U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:43 AM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,096 posts, read 1,832,326 times

Advertisements

Cooking your meals from home/scratch keeps coming up. So I thought a thread about frugal recipes would be a good idea...

Here's mine.

Mashed potatoes and carrots

Boil potatoes and carrots together. Mash them as you would mashed potatoes. Place in a greased casserole dish, sprinkle with a little cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 min.

What I really like about this (other than it's so easy) is it can be made a head of time, you can use your leftover mashed potatoes (just add the carrots) you can use your leftover anything (that little piece of ham, peas etc) I've put minced onion in some of mine, another lady who started do this uses salsa in the mashing process. It's a good simple recipe, with lots of options.

Okay,
what's yours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 06:58 AM

14,939 posts, read 26,654,208 times
Here's a thread over in Food and Drink that provides some great recipes also! http://www.city-data.com/forum/recip...l-recipes.html

Old 04-05-2009, 05:21 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,119,965 times
Chili and stir fry were our most common ones. For chili, I'd get hamburger whenever it was on sale and freeze it until I was ready to make a batch, usually 3 gallons at a time. The hamburger got browned in my big pressure canner [without the lid, naturally], then chopped onions and green peppers, then lots and lots of soaked pinto beans, which I always bought in bulk. Add a couple handfuls of rice, and a couple cans of any kind of tomatoes - chopped, stewed, diced, whatever had been on sale when I got it - then let it simmer all day, stirring regularly so it doesn't stick to the bottom. Whatever spices you prefer, hot to mild, and have it fresh and hot with home made cornbread the first few nights, then freeze the rest. It freezes very well, but I do recommend using real freezer containers if it's going to be kept for more than a few weeks. Things frozen in butter tubs, etc, tend to get freezer burned, and then the dogs have a treat.

Stir fry is basically whatever veggies are left in the fridge, along with whatever leftover meat. I always started with a slice of bacon diced, and used the bacon fat to fry up everything else. Sometimes there was leftover chicken, a pork chop, or some lunchmeat ready to spoil if it wasn't used quickly. A little soy sauce and a lot of hot cooked rice [also bought in bulk], and all the leftover bits in the fridge are gone into something tasty.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:15 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,904,438 times
Throw some chicken or beef boillon in water, bring it to a boil...add rice. Cook until done. You can throw in some mixed veggies the last few minutes if you want.

Good stuff.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:30 AM

242 posts, read 1,039,611 times
Default Frugal Recipes

Make your own ICE CREAM you do not need a ICE CREAM MAKER,may not be as creamy but as you take it out and mix it for serving sizes to eat, it will get creamy. Mix 1/4 sugar or honey and 1/2 cup whipping cream ( the whipping cream is liquid) 1/2 cu milk, 1/4 tsp Vanilla ( there are many types of vanilla flavorings so the type of vanilla u use will depend on the flavor, you can buy LEMON, ORANGE whatever flavoring you want. . WHIP THIS UP and FREEZE. You can add cut up strawberries,peaches whatever you want

Old 04-14-2009, 11:21 PM

242 posts, read 1,039,611 times
Default Frugal Recipes

Ever watch that cooking program. I just like to watch people cook. Sandra Lee's Semi Home Cooking, she has Frugal Recipes for you gals out there and guys.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:48 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,814,204 times
I think the key to frugal (and simple) cooking is using as few ingrediants as possible.

Cut up boneless, skinless chicken breast. Sautee in soy sauce or bbq sauce or another simmer sauce until done. Serve over rice with a salad or green beans.

Coat chicken breasts in italian bread crumbs. Bake. Then top with spaghetti sauce and parmesan or swiss cheese. Bake until cheese melts. Serve with a side of spaghetti and green beans or salad.

Sautee Pork chops or pork loin in a simmer sauce (Soy sauce, teriyaki, etc.), flipping often to cook both sides. Sprinkle with pepper. In the meantime, sautee diced potato and onions in butter (or Smart Balance), sprinkle with salt, pepper and/or garlic seasoning. Serve with a salad or green beans.

Sprinkle fish (orange roughie, tilapia, etc.) with lemon juice. Season with pepper or Old Bay. Bake. Then for side dish: boil whole wheat pasta. Drain. Mix pasta with butter and parmesan. Serve with a vegetable.

Last edited by springfieldva; 04-15-2009 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 07:42 PM

8,516 posts, read 3,815,502 times
My mother who grew up in the Depression made the following.

Macaroni and tomatoes. Just boil 2 cups of elbow macaroni, add one large can of tomatoes (she used to can her own tomatoes), add some butter and onion salt. Yum.

If there is any of the mac and tomato left, mix in some sharp cheddar cheese, and top with some cheddar cheese. Bake. Now that's a yum-yum.

Sometimes, not usually, she would also add bacon and bacon fat for flavor. Not very healthy, but very tasty.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:56 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,492,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Sometimes, not usually, she would also add bacon and bacon fat for flavor. Not very healthy, but very tasty.
Bacon fat is not always as healthy as olive oil, but the taste to amount ratio is much higher. You pretty much have to use fat sometimes, you might as well make it as flavorful as possible. I'd rather use 1/4 the amount of unhealthy but tasty fats then the full amount of decent healthy fats.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:08 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,848,304 times
I cannot deal with a soup that is made of bouillion cubes. They are high in sodium and fairly expensive. Good soup is very inexpensive.

What parts of the bird are in demand? The deboned breasts and the wings, You can get a number of parts of chickens and turkeys- the necks, breast bones, backs, and leg quarters for almost nothing.

Take those parts, simmer for 2-3 hours with 4-5 ribs of celery, 3-4 sliced carrots and a small onion.

After 2-3 hours, remove the bones from the soup, and remove any meat off of the bones. Add salt and pepper to season.

Preparation time is about 15 minutes and you can make gallons at a time and freeze up a batch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living