U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you live paycheck to paycheck ?
Yes ! We have very little in savings and almost run out of money between paydays! 113 32.01%
No, we have money in savings and hardly ever run out of spending cash between paydays. 173 49.01%
No savings, but we don't run out of money. 40 11.33%
Other. 27 7.65%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 05:08 PM

267 posts, read 1,003,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
The answer to the latter bolded statement can be found in the previously bolded statement.
I was thinking a while back that maybe I didn't word that right. I kinda meant there is not much we can change. There are no 'extras' to cut down on. We are only shopping as required, just food and essentials. And sticking with store brands, or whatever is more cost effective. These are the smaller expenses. There are items like the mortgage, insurance, phone, medical insurance, medications that insurance does not cover etc etc that are pretty much the same, no matter what. And these are hard to change in a jiffy.

But, still, I agree, changes can be made. But it doesn't help if I'm the only one thinking that way and willing to make the changes. I need my SO's full cooperation, as we need to do it together. This difference in viewpoint is what has led us to be pretty much paycheck to paycheck in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 12:33 PM

5,232 posts, read 13,553,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGal78 View Post
Trying to post a poll.

Also....how often do you get paid ?

This is not a public poll, so nobody will know your answer on the poll.
We don't live paycheck to paycheck I wouldn't say. Our debt to income is pretty low. And we've only got 2 kids living at home now, instead of the 7 we had for a while (not all ours - we seemed to collect 'stray' childrenthere for a bit).

However, we do enjoy what we make and we do spend it all. Hubby and I enjoy eating out weekly. It's our 'date night'. I spend one night a month in a hotel near work to close out my month end reports for the Corporate office. I bought him a very overpriced vehicle that he wanted, partially because it worked for him perfectly with his medical problems and partially because he's spoiled.

If something happened we could cut back to a single paycheck if we were very careful about every penny. That said, if we'd grow up and stop being so self indulgent we could have a nice little savings account too.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:52 PM

281 posts, read 874,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
We don't live paycheck to paycheck I wouldn't say. Our debt to income is pretty low. And we've only got 2 kids living at home now, instead of the 7 we had for a while (not all ours - we seemed to collect 'stray' childrenthere for a bit).

However, we do enjoy what we make and we do spend it all. Hubby and I enjoy eating out weekly. It's our 'date night'. I spend one night a month in a hotel near work to close out my month end reports for the Corporate office. I bought him a very overpriced vehicle that he wanted, partially because it worked for him perfectly with his medical problems and partially because he's spoiled.

If something happened we could cut back to a single paycheck if we were very careful about every penny. That said, if we'd grow up and stop being so self indulgent we could have a nice little savings account too.
I love this post!

What's wrong with being a little self-indulgent?? I had this discussion with my DH this morning - who says we have to have nice little savings accounts? Beyond having enough to support yourself in the event of an unforseen hiccup, why do we need to focus so much on accumulating wealth? Sure, it might be nice to leave your kids a little something extra when you die, but most likely they will be grown adults who are quite capable of supporting themselves and who don't really "need" whatever savings you work your whole life to put aside.

You've spent time raising 7 kids, most of whom were not your own - you deserve a little self-indulgence.

Enjoy yourself. Life is short - if you're happy while you're alive, and that happiness radiates onto those around you, no one will give a rats how much money you have in savings when you die.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:07 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,789,079 times
Every once in a while I'll end up living paycheck to paycheck. I'll then save up a bunch of money (3-4k in savings) and then something will come up and bye bye savings . Last thing was a $2000 medical bill from 2006 that the medical company 'forgot' about and just recently billed. Then, we had to move because the rental was a fire hazard. That cost me a little over $1000, which included getting new furniture (technically bought used from craigslist, but new to us) the trailer/gas and all the little whatnots that are involved with moving.

Now, I'm beginning to put a little more in the savings (I'm a little over $800 now) and we're trying to live as frugally as possible. Living paycheck to paycheck is scaaaary.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:31 PM

13 posts, read 32,865 times
We live paycheck to paycheck right now, though we did have a bit of savings last year that we had to blow through in my husband's job search and our move to the new job area. It sucks, but since we were on food stamps and the state medical not too long ago, I'd say it's a big difference and we're proud of ourselves.

Every time we save up now, one of our old beater cars breaks though. The good thing is that he is a teacher and while the pay is low and we're unsure of rehire until he gets tenure, it's guaranteed to go up a bit every year. And is definitely more $$ than the three crappy min-wage jobs we held together the last couple of years!

Old 04-13-2009, 05:34 PM

756 posts, read 1,945,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
I love this post!

What's wrong with being a little self-indulgent?? I had this discussion with my DH this morning - who says we have to have nice little savings accounts? Beyond having enough to support yourself in the event of an unforseen hiccup, why do we need to focus so much on accumulating wealth? Sure, it might be nice to leave your kids a little something extra when you die, but most likely they will be grown adults who are quite capable of supporting themselves and who don't really "need" whatever savings you work your whole life to put aside.

You've spent time raising 7 kids, most of whom were not your own - you deserve a little self-indulgence.

Enjoy yourself. Life is short - if you're happy while you're alive, and that happiness radiates onto those around you, no one will give a rats how much money you have in savings when you die.
I also agree! Life is short and you can't take your money with you when you go!

Everything in moderation.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:15 PM

1,318 posts, read 2,970,398 times
I don't live paycheck to paycheck, but it sometimes seems like that. I have $2000 in checking that I leave there just in case, it is sort of like an insurance policy, just in case something happens, it is not much but it does its job. It is mostly there for:
1. To prevent bounced checks.
2. In case some unexpected costs come up, I can pay it.

Aside from that I have only a little savings outside of retirement savings, which are very small, only about 27k. I had been aggressively paying off my CC debts, and my student loans, but I finished that today. So I'll probably be filling up my savings now, as soon as I fund my IRA for 2009. I really don't feel comfortable with only $2000 for emergencies.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:28 AM

241 posts, read 699,722 times
I voted other because before I became a college student I lived paycheck to paycheck. Now once I finish school I am optimistic that things will be much better.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:06 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,724,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I don't live paycheck to paycheck, but it sometimes seems like that. I have $2000 in checking that I leave there just in case, it is sort of like an insurance policy, just in case something happens, it is not much but it does its job. It is mostly there for:
1. To prevent bounced checks.
2. In case some unexpected costs come up, I can pay it.

Aside from that I have only a little savings outside of retirement savings, which are very small, only about 27k. I had been aggressively paying off my CC debts, and my student loans, but I finished that today. So I'll probably be filling up my savings now, as soon as I fund my IRA for 2009. I really don't feel comfortable with only $2000 for emergencies.
Congrats on paying off all that debt!!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:56 AM

3,406 posts, read 8,990,415 times
I get paid twice a month, 15th & last day. Wife gets one disability check from Social Security a month. I pay for her Assisted Living Care and Prescriptions/Doctors, etc., and that uses up almost all of that money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living