U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:52 AM

5,321 posts, read 10,582,073 times

Advertisements

I didn't know you could freeze cheese?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 11:46 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,541,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Thanks for that description. I consider myself pretty frugal at times but I know I can't touch feeding 4 adults for .50 total costs.
Yeah...I don't have the discipline to do it all the time, but it makes entertaining easy and a lot more regular. I know if I didn't have the free time that I do, I'd never make all of it from scratch. I started just doing it because I couldn't find good pizza where I live, but when I figured out the total cost you can be sure I did it a lot more often.

cobolt- I freeze already shredded mozzarella, unopened tubs of ricotta, and hard cheeses like parm and romano. The mozzarella and ricotta, once thawed and cooked, you can't tell the difference. The parm and romano are still fine without cooking. I'm not sure about any other cheeses, but I'd assume it'd make them seperate.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:53 PM

9,961 posts, read 11,811,280 times
This you'll like, a real tasty yet healthy desert.

It's a jello salad.

1 can whole cranberries
2 can pineapple chunks
1 package raspberry jello
2 tablespoons chipped walnuts.

Open can of pineapple pouring liquid into measuring cup. If you don't get a cup of liquid add water to get a cup.

Put in tupperware bowl, place in microwave and heat for a couple minutes.

Add jello and stir.

Add pineapple chunks and cranberries mixing well.

Add walnuts and stir some more.

Place in refrigerator to cool and set up.

To cool faster you can place it is freezer but don't forget about it if you do.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:52 PM

309 posts, read 748,522 times
good recipes guys thanks

Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 AM

11,429 posts, read 19,438,504 times
I swear the chickens are turning atomic -- chicken breasts are HUGE!!!

So I take one and debone it, slice it in half so it looks like two whole breasts. I heat up a non stick skillet, and pour in a little olive oil, mince some garlic and toss that in, saute a couple of second and add the chicken. Brown it a little, and then dump on a can of tomatoes, and add some italian herbs. Cook till done.

You can make a little spaghetti and serve the sauce over that, or serve over rice, but more often than not I cook it till it's pretty dry and not saucy at all and just eat it plain.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:14 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,706,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post

Most cheeses freeze well, keep in original package, then double-bag with freezer bags. It needs at least a day to thaw, I buy cheddar in bulk at Costco, $3.99/pound.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 PM

17,749 posts, read 15,026,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Cooking your meals from home/scratch keeps coming up. So I thought a thread about frugal recipes would be a good idea...

Here's mine.

Mashed potatoes and carrots

Boil potatoes and carrots together. Mash them as you would mashed potatoes. Place in a greased casserole dish, sprinkle with a little cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 min.

What I really like about this (other than it's so easy) is it can be made a head of time, you can use your leftover mashed potatoes (just add the carrots) you can use your leftover anything (that little piece of ham, peas etc) I've put minced onion in some of mine, another lady who started do this uses salsa in the mashing process. It's a good simple recipe, with lots of options.

Okay,
what's yours

Hi RHB,

Its mostly about replacing expensive things which means buying produce in season and eating less meat. Beans and eggs do that nicely. When one does eat mean eat off the shoulder on anything but chicken in which case go for the thighs. Though whole chicken my be better if you make your own stocks(which you certainly should). Also please do use the liver and heart for dumplings.
Also if you like veg purees as in the case of carrots and potatoes try turnips, broccoli or cauliflower with cooked rice or potatoes which I like flavored with a little garlic and a bit of a fat like butter pureed together. You will find these in French recipes.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:17 PM

17,749 posts, read 15,026,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
And butter.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:13 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,706,134 times
This isn't so much a recipe than an idea. The cost of canned soup is ridiculous, but I still use it for convenience, seems there's always some left over in the pan.

I keep a big pot in the fridge an put whatever leftover soup in it, any type, just mix it all together. Then I added some chicken broth, it was great! A hodgepodge, but a great soup.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:33 AM

1,133 posts, read 3,176,838 times
This time of year zuchinnis are plentiful. I don't have a garden, but sometimes friends give me some.

I like to make ratatoulle (sp?) with them.

Chopped onion
Chopped or crushed garlic
Chopped zuchinni or other summer squash (I've used yellow squash and patty pan squash)
eggplant (optional)
diced tomatoes
Basil
Parsley
Oregano

Put some olive oil in the bottom of pot. Any other vegetable oil would work too. Put all the ingredients in, stir them and cover. No need to add any liquids. It will get quite watery but let it cook away. Stir occasionally. Cook it until it's done, 30-45 min. After cooking, if it sits a while, it tastes even better.

Eat it as is or put over brown rice or pasta.

I sometimes make very large quantities of this and it freezes well. I freeze it in 8 oz yogurt containers with the lids. Perfect meal size to reheat in the microwave later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living