Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you live paycheck to paycheck ?
Yes ! We have very little in savings and almost run out of money between paydays! 113 31.92%
No, we have money in savings and hardly ever run out of spending cash between paydays. 173 48.87%
No savings, but we don't run out of money. 40 11.30%
Other. 28 7.91%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:29 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,217 times

Advertisements

I'm bi-weekly paid and have no debt. Shelter, food and entertainment are necessities for me. Thank god I wasn't stupid enough to take out loans when I was in undergrad and grad school. I get paid, not bill collectors. Even when I buy a home in the near future, I'm gonna have it paid off in 6-7 years as I'll get a 15-year mortgage and do a fund where I budget $500 every period and when my mortgage is due, make one lump sum payment each time. This way, I'll have it paid off in no time. Debt free is a good look. I encourage any and everyone to acquire to be debt free. No one should want to owe someone for the rest of their lives. I sure don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 10:41 PM

62 posts, read 218,707 times
I am a single mom, with very little child support. School teachers don't realize how expensive things are, each kid brought home a list of school supplies needed, and it all adds up. My tooth broke the other night, and I can't get it fixed, even though I have dental insurance, because I can't afford the 50% deductible.

Just trying to make it work. I love people who say things like, "Oh, to save money we are not going to buy any more playstation games.". Umm, we don't even have a playstation...

Old 08-28-2009, 06:20 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2942 View Post
I am a single mom, with very little child support. School teachers don't realize how expensive things are, each kid brought home a list of school supplies needed, and it all adds up. My tooth broke the other night, and I can't get it fixed, even though I have dental insurance, because I can't afford the 50% deductible.

Just trying to make it work. I love people who say things like, "Oh, to save money we are not going to buy any more playstation games.". Umm, we don't even have a playstation...
We don't either (have a playstation) but most people have something they can cut. Do you have cable, a cell phone, lights on when no one is in the room, do you use the dryer instead of hanging up clothes, do you limit your discretionary driving to save gas, turn off the hot water heater when you aren't home during the day, do you use coupons and shop for sales first, menu plan, do you eat out at all, pay for extra curricular activities, buy more clothes than you need, pay full price for items, buy school supplies at target or walmart instead of the penny sales and at the dollar store....????

I'd bet I just found enough money in there to pay your 50% dental deductible. You can also talk to the dentist about your situation and see if they will work on lowering the charges of your tooth repair. I know you don't like to talk about it, but given your history they may be able to help you out. People do still care...if you let them. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:02 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,727 times
Mickey - I'd talk to the dentist also...you need to take care of yourself. YOU ARE IMPORTANT! (don't believe me? ask your children)

NYyank...bet you didn't If you never lived that life (single mom, limited resources) you would know, that coupons, sales, menu plans etc are just a way of life...it's the only way you are going to make it. Some areas also don't let you have a clothes line. I'd also like to "beg to differ" about the cable tv. When I was buget counseler for NMCRS, cable was the last thing to go (extra channels was the first) if there were children in the home...we all have "those days" that turning on the tv and vegging is a must, and gives the children something to do when mom needs "quiet time"

That whole list of school supplies thing happened after I quit teaching, so I really don't have an answer/suggestion. Does each child have their supplies in their desk or does it go into a "pot" for everyone to use? If it goes into a pot, I wouldn't worry to much about it (a dollar store 3 pack of erasers and you are good) Does your area have a school supply drive? Mine does, but it doesn't go to the children (unless it's a back pack) it all goes to the classroom.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
I don't have a clothes line and still hang up clothes.

You can have a TV without cable. You'll need the digital cable box now but the TV will still work. You can also get movies for free from the library for the kids to watch when you are having one of 'those days'. You can even get books from the library...imagine that..reading instead of plopping down in front of a TV. You can get magazines, books on tape too.

You can beg to differ but there's just no excuse to be paying for cable TV if your most basic needs are not met.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:12 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGal78 View Post
Trying to post a poll.

Also....how often do you get paid ?

This is not a public poll, so nobody will know your answer on the poll.
I get paid bi-weekly.

I do live paycheck to paycheck, but I'm working very hard right now to change that.

I'm also a single parent. I've been working hard lately on strategies to quit spending on stupid stuff. I kept track of my spending for a month, and saw a million ways I could cut corners.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:13 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
I think you should have made an option

"Have decent money in savings, but have no spending money because of that savings".

Its a bad assumption to believe that people that have little spending money automatically have little savings.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post

You can beg to differ but there's just no excuse to be paying for cable TV if your most basic needs are not met.
I cant think of a reason to pay for cable TV at all! Ive been without cable for well over a year since I got divorced, and much of my life. I do just fine!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post

When I was buget counseler for NMCRS, cable was the last thing to go (extra channels was the first) if there were children in the home...we all have "those days" that turning on the tv and vegging is a must, and gives the children something to do when mom needs "quiet time"
This is such an unbelievable concept. Children have been around for thousands and thousands of years, cable TV is what, not even 50 years old? How did those children entertain themselves? Oh wait, they read books and before the written word and widespread literacy were forced to use their imagination. Kids lost the ability to pick up a stick or some dirt and turn it in to anything, and that is a major problem with recent generations.

I didnt have cable TV for almost all of my childhood. Guess what I did? I played outside from the time I got home from school until dark almost every day of the year, except summer, when I played outside from when I woke up until dark. When it rained enough that I couldnt just wear a rain coat and go outside, I read or played with toys and used my imagination.

Plopping your kid in front of a TV and using it as a baby sitter is an inconceivably ridiculous thought and suggestion.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:42 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Paid every 2 weeks.
There have been periods in my life where money was awfully tight but not now.
I keep about 2 months pay in my checking account so I don't have to dork around with balancing it, save separately first and can then blow whatever is left over with impunity.

I clip coupons and buy on sales where possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living