U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2009, 06:46 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,042,129 times
Reputation: 202

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
As a matter of principle ( ego? ), I rarely ever pay the asking/posted price for anything. Paying full price makes me more uncomfortable than asking for a better deal. Not everything I ask for seems reasonable, yet my unreasonable offers are sometimes accepted. Don't get hung up on being reasonable. It could cost you $$$$. To overcome your dis-comfort in regard to ASKING for a better deal, next time you feel uncomfortable, don't resist it...FEEL it instead, and you'll discover that it won't make you melt. I guarantee that you'll live thru it. If you get embarassed or self-conscious, embrace it. Accepting those feelings WILL save you thousands of dollars during your lifetime, without the expense ( probably DEBT ) and time committment of a college degree. So what if you get a red face? Big deal. Enjoy the experience of having a red face.

TIP: Remember that you are ASKING for ( not demanding ) a better deal, and that ASKING allows space for the other person to say NO, which leaves you no worse off than you were before you asked. More importantly, ASKING also creates a POSSIBILITY for a better deal. If you don't ask, the POSSIBILITY for a better deal does not exist. When you start asking, you will be pleasantly surprised at how often the POSSIBILITY becomes a REALITY!
My last post probably looked like a criticism of Cosmic Wizard. I didn't mean it that way. I agree that some negotiating in an upright way is a good thing. I was just talking about a guy who drove it to the extreme. It wasn't related to Wizard. His comment just jogged my memory about that guy who bought my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2009, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,056,578 times
Reputation: 42834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
Some of these negotiation gurus teach the same kind of stuff. They say when buying a house, any stage is fair game, especially at the end when everybody is mentally counting their money. That's the best time to throw in a monkey wrench and ask for even more concessions; right there at closing. I think that's a nasty way to do business. What good is saving a dollar if everybody despises you?
I couldn't agree with you more.

Your post brought up a memory for me. My first condo was in a "six pack." One of the people buying a unit read one of those negotiation guru books and thought he was "clever" when he not only played games with the seller but also twisted the association's arm to get some extras done to the outside of his condo. We had to go along with it because the seller was in a bind. But it sowed the seeds of a long, deep resentment. We had to put off putting a new roof on because we had to pay for those little perks. I sure hope those buyers enjoyed those extras because we never gave them a break again.

It was very personal, since the condo association was just six homeowners. We felt this couple were jerks, and the hard feelings lasted a long, long time. We were usually pretty lax on rules violations--except with them. They invited the rest of the association to parties but you know what, nobody ever went. None of us liked them.

They finally moved out ten years later, the president made a point of citing them for rules infractions. As I recall he even insisted they pay for ripping out a garden they had installed in the common area without getting proper permission. We were jerks to him, and you know why? Because they were jerks to us when they first bought the place and put the squeeze on the rest of us just to get "everything you can from a deal."

It's sad that life gets that way, but there you have it.

The wife used to whine and complain "I don't know why people treat us so bad." Well, it was because we felt they went too far trying to milk freebies. In the long run, I don't think those extras they made us buy for them were really worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2009, 10:27 PM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,042,129 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
I couldn't agree with you more.

Your post brought up a memory for me. My first condo was in a "six pack." One of the people buying a unit read one of those negotiation guru books and thought he was "clever" when he not only played games with the seller but also twisted the association's arm to get some extras done to the outside of his condo. We had to go along with it because the seller was in a bind. But it sowed the seeds of a long, deep resentment. We had to put off putting a new roof on because we had to pay for those little perks. I sure hope those buyers enjoyed those extras because we never gave them a break again.

It was very personal, since the condo association was just six homeowners. We felt this couple were jerks, and the hard feelings lasted a long, long time. We were usually pretty lax on rules violations--except with them. They invited the rest of the association to parties but you know what, nobody ever went. None of us liked them.

They finally moved out ten years later, the president made a point of citing them for rules infractions. As I recall he even insisted they pay for ripping out a garden they had installed in the common area without getting proper permission. We were jerks to him, and you know why? Because they were jerks to us when they first bought the place and put the squeeze on the rest of us just to get "everything you can from a deal."

It's sad that life gets that way, but there you have it.

The wife used to whine and complain "I don't know why people treat us so bad." Well, it was because we felt they went too far trying to milk freebies. In the long run, I don't think those extras they made us buy for them were really worth it.
Interesting story. The lesson about treating people properly is very clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2009, 10:30 PM
NCN
 
Location: NC/SC Border Patrol
21,136 posts, read 21,129,613 times
Reputation: 23168
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
I have a FIL that doesn't pay the cost of anything. Even if it's on sale he will ask for another 5 or 10 percent off. Unfortunately, price haggling is very hard for both my husband and I. Very uncomfortable with it.

I would love to hear from people that do and how they do it.

