Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:59 PM

513 posts, read 1,079,667 times

Advertisements

Starting a new job, with a different dress code (business casual). Took the tip from here, went to the local Ross store. I got 10 really nice short sleeve polo shirts (Nike, Greg Norman, Claiborne, Arrow, Van Heusen) for an average of $13 each. Suggested retail was anywhere from $35 to $55. I'm a happy camper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times
The store is junky and has limited selections of what appear to be picked over clothing in odd designs or defected. Sorry, I don't want a polo shirt with five different colors of stripes.

I will credit their personal use items such as athletic shorts and perhaps, underwear. However, I think a better selection of comparable brands can be found at traditional retailers.

If you're in the market for cheaper clothing, I find that normal decent clothing retailers offer their own brand that can be competitive against more expensive brands.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:35 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Ans if you are in the Southeast and Midwest, Beall's Outlet also has some very good deals similar to TJ Maxx and Marshall's.
I have NEVER seen anything there that wasnt a cheap piece of crap, no good labels at all.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
The store is junky and has limited selections of what appear to be picked over clothing in odd designs or defected. Sorry, I don't want a polo shirt with five different colors of stripes.

I will credit their personal use items such as athletic shorts and perhaps, underwear. However, I think a better selection of comparable brands can be found at traditional retailers.

If you're in the market for cheaper clothing, I find that normal decent clothing retailers offer their own brand that can be competitive against more expensive brands.
Which store are you referring to?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:39 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I have NEVER seen anything there that wasnt a cheap piece of crap, no good labels at all.
Agreed. There are better quality clothes and shoes in a dollar store than there are in a Bealls Outlet in my area which is pretty middle to upper middle class.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You haven't been there recently. They had a number of labels including PGA Tour, RL Chaps, and a number of mercurized lightweight golf shirts that normally retail at $40+ for $13. Thee were also some Dockers and other similar labels.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You haven't been there recently. They had a number of labels including PGA Tour, RL Chaps, and a number of mercurized lightweight golf shirts that normally retail at $40+ for $13. Thee were also some Dockers and other similar labels.
Maybe so, but that kind of stuff is NOT what I am shopping for.
Still no good stuff for gals.........

Old 05-02-2009, 08:34 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
I really think that their inventory varies from region to region. I have lived in 3 states and have seen the difference myself. However, in one state the clothes weren't that great but the home goods were awesome, vice versa in another. I have never liked the shoes in any of the stores. Overall, it is a good value for the money if you can find things you like.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:35 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I really think that their inventory varies from region to region. I have lived in 3 states and have seen the difference myself. However, in one state the clothes weren't that great but the home goods were awesome, vice versa in another. I have never liked the shoes in any of the stores. Overall, it is a good value for the money if you can find things you like.
The Florida stores were a lot better than some of the ones in Missouri and the Midwest. And the Beall's Department Stores themselves were similar to Kohl's.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Just like many other retailers (including Macy's) Ross has different levels of stores based on the region. "A" level gets the best labels, the nicest merchandise, and the most payroll dollars. Those are the stores that you will find the true designer labels in--not just brand names.

"B" regions will get brand names and have a decent selection, although not as nice as the "A" region stores.

"C" region stores get the junk that the other stores couldn't sell, and the real bottom of the barrel stuff- Ugly polyester shirts with orange, olive green, and fuscia patterns for example.

Go to an "A" level Macy's and you'll find the top brands that they carry, neat racks, lots of sales help. Go to a "C" Macy's and it's jsut a step above a Macy's outlet store.

That's why some people keep hearing about the great deals on great clothes in various retailers, then get there and find nothing but junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living