U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:14 PM

4,218 posts, read 7,854,441 times

Advertisements

Looked in Wikipedia for mushrooms -

the pictures/names brought back childhood memories of hunting for porcini, red-capped scaber, butter mushroom, chantrelle...

Mushroom hunting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:56 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,813,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful-Thang View Post
....Anyone every try acorns?
They're one of the best plant sources of calories and protein if you don't have any nut trees: Acorn Recipes and Acorn Preparation - Grandpappy's Basic Recipes - by Robert Wayne Atkins, P.E.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:42 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,490,270 times
Unless you are experienced at picking mushrooms, it's not something I would ever pick up wild...their toxins are quick and usually lethal when it happens, and it only takes one mistake.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:25 AM

5,945 posts, read 12,724,028 times
I love learning about the wildfoods in our area, but I have never had the nerve to try any. I don't know which areas have been sprayed or treated with chemicals and which have not?

Old 04-12-2009, 10:04 AM

1,387 posts, read 2,110,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Unless you are experienced at picking mushrooms, it's not something I would ever pick up wild...their toxins are quick and usually lethal when it happens, and it only takes one mistake.
Picking mushrooms is not for amateurs. But, once you are familiar with a few edible species, you would sooner confuse a carrot with a cabbage, than a chantarelle with a death cap.

Some mushrooms are not edible simply because they are not tasty.
Many mushrooms will simply make you sick to your stomach.
There are few species mushrooms that are actually deadly. Unfortunately, they can be common through many seasons, and be very delicious looking.
Poisonous members of the Amanita genus can be very delicious, and the symptoms of acute liver poisoning often do not appear until the damage is done. Usually when you hear about people dying from poisonous mushrooms, it is from Amanita ocreades and Amanita phalloides.

I really love wild mushrooms, and hunting them is fun.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:21 AM

563 posts, read 1,220,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I love learning about the wildfoods in our area, but I have never had the nerve to try any. I don't know which areas have been sprayed or treated with chemicals and which have not?
I understand your concern regarding pesticides. The state of Oregon has historically sprayed herbicide on roadsides, reprod (reforestation) areas and ditches to slow weed growth. I would avoid those areas. Private lands should be safe.
However, with the slow economy and the depressed timber market, the state is considering plans to cut back the spraying program drastically. Call the Oregon Dept. of Forestry for more information. It's best to be careful!!

Old 04-12-2009, 01:42 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,490,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
Picking mushrooms is not for amateurs. But, once you are familiar with a few edible species, you would sooner confuse a carrot with a cabbage, than a chantarelle with a death cap.
Very true, but enough people have been confused with roasted peanuts that airlines have to write in bold on the back of the package "contains nuts". Of course it might be a good way to trim some of the weeds out of the gene pool.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 PM

164 posts, read 464,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
They're one of the best plant sources of calories and protein if you don't have any nut trees: Acorn Recipes and Acorn Preparation - Grandpappy's Basic Recipes - by Robert Wayne Atkins, P.E.
Great link, thanks. I'm going to try them this year for sure now.

New about the high protein content, that's why I wanted to try them as my husband and I have a tendency to hypoglycemia.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:19 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,813,352 times
You're welcome ..... be sure to check out the rest of that site also, it's full of good information for anyone going through hard times.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:10 PM

563 posts, read 1,220,682 times
I found this cool page on cattails. It covers identification, habitat, and best ways to harvest and eat!
Cattail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living