U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:02 AM

23,440 posts, read 31,652,227 times

Advertisements

I think the Macys here is a "z" store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 08:12 AM

15,323 posts, read 27,479,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I think the Macys here is a "z" store.
LOL!

I have been fortunate enough to go on a biz trip to Chicago. I was super excited about going to Macy's. While the experience was overall wonderful there were very few employees and at times I felt like I had the store to myself. Later on I watched the tv show where the designers "did" the Macy's windows for Christmas. While gorgeous, it came to me that Macy's seems to be more about the visual for the customer than the actual total shopping experience. Save for a wonderful, helpful sales clerk in the hats and gloves section our trip would have been very lopsided.

I have to admit that I shop Ross here locally has some nice things but they get one design and then 2 of that outfit in every size. So, you can see yourself all around town. I wish that they would spread out the outfits to other cities but totally understand why they do what they do. One of my best finds there was a purse that everyone compliments me on. It looks like a $200 purse that I paid $20 for; score!

To stand out I do a lot of plain classics with different accessories like scarves and pins.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:46 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,025,363 times
I've gotten a few things at Marshalls, but I have to search real hard and a lot of it is timing because the good stuff goes fast! I buy my underwear there for 1/3 of the price I used to get it for at Nordstrom. I've also found Hue tights (usually black) and some great Tahari jackets.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:48 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,284,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Are they stealing that stuff? Ross has to be the best place to find name-brand clothes at prices so low that you wonder how they are even turning a profit. I don't work for them and I'm not trying to advertise for them, but I'm always amazed at what I find when I go in there. Granted, you have to dig through a bunch of crap that no one with vision better than 20/2000 would ever find appealing, but I rarely walk out of there without stumbling upon a hidden gem.

I am a Polo fanatic, and there is no telling how much money I've saved over the last couple years by purchasing my golf shirts exclusively at Ross. I've picked up shirts there for $9, then seen the exact same style hanging on the rack at Macy's adorned with a $49.99 price tag.

Other great options are TJMaxx, Marshall's, and SteinMart, but Ross just happens to be closest to my house.
I am told that Kohl's also is very nicely priced, especially the items on sale. Personally, I wouldn't know myself. (shamless self-promotion) I haven't purchased any clothing new for years and years and years. They idea of paying more than a dollar or two for clothes really rankles. Once you get used to the thrift shop/yard sale scene. It's hard to break the habit. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,484,091 times
I love Kohl's! You don't have to weed through racks and racks of hideous junk to find nice clothes in all sizes with great price tags.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:01 PM

14,212 posts, read 23,906,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
LOL!

I have been fortunate enough to go on a biz trip to Chicago. I was super excited about going to Macy's. While the experience was overall wonderful there were very few employees and at times I felt like I had the store to myself. Later on I watched the tv show where the designers "did" the Macy's windows for Christmas. While gorgeous, it came to me that Macy's seems to be more about the visual for the customer than the actual total shopping experience. Save for a wonderful, helpful sales clerk in the hats and gloves section our trip would have been very lopsided.
If you went to Marshall Fields (Downtown State St.) in Chicago BEFORE the Macy takeover, you would have received excellent service and a visually stunning displays. As much as I do NOT shop in department stores, MF was absolutely the best.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:49 PM

510 posts, read 935,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
The store is junky and has limited selections of what appear to be picked over clothing in odd designs or defected. Sorry, I don't want a polo shirt with five different colors of stripes.

I will credit their personal use items such as athletic shorts and perhaps, underwear. However, I think a better selection of comparable brands can be found at traditional retailers.

If you're in the market for cheaper clothing, I find that normal decent clothing retailers offer their own brand that can be competitive against more expensive brands.
There was a lot of what you describe, but none of the shirts I bought fall into that category. These are all very appropriate for business casual dress at my Fortune 500 clients. I also bought a few Nike golf shirts, some solid colors and some subtle stripes, suitable for wear at any public or private course.
As far as the store being junky, I'll take that with these prices over glitzy dept stores with commensurate prices.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 PM

42,837 posts, read 78,888,573 times
While Ross wouldn't be my first choice had I money to burn, since that's not the case I've been a regular for years. Some locations are better than others (as far as shopping "experience" goes) depending on the demographics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Are they stealing that stuff? Ross has to be the best place to find name-brand clothes at prices so low that you wonder how they are even turning a profit.
It just comes to tell you what the mark-up otherwise is! IMO Ross used to be a lot better up until a few years ago. The selection now is definitely not as appealing as it used to be. I recall a scandal some years ago about designer clothes in all sizes (not just leftovers) being rerouted directly to Ross. At about the same time things started going downhill there... That being said, I'd rather go through the racks of Ross and TJ Maxx and find the occasional quality item as opposed to buying clothes and accessories from Kmart, Wal-mart, Target, even Kohl's and (RIP) Mervyn's for the most part. I personally find excitement in hunting and a good catch, too.

Last few years I find the security tags in Ross highly irritating, but that's the case almost everywhere these days (not talking boutiques, of course)... Macy's is a department store and does the same crap. I'm not about to drag a sales person with me from comforter to comforter to open the damn tag, for instance... While I may put up with it in Ross, I'm not about to put up with it while paying retail. I'll just leave and take my business some place else. I wish I liked Kohl's merchandise because they are a breath of fresh air and still treat their customers as customers and not thieves - there are no tags, no locked fitting rooms, and no counting of items, all of which drive me nuts and deprive me of having fun. People have been stealing since the beginning of time; they didn't just start stealing yesterday! It's a cost of doing business! Too bad most stores will realize that after folding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living