U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:42 PM

2,327 posts, read 6,081,508 times

Advertisements

Are they stealing that stuff? Ross has to be the best place to find name-brand clothes at prices so low that you wonder how they are even turning a profit. I don't work for them and I'm not trying to advertise for them, but I'm always amazed at what I find when I go in there. Granted, you have to dig through a bunch of crap that no one with vision better than 20/2000 would ever find appealing, but I rarely walk out of there without stumbling upon a hidden gem.

I am a Polo fanatic, and there is no telling how much money I've saved over the last couple years by purchasing my golf shirts exclusively at Ross. I've picked up shirts there for $9, then seen the exact same style hanging on the rack at Macy's adorned with a $49.99 price tag.

Other great options are TJMaxx, Marshall's, and SteinMart, but Ross just happens to be closest to my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 06:00 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,626,844 times
I find alot of great things at Ross and TJMaxx also. I do look over each item carefully. Sometimes you find holes, ink stains, etc.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:06 PM

931 posts, read 3,409,392 times
I you sure the shirts aren't recalls or mis-stitched? I see those kind of shirts all the time, but whenever I try them on, the fit is really off, usually the bottom part sticks out too far, like for a fat person or something, or there is just someone off with the shirt.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:17 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,626,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
I you sure the shirts aren't recalls or mis-stitched? I see those kind of shirts all the time, but whenever I try them on, the fit is really off, usually the bottom part sticks out too far, like for a fat person or something, or there is just someone off with the shirt.
Some are for sure. Sometimes the imperfections are marked with stickers. I started checking after I bought a dress for my daughter that had some imperfections that were very noticable. But I did not notice them when I was in the store. Now I check all the clothing I buy there to make sure it is ok.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:57 PM

3,199 posts, read 10,959,643 times
Some of the name brand clothing is okay; I always look for Liz Claiborne and a couple of other brands for work clothes. Pretty much everything else falls apart after about 2 washings. I do like Ross for decorative items, kitchen items etc. For really good name brands that you can be more sure are not 2nds or even knockoffs, are the brand's outlet stores.

Better quality clothing and shoes especially, are well worth the price if it is something you will wear often. Some trendy item just for the holidays or something, no big deal.

What cracks me up at Ross' is the candy and other "food" merchandise! God knows how old it is and how many temperature extreme's it's been through! No thanks!

The Ross where I live has, undoubtably, the slowest cashiers on the planet. You have to shop off hours or else bring a lunch.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:56 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,784,820 times
Me and my friends used to play a game at Ross called 'Find the plain white tshirt'. We had to walk around the store and find a plain white tee, no extra fancy stitching, no 3/4 sleeves, no pockets, no embellishments. After about 3 years my friend Kia finally won

Old 04-08-2009, 04:39 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,740,219 times
I like online outlets. One of my favorite is Lands End.
Shop Overstock Men's, Women's, Boys', Girls', and Home at Lands' End
I've picked up a lot of t-necks for $10 or less and the same for polos. They last forever.
Eddie Bauer's Clearance online is also good. Right now, they've got pima cotton T-necks for $9.99
Tees & Sweatshirts : Clearance : Women : Eddie Bauer
A lot of things for 60-75% off.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:43 PM

29,617 posts, read 65,648,793 times
The "secret" is that places like Ross, TJ Maxx, etc. can still generate a profit because they are still pricing their merchandise for well above what they paid for it. They negotiate deals with certain manufacturers (or perhaps even larger retailers) to purchase excess inventory of theirs in bulk for a discount, and then they pass this discount onto the customer.

If someone wanted to be especially entrepreneurial during our economic crisis they may wish to offer to buy the cheapest items they could find on there and then RE-SELL those items on eBay for slightly more than what they paid for it. Ka-ching!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:33 AM

14,930 posts, read 26,635,658 times
I do like shopping Ross Dress for Less. Yea, you do have to look through their things but it is worth it. I can find nice quality suits for less than $30 a pop. These suits would cost well over $100 anywhere else. I also got two mirrors for over the nightstands in my bedroom for only $13.99 a piece. I was shocked as I had priced out similar elsewhere and they were around $100 a piece.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:09 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I like online outlets. One of my favorite is Lands End.
Shop Overstock Men's, Women's, Boys', Girls', and Home at Lands' End
I've picked up a lot of t-necks for $10 or less and the same for polos. They last forever.
Eddie Bauer's Clearance online is also good. Right now, they've got pima cotton T-necks for $9.99
Tees & Sweatshirts : Clearance : Women : Eddie Bauer
A lot of things for 60-75% off.
Lands End also dumps a lot of their seconds and overstocks at a website called SierraTradingPost.com at a franction of their website. Look for a description that says "made for a famous catalog retailer."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living