U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:10 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,961,653 times

Advertisements

"Win-win" continues for the next time you do business with the person, too. We are always "haggling" about prices but generally we will buy a lot of things at a garage sale or someplace where the person selling the goods produced them and then ask if we can have a group discount. If we get one, fine, if we don't, that's also fine. We always ask for the discount for reasons other than something wrong with what they are selling, too, we never talk down their "stuff". We may be poor and unable to afford the asking price for their wonderful things, but their stuff is still all wonderful things. One of the major reasons why I'd rather give stuff away than to resell it at a garage sale is if I give it away it is still a wonderful valuable item but if I sell it for a quarter at a garage sale, then well, it probably isn't as wonderful as I thought it was, now was it?

We also do a lot of bartering. Lately, I've been swapping Rhode Island Red chicks and baby ducklings for all sorts of things. Vegetables at the farmer's market, lunches at the local cafe, herb plants, a bird cage, some yard work, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:39 PM

142 posts, read 245,376 times
In the thriftshop I work at prices can have some leeway. Depending on how long the item has been on the sales floor, if it has been damaged since it was priced, did we miss seeing any damage when we priced it, how crowded or how empty is the salesfloor, if the customer wants a group buy, say he will buy the couch and the coffeetable, can we throw in a couple of lamps or give him a break on the price of the coffee table. There are those that push it and become irritating. On the sales floor we okay after discussing it with the manager , a 20% break. We tell the cashier and go somewhere else in the store. Five minutes later the customer is asking the cashier to take even less. Sneaky babies are quickly marked as such and pointed out to each salesperson by the salesperson he's annoyed. Such customers are often left to wander alone next time. We will hide in the backroom when the dirty old men and when the customers that jerk us around come in. You want a great price? Don't talk to my breasts or try a full frontal hug. No nasty comments about needing some customer service while smiling at my chest. Don't say baby are you married? God I'm ranting just thinking about the ones that treat us as their entertainment. We are not allowed to be rude back, but we can take our break or work in the backroom pricing. Polite well mannered customers get great service. We are so happy to see one of the nice ones. We all gang up to be of service and give the best possible price, even saving stuff for them, so they have first dibs. Nice means they say hi and smile with eye contact. And if worker A says one price, they don't keep asking other workers to underprice worker A while she's out of sight. Let me tell you that might work once, but not the next time you come in. And last, if we watch you remove the price from an item and then take it to the cashier hoping she will charge a .25 for a 3.00 bowl, we will price it double. The cashier is trained to squawk loudly for customer service when the price stickers are missing or crumpled. We are grateful when our customers are honest and polite and try to repay in kind. A guy lost a job opportunity here yesterday when his wife was caught trying to sneak a .50 item out by placing it inside another item. I remembered she had it in her hand walking up to the register, because I was behind her. Then I stopped to answer someone's question. When I got to the register, I asked her if she had changed her mind about the item. Because it wasn't in sight. She looked startled, then shamefaced and pulled the item out of hiding. While this was going on her husband was asking a coworker about working here. He had a chance till she tried to steal from us. Come on now people give us a break and I promise you will get one too.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,466,791 times
I do sometimes haggle at "privatly owned" stores if the price of something is a dealbreaker for me. And of coures, I always haggle at pawn shops. I don't usually haggle at chains or restruants, unless there is some problem.

I recently signed up for digital cable/phone and haggled for several days. I ended up getting a much better deal than if I would have taken the advertised package

Old 04-28-2009, 04:03 PM

540 posts, read 1,174,888 times
Did you know auto parts stores price match?

I needed a diesel truck radiator, and a new one from Advance Auto goes for $350.00. Yikes! I was replacing one that had served me well from a junkyard, $50.00. Another decent junkyard one could not be found.

So I shopped around, including on-line. I told my Advance Auto guy that I found one on-line for $175.00. He couldn't go that low and his was thicker and had 2 tranny coolers in it, but he did go down to $225.00 with a lifetime warranty. I brought my old one to a scrap metal recycler who gave me $20.00 for the junker

I am very happy with the deal I got. It takes a little research and a few phone calls and it is well worth it.

Auto Zone wouldn't deal because it was a special order item. Always call several places and talk to a manager

Old 05-01-2009, 05:48 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,965,749 times
I'll haggle for some things, but I'm not going to ask a cashier in the grocery store to give me a discount on a gallon of milk. I'm not going to ask someone who I know is not authorized to give discounts to do so and put them into an uncomfortable position.

I've found that if you regularly give a place your business that they will often give you a discount or some little incentive without your even asking. I shop at a woman's boutique for most of my clothes. They are expensive and yes, I do often pay full price. But they are very high quality (I'm wearing a pair of pants from there right now that I've worn every week for the past five years and they still look like new!) and I feel worth the price. At any rate, often the manager will give me a small discount or they'll throw in some sort of incentive gift.

But I don't walk into Old Navy expecting to get a further discount on the 3 for $18 t-shirts I'm buying.