We are looking at getting quotes for some landscaping work done in our yard and my FIL is telling me to ask the one I like best to take another 10% off the bill. Does that seem fair?
Price haggling to me is just another form of greed. Then the next thing you know they are unhappy with the job done. Why, because they were not willing to pay to have the work done right in the first place. No, I don't haggle. I pay full price and I pay after the work is done right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 07:25 AM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,042,129 times
Reputation: 202
Closely related to price haggling is the practice of businesses to 'upsell' you. It mildly irritates me when I go to Subway, make my order and say 'that's all', then they still ask me if I want chips and a drink. All Subways do that everywhere. I don't get angry at the minimum wage kid just following instructions, but the policy bothers me.

What REALLY annoys me is the Greek place downtown. When I was going in there several times a week and ordering just a gyro, they would always ask: "Would you like the value meal?" No thanks. "Would you like a drink with that?" No, thankis. "Chips?" No. Just a gyro and nothing else. "How about a dessert?" This went on every single time, even when I tried to preempt the questions in advance. The only reason I put up with it as long as I did was I liked their gyros. Then the damn guy would overcharge me by a few cents. I would correct him and he'd say, "Oh, OK. Sorry." And then to make matters worse, he'd flirt like hell when some pretty secretary came by, letting them go first, giving them free drinks--all this when I had to fight this daily battle just to get a goddamn sandwich. Finally I got tired of being treated like I was a gringo in some Mediterranean street market and quit going there.

Now there's a new spot that makes excellent gyros. A dime cheaper. I just go in, make my order, and pay for it. Amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Right where I want to be.
4,507 posts, read 7,825,943 times
Reputation: 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Price haggling to me is just another form of greed. Then the next thing you know they are unhappy with the job done. Why, because they were not willing to pay to have the work done right in the first place. No, I don't haggle. I pay full price and I pay after the work is done right.
See, the practice of buying and selling goods, products, services isn't a one way street. It always involves both parties coming to agreement on a price. You choose to give all the power to the seller, I choose to exercise my power in the transaction. It's not greed, it's just business.

Contractors will often offer discounts if you mention their ad on the radio or in the phone book, if you give them a referral to someone else needing their services, some even send coupons and fliers out offering discounts. It only shows the prices are negotiable, just sometimes you have to ask. FWIW, I've never had a bad job done due to asking for a discount. As PP mentioned, you have to treat people with respect. Discount or not, if you pi$$ people off it could cost you. Treat people right and they'll treat you right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 07:39 AM
 
756 posts, read 1,945,583 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Price haggling to me is just another form of greed. Then the next thing you know they are unhappy with the job done. Why, because they were not willing to pay to have the work done right in the first place. No, I don't haggle. I pay full price and I pay after the work is done right.
You obviously don't know my FIL! Never have I met a more generous person. No, as far as I know, he's VERY happy with a job well done.

Some people overcharge ridiculously and some people are fools to pay full price.

I am trying not to be that fool!

Greed goes both ways!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 07:44 AM
 
1,330 posts, read 1,042,129 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
You obviously don't know my FIL! Never have I met a more generous person. No, as far as I know, he's VERY happy with a job well done.

Some people overcharge ridiculously and some people are fools to pay full price.

I am trying not to be that fool!

Greed goes both ways!
I don't deal with bastards who ridiculously overcharge. I consider them crooks, because certain customers, senior citizens and such, may not be very savvy, then get taken advantage of. These thieves don't deserve a chance to get my business through haggling. If I don't like service person's price, I don't use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
Reputation: 9287
Eeeee22895 wrote:
Closely related to price haggling is the practice of businesses to 'upsell' you.
The upsell tactic is so pervasiive and commonplace that I routinely take a pre-emitive strike by saying I have everything I want, don't try to sell me anything else. The people who teach this sales psychology crap ought to be sent to Siberia. They must think that customers are complete idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2009, 12:55 PM
 
Location: CA
2,464 posts, read 5,686,944 times
Reputation: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
See, the practice of buying and selling goods, products, services isn't a one way street. It always involves both parties coming to agreement on a price. You choose to give all the power to the seller, I choose to exercise my power in the transaction. It's not greed, it's just business.

Contractors will often offer discounts if you mention their ad on the radio or in the phone book, if you give them a referral to someone else needing their services, some even send coupons and fliers out offering discounts. It only shows the prices are negotiable, just sometimes you have to ask. FWIW, I've never had a bad job done due to asking for a discount. As PP mentioned, you have to treat people with respect. Discount or not, if you pi$$ people off it could cost you. Treat people right and they'll treat you right.
Well said. I agree. A good negotiation is where both parties walk away satisfied - that's a win-win situation. All our contractors did a great job and gave me a better price and in return I gave them my business (and will in the future) in addition to referrals (I pass out their business cards and show people their work). So, I'll reiterate your statement, "it's not greed, it's business."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top