U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:58 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,807,408 times

Advertisements

When I was in college and very broke, we used to make this dish:

1 package off brand mac and cheese. 1 can of off brand cream of mushroom soup. 1 can tuna.
Boil macaroni then mix with packet of dry cheese, soup and tuna. Serve.

Feeds 2-4 starving college kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 07:36 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,487,344 times
Rice-aroni, potatoes, Ramen and eggs worked wonders for me during college when I was broke. I like beans though for nutritious and cheap now, and great versatility.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 PM

327 posts, read 819,266 times
Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup with croutons. I like Pacific brand in a carton.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:27 PM

5,321 posts, read 10,582,073 times
I was raised by my grandparents who survived Stalin and his thugs. My grandpa always made big pots of stews and so forth that could be eaten throughout the week. One of his practices was after he cooked a whole chicken, he would remove the skin and bones and set them aside to freeze. Whenever he ran across veggies that became wilted (celery, spinach, etc) or some leftover, he would boil that with the chicken bones and skins to make broth, and it tasted pretty good.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:36 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
1 pound of ground beef
1 can Campbell's Vegetable Beef Soup
1 "pouch" of corn muffin mix

Fry beef, drain. Pour can of vegetable soup over hamburger in cassarole dish and top with corn muffin mix, which has been prepared according to directions on package.

Bake in oven according to corn muffin directions. When mix is sufficiently done/brown serve!

too yummy and very inexpensive.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 PM

4,218 posts, read 7,851,109 times
Soup that is a whole meal (usually lunch)

Boil a pot of water (I usually do a large Dutch oven and keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days of lunches) with meat (a bit of hamburger, or any leftover chicken or beef bones, no need to buy soup bones), and with a couple of bay leaves.
Add: minced onion (or green onions), shredded cabbage, finely cut carrots, potatoes, some barley pearls.
Add any greens available: dandelions, spinach, parsley, broccoli, kale, swiss chard.
Add any herbs, tomatoes, a bit of sauercraut or dill pickles (for a hint of sour, though not necessary).
Add salt and pepper.

The trick is to put enough vegetables so a spoon left in the pot would stand up almost straight. (usually a lot of potatoes)

The best eaten with sour cream mixed in it and with a slab of rye bread.

(Modification: sautee minced onion and shredded carrots with a bit of tomato paste separately until soft, and add to the cabbage/potato base. This will create a nice orangey soup that my dd loves better).

A bunch of veggies/meat used in this recipe is about $5 worth, great for several days of lunches.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:21 PM

79 posts, read 284,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
1 pound of ground beef
1 can Campbell's Vegetable Beef Soup
1 "pouch" of corn muffin mix

Fry beef, drain. Pour can of vegetable soup over hamburger in cassarole dish and top with corn muffin mix, which has been prepared according to directions on package.

Bake in oven according to corn muffin directions. When mix is sufficiently done/brown serve!

too yummy and very inexpensive.
I am going to give that a try! I do something very similar except I cut hotdogs up and 1 can of baked beans I add a little BBQ sauce and mix and then top with 1 box of prepared cornbread mix (jiffy's). I bake it in the oven on 350 until the cornbread is golden brown on top and then when hot out of the oven I cut some butter slices on top so it is nice and moist. Scoop out and serve. Cheap & kids LOVE IT!

Old 04-23-2009, 03:57 AM

9,316 posts, read 17,951,460 times
For a truly frugal meal, stay out of the grocery stores. Learn which wild plants are edible, plant some of them along with the usual garden vegetables and figure out ways to produce your own food.

Our dinner tonight was rooster salad sandwiches, green salad, green beans and water. There was about a third cup of oil's worth of mayonnaise in the rooster salad, the rest was the free rooster, eggs from our hens for the mayo and a lemon from our neighbor's tree. The bread was about three cups of wheat ground up for the flour with a few eggs from the hens and sour dough starter. The green salad was primarily from our small static hydroponic garden although we had three carrots which were bought from the store. The salad dressing was garden herbs, oil and balsamic vinegar. So, at some point we had to buy the oil and balsamic vinegar.

We've been working for awhile to produce food so this isn't something that will work overnight for most folks. However, you can start a jar of sprouts on a windowsill, plant a few greens in a flowerbed, plant some festive beans on the fence and learn to bake bread or at least biscuits. If you truly want to save money, learn how to turn a rooster into sandwiches. There are a lot more folks keeping pet chickens in their backyards and when Henny Penny starts to crow they can't do her in since she is a pet, but many of them will be quite happy to give the rooster to you and not ask questions about afterwards.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:39 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,116,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup with croutons. I like Pacific brand in a carton.
Cheese isn't very frugal anymore. I went to the grocery store today, and they had filet mignon for 3.49 each, while cheddar was 5.99 for a tad bit more - the filets were about 6 oz, the cheese was 8 oz. And those cute little glasses of pimiento cheese were 5.99! I didn't get any of them. But milk was on sale for 2.50/gal, so I got a few extras.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:41 PM

4,747 posts, read 7,535,549 times
Hamburger Beans:

Brown 1 pound of lean ground beef (we use ground chuck)
Brown gound beef with 1/2 of a chopped sweet onion

Mix with:

1 can of Butter Beans, drained
1 can of light or dark kidney beans, draines
1 can of pork & beans, not drained
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
A few squirts of Ketchup, or more if you really like ketchup
1/4 cup of brown sugar, or less if you don't like your beans too sweet
A few squirts of brown or spicy mustard

Cook in a casserole dish for about 20 - 30 minutes.

We love this with corn bread - my son adds cheese on top and hot sauce, but I don't think it needs it. (He puts cheese and Texas Pete on EVERYTHING). It feeds the 3 of us for 1 dinner and 1 lunch the next day, and taste even better the second day. Delish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living