A lot of time it just depends on what I think their markup is. I don't haggle with my lawn guy because I think his prices are very fair and he's not making huge profits. I will haggle with the guy that I need to hire to paint the putside of my house in a year or two, because I know that they build a pretty high profit into the price they give you. I didn't haggle with the plumber for an emergency service call, but if I was hiring them to do some non-emergency work, I'd probably try to get them down a bit on the price.

I've also done OK haggling a bit on hotel prices by calling the hotel directly and speaking to the manager. But in one case I know it's a very small hotel (only 12 rooms) and they just can't offer Priceline type rates and still pay their bills, so I'm happy to get about 35% off in the slow season.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I come from a small town and tend to get annoyed at people who are always asking for discounts. I sold my house to a guy who sold cars for a living. He gave me crap from start to finish, always bringing up new things, always want this and that. It was during a slow period for house selling. About 1990. Even at closing, he shook his head saying he 'couldn't do it'. The attorney ended up giving him a price break.

Afterwards, mustering up all the politeness and diplomacy I could, I say, "Wow, that wasn't an easy sale, was it"? To which he responded "yes, but what I did made you tougher, didn't it?" What it did was make me hate his guts.

Some years later when he was refinancing his loan, he called me about a piece of paperwork that he'd lost to see if I had a copy. After all that time, I was still blistering with anger. I simply replied that I couldn't help him. Yeah, he got some price concessions, but he also got some eternal enmity.

Some of these negotiation gurus teach the same kind of stuff. They say when buying a house, any stage is fair game, especially at the end when everybody is mentally counting their money. That's the best time to throw in a monkey wrench and ask for even more concessions; right there at closing. I think that's a nasty way to do business. What good is saving a dollar if everybody despises you?

When we sold our house, I was straightforward about the price and what it included. The buyers became progressively nasty and demanding the closer it got to closing time. The first set of buyers backed out at the last minute after failing to get us to drop the price by $50,000. Even though this price had been okay with them for the previous two months.
The second set of buyers had to sign a much tighter agreement but they insisted my second hand appliances stay with the house. My husband was getting the money from the sale, not me. To get the money from him to start over I left my stove and fridge. But the new cabinets that hadn't been installed yet left with me. As did the pictures I had promised of the house at each stage of construction. I was real happy to hear they were upset about the cabinets. Since the cabinets weren't attached to the house they weren't part of the sale. I had verbally promised them to the couple before she started whining for my posessions. I warned them if they started making changes in our original agreement I wouldn't hold by my end. And those cabinets? I gave them away my first week in my new home. With a sweet smile.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:59 AM

I settled my brother-in-law's estate by sending everything that everybody wanted to auction and paying his bills. I was worried on like a chew toy and haggling went on at my door and on the phone about what things were worth. Family members said what they wanted wasn't worth anything, it was for memory sake but declared if brother Bob really was going to get the stereo he should pay the others $5,000. A true price quote. I finally walked each member through the house and said let me know what you like best and I will remember that. The next day I made sure everything they wanted was sent out for sale.This post isn't about haggling in a store. But the haggling in my house over a dead man's things made me disgusted with his family. I thought my solution was good.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,584,520 times
I never haggle over money.
I consider it a lower activity and I am not interested in participating in it.
If the marked price is more than I want to pay, I don't buy it there.
When I sell something, I price it fairly.
If a potential buyer doesn't want to pay that price, he can shop elsewhere.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:36 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,490,270 times
I don't much, there's really only a few places to do it (usually service only places) but I use coupons and sales where I can't. Where I can I try it, never to bully or threaten, usually I just say something similar to "I like this item, but the price is too much for me to afford at the moment so I'll have to come back when I can". If you can haggle, people usually respond well to that because you're respecting them and want to buy from them...but everyone understands finances are tight and would rather have a little bit less then no business so we both benefit. Wants are unlimited while resources are not, so I try to maximize the value of resources so I have more for my family and not screw him/her and their family.

Last edited by subsound; 05-29-2009 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-29-2009, 08:40 PM

2,700 posts, read 5,155,440 times
I have tried to haggle a few times at regular retail stores -- inspired by various t.v. news segments I've seen that claim haggling is possible -- but I've had no success. On one occasion, I was at a Pier 1 and they had a tchotchke that was damaged and still on display and only moderately marked down. The regular price was $20. I told them I'd buy it for $10. They said they couldn't sell it to me for $10. So I left without it.

Another time, I was at a Broadway Shoes (or whatever the heck the store is called), and I found a pair of shoes I was interested in buying. They were selling them for $47. I told the clerk I'd buy them for $42. Again...the store said they couldn't do that, so I left without the shoes.

So... I've tried a couple times to haggle, and I've never been successful. Also, both times, when I got to the register, I opened my wallet and pulled out my cash so that the clerk could see I had cash and wouldn't be charging the items. Those t.v. segments I had seen said that this often helps to seal the deal. *shrug* It didn't work for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living