U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 06:31 AM

428 posts, read 981,141 times

Advertisements

Ok, so now I am HIGHLY recommending that people use their local online classifieds when looking for big ticket items.

I posted an ad online looking for a used wooden swingset. I have 2 kids ages 3 and 8. We just couldn't afford a wooden swingset at retail prices but were hoping to find something cheap/used.

Of course, I got a few replies...people wanting too much for something that was in sad shape.

Then this man called and said he had a 4 year old , 2 story wooden swingset he had purchased at Sam's Club for $1000.00 and his kids had outgrown it. I asked how much. "Oh, you can have it if you haul it off and get it out of my way."

We went to look at it that night, and got it the next day. I wasn't going to let something like that sit around too long.

It has 2 story platform on top, wood shingled roof, 2 swings, monkey bars, huge green plastic slide like new, built in picnic table bench thing, stairs, plastic tree trunk climber on one side, and a platform underneath everything !

The wood is in great shape, just needs some stain.

My kids are loving it.

FREE !!!! Now that's frugal !

Old 04-04-2009, 06:36 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,295,528 times
Wow that is awesome!! I must've really wanted to get rid of it.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 AM

540 posts, read 1,174,439 times
You know what they say....."Ask and ye shall receive"

Congrats and well done

Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGal78 View Post
Ok, so now I am HIGHLY recommending that people use their local online classifieds when looking for big ticket items.

I posted an ad online looking for a used wooden swingset. I have 2 kids ages 3 and 8. We just couldn't afford a wooden swingset at retail prices but were hoping to find something cheap/used.

Of course, I got a few replies...people wanting too much for something that was in sad shape.

Then this man called and said he had a 4 year old , 2 story wooden swingset he had purchased at Sam's Club for $1000.00 and his kids had outgrown it. I asked how much. "Oh, you can have it if you haul it off and get it out of my way."

We went to look at it that night, and got it the next day. I wasn't going to let something like that sit around too long.

It has 2 story platform on top, wood shingled roof, 2 swings, monkey bars, huge green plastic slide like new, built in picnic table bench thing, stairs, plastic tree trunk climber on one side, and a platform underneath everything !

My kids are loving it.

Same deal with me. MY sister picked one up from a friend for free. She has a power washer and even power washed it for us. My kids love it. A month earlier someone tried to sell me their set for $1000 +....they were divorcing and had to sell the house. I think the set ended up going with the house.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 21,437 times
I been looking for a wooden swing set for my 3 year old, but your right they cost more then i can afford. my 3 year old is very hyper and the swing set would help so much to keep him busy.
you got very lucky. I am not that lucky LOL but I will keep looking for one that I can afford

Old 07-16-2011, 01:03 PM

1,166 posts, read 4,288,351 times
Anybody interested should look on local craigslist free section. Once in a while one shows up. We bought a house that had one in the yard. One kids was young enough to be excited about it-but lasted only 6 months. I put an ad and someone actually paid some money to buy it. I helped him dis-assemble it and load it in the truck and I think I barely got my labor's worth. But hey it was Saturday and I needed to exercise anyways.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:07 PM

7,068 posts, read 10,818,929 times
I gave two of these structures away in the past just like the OP acquired.

The first was when we relocated out of state for work. Couldn't bring that monster with us! The second one I gave away when the kids outgrew it.

Both were in really nice condition. Paying it forward, I guess!

Old 07-17-2011, 05:59 AM

2,570 posts, read 3,667,680 times
Craigslist Free works toooooo well! First time we gave away something free I put our phone number in the ad, 15 minutes later we had over 50 calls and that many emails. It's less work for me to not haul something off and what is that saying? Ones man's junk is another man's treasure. You also meet some pretty nice people who really appreciate your generosity

We have something here called Freecycle that my wife uses also

Old 07-17-2011, 11:27 AM

1,096 posts, read 3,985,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGal78 View Post

My kids are loving it.

This is pretty common, check out craigslist free section or even other sections and oftenimes people with larger items will let them go for free if you come take them away.

I've gotten a storage shed, dog run, trampoline. Heck my dad gave away an inground swimming pool, HUGE deck, and hottub just for being taken down and halled away, the haller also had to pay or do the work to fill in the hole and replant sod but basically a good deal for all. My dad got his yard put back the way it used to be essentially for free which woudl have cost a few grand and someone else got a free new pool, hottub and deck.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:10 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,096,358 times
Before we moved I used southeasttexas.com and gave away a non working hot tub and wooden childrens play structure and also 20 chickens that were raised for the local fair that didn't make auction weight. I loved that function - didn't really know about craigslist much before this move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.