Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you live paycheck to paycheck ?
Yes ! We have very little in savings and almost run out of money between paydays! 113 31.92%
No, we have money in savings and hardly ever run out of spending cash between paydays. 173 48.87%
No savings, but we don't run out of money. 40 11.30%
Other. 28 7.91%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:52 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,972 times

Advertisements

Randomdude, and NYyank...it appears that you have never been single with young children at home, holding down a job, running a household - in TODAYS society. Unexpected bills come up, and I'm sure you have never been in a place where you had to scramble to get it covered. Some of us have, thus we see things slightly differently, we can show more empathy towards someone who is in that situation currently.

Mathguy, have you noticed the coupons aren't as good as they used to be? In the last couple of years, I'm seeing more HBA coupons than food and they have much shorter dates (makes it hard to beable to use them when there is a sale)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 11:45 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
The why's for everyone are different, and each person must decide what they think about it.

I know with my own friends and family there are people who do and not, and the ones that do runs a wide range. In my own experience unless you are running right at the edge, there is room to save just a bit. Even $50 a month is a life saver if something comes up. A large majority of those I know who really don't save at all are those who overspend, when luxuries become a necessity, not those who really make very little. Those who tend not to make that much tend to be the better and more disciplined savers overall.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:12 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Randomdude, and NYyank...it appears that you have never been single with young children at home, holding down a job, running a household - in TODAYS society. Unexpected bills come up, and I'm sure you have never been in a place where you had to scramble to get it covered. Some of us have, thus we see things slightly differently, we can show more empathy towards someone who is in that situation currently.
Empathy is useless if you aren't willing to help people make hard but beneficial decisions that will lead to a better outcome long term. You can make any excuse you want for mis-prioritizing funds but that doesn't make it a smart thing to do. Paying for cable is a waste and unwise, especially for the folks that you seem to be so concerned about. Even at $35 for basic cable, that's $420 a year, and there's probably taxes and fees on top of that so lets round up to $500. That could cover quite a few 'unexpected bills'. Cancel the cable and open a savings account...stop making excuses, you don't get ahead that way.

Cell phones....I hear a lot how those are a necessity in today's society as well. Hogwash. Even if you need a cell phone you can get one for $5-$10 per month, pay as you go type phone...no need to have a $50 month cell phone bill...I don't care how many friends and family are on the plan or how many text minutes you have. If you are a single parent, struggling to make ends meet, working, running a household....you shouldn't have time to text and your money is better off in the 'used to be my cable bill-savings account' for those unexpected things that come up in life.

Your empathy is actually hurting people if it encourages them to continue on irresponsibly, paying for 'important' things like cable and cell phones when what they need is money to pay the dentist, or school supplies for their kids. I know it makes you feel better, that they can have these things that are so normal in today's society...but really....is that what you want for them? A little bit of materialistic normalcy at the expense of true needs? I suggest that you can use your sense of empathy much more constructively.

Last edited by NCyank; 08-28-2009 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 12:36 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Yes I do live paycheck to paycheck and it's horrible Even if I get paid on a weekly basis it's still so hard for me to save a dime. Then here comes my teenager "mommy I need my hair done my nails done my feet done a brand new outfit can I get a pair of new sneakers and shoes as well" Now that's stressful!!!!
I have teenagers too. Have you heard of the word "NO"....use it...it works.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:37 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
What does being single with young children have to do with plopping kids in front of a TV?

Old 08-28-2009, 02:01 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
My mom raised four of us by herself and never used the TV as a substitute mother.

Cable is NOT a necessity!

Old 08-28-2009, 02:23 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Our family income arrives bi-weekly, and we keep enough in liquid savings to cover both regular and unexpected bills.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:37 PM

62 posts, read 218,722 times
I don't have cable, I don't have a car, I take the train to work, and rent a car once a month to do errands. I walk to shopping. I do have a cell phone, that is the only phone we have. I don't have a washer or dryer, I use the ones at the apartment here. I don't buy clothes, because I wear a uniform for my job. My kids clothes we get at Salvation Army.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:41 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2942 View Post
I don't have cable, I don't have a car, I take the train to work, and rent a car once a month to do errands. I walk to shopping. I do have a cell phone, that is the only phone we have. I don't have a washer or dryer, I use the ones at the apartment here. I don't buy clothes, because I wear a uniform for my job. My kids clothes we get at Salvation Army.
Salvation Army is kind of pricey in my opinion. I walked in there, looked at some of the prices, determined that Walmart was largely cheaper, and walked out.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:05 PM

62 posts, read 218,722 times
I get a voucher for clothes from my church. If you have the voucher you get 50% off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living