U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:42 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,601,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
what do you do when you have kids in school though,for lunches? my kids eat pretty healthy,not a lot of junk at all.. but.. I also don't want them to have to have the same exact thing every single day in their lunches. They always get a fresh fruit in their lunch and either crackers,chips or pretzels and sometimes maybe a pudding or something like that...
how do you cut down on the costs of things like that?
Kid's lunch ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 07:19 AM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,831,339 times
Things get marked down when they are pushing their date codes. Stores carry a lot of items, so if you were to look at the dates of everything you buy, if you find something coming close to dating out, you can ask them to mark it down (usually 50%)

Old 04-08-2009, 06:09 PM

16,474 posts, read 20,009,944 times
Buying a big freezer is one of the cheapest ways to economize, it will pay for itself many times over. How many times do you run into a sale on meat or whatever, and you realize there's just not enough room in your freezer. I'm even tempted to buy a second freezer.

I cook once a month or less. I double/triple/quadruple recipes for 4 or 5
dishes and freeze all the extra with a label and date. This way I have 4 or 5 choices every month to eat for dinner. I wait for chicken to go on sale and will deep fry 6 big packages of drumsticks, thighs, whatever, and all goes into the freezer, and anytime I'm hungry for chicken, it's there.

Come summer now (too hot to cook in the summer here) I have been noted to cook enough food to last me for two months. So, I just make one horrible mess in the kitchen one free day, and kiss the stove good-bye for a month or two. It totally exhausts me when I run into a co-worker who tells me she's going to go home and cook that day. Not me!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:36 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,358,917 times
Great tips here. We too are learning to stick to the outside isles. I remember before we moved that we need extra cash...we went out and picked up cans off the sides of the road..mainly the back roads, we had 3-4 garbage bags and earned about 90.00. it was easy as pie. We told the kids to look at as "free money"

Old 04-09-2009, 04:05 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,054,470 times
I wish somewhere around here paid for cans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
Great tips here. We too are learning to stick to the outside isles. I remember before we moved that we need extra cash...we went out and picked up cans off the sides of the road..mainly the back roads, we had 3-4 garbage bags and earned about 90.00. it was easy as pie. We told the kids to look at as "free money"

Old 04-09-2009, 06:47 PM

4,218 posts, read 7,852,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I wish somewhere around here paid for cans
here bottles are accepted at 5 cents - a garbage bag is about 100 tin cans or 20-30 big drink bottles. That's $1 - $5 per garbage bag. But $90 for 3-4 bags?

Old 04-11-2009, 06:12 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,056,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I make lots of dishes with whole grain pasta, a lot more filling than white flour and healthier.
I totally agree about the whole grain pasta, but found some members of the family hated the taste and refused to eat the whole grain pasta.

My solution was to get an airtight container in which I mix half white flour penne (on sale at Costco), half whole grain pasta (also at Costco), and some token wagon wheels (white flour, and I have to buy them at the local grocery, but the kids will eat the whole grain if I toss in the wagon wheels). As long as there is some white pasta in the mix, everyone will eat it.

And it's true, it does taste much better when you mix it like this. Also, it looks more appealling, which is half the battle of getting the kids to eat it.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:57 PM

298 posts, read 624,250 times
Check out Angel Food Ministries

Food Menu*- Angel Food Ministries

This is a resource for families (or anyone really) to buy food at a very discounted price. Basically you pay $30 bucks and you get a box of food that the organization says will feed a family of four for a week. I don't know if that's true but it is quite a bit of food. Check the link for a listing of what's in the current box.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:22 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,741,148 times
Be careful buying freezers and make sure they're energy efficient. Refrigerators and freezers, especially self-defrosting styles -- are big users of electricity.
There's good info on them at the fed's Energy Star site:
Refrigerators & Freezers : ENERGY STAR

Old 04-15-2009, 02:26 AM

3,966 posts, read 9,153,425 times
We spent a huge $400 last month on food! It was insane and thought what the hell is costing so much. I decided to eliminate steaks, pork chops, and other large chops of meat beyond hamburger, chicken and hotdogs.

First we went to the dollar store and bought Mexican produce and dollar 32 oz 100% juice bottles. Along with other items i can't remember. $25 total.

Headed to wally world, bought bags of chicken some ground beef, frozen ravioli, and ingredients to make dinner. $140

We bought our stuff 2 weeks ago and the freezer is still full, awesome. I've also found simple, great tasting food, that doesn't require a lot of items are good.

Last thing and i'll shut up. Enchalada sauce, boiled chicken in garlic, and cooked rice = dinner wraped in a tortilla. It's so good, green and red sauce version are both awesome and lasts. I had 2 for dinner last night and still have left overs.

You don't have to eat top ramon to eat cheap, just come here to city-data or google!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living