now spend more than we make (though no habits have changed) and last month finally ran out of savings. For the first time ever we got overdrawn on our account. By abt 300$. If the paycheck had arrived in time (it had to be late this time!), we would have been just ok. But it's not supposed to be this close, and I am trying to figure out how it got this way.
The answer to the latter bolded statement can be found in the previously bolded statement. If you had just a little extra each month and then suffered a loss of income (due to unemployment) and did not change spending habits to match the lowered income...it's not surprising that eventually your savings would diminish and leave you with a shortfall. Sorry you are going through this, but now is the time to CUT THE BUDGET down to bare bones. Yup, cancel the cable and the cell phones, have a yard sale and start collecting coupons from the Sunday paper....do everything you can to get your spending below your income.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:50 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,487,344 times
I have more then a years worth of expenses in liquid savings just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living