U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:23 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times

Advertisements

It depends on the item. If I am buying clothing from the clearance rack I will ask for another 5-10% off the marked price. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't, and sometimes the clerks will give it to me automatically because they remember me from last time. If it's a big ticket item like furniture or an appliance I will haggle hard to try to get money off, free delivery, etc. I bought my couch on sale at Haverty's and managed to get them to deliver it for free, and when I bought a huge LCD TV at Fry's I got 5% off the marked price plus free delivery mostly because I was stubborn about it.

I think the key to haggling is to be polite but firm and if the person you are talking to is not open to the idea, ask to speak to the manager. Some stores do not allow sales clerks to take money off the marked price so they are just doing their jobs if they tell you no, but managers have more discretion. Be polite but firm and if you cannot get the discount you want be prepared to pay full price or walk! But do not be ugly or aggressive if you ever want to shop at that store again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 09:40 PM

54 posts, read 220,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Yes, it seems fair.
Many people are uncomfortable haggling. And in some cases, it really can't be done. I know that when I go to the supermarket, I'm not going to ask the checkout kid if they can cut $.25 per pound off the price of my pork loin. But in the case of hiring a contractor to do some work, sure, why not haggle? The guy gives you a quote, hoping to get your business. A nice, polite haggle might be something like "Hey Jim, I like what you have to say, and I think I'd like to hire you, but I need to ask you to cut down the price by $XX. Ccan you manage that?" The worst thing that happens is that Jim says he is priced as low as hecan be, and you need to accept it or let him walk. And what will you have lost?

My one recommendation is that you haggle politely, professionally. This comes from a guy who has people ask me to lower my fee all the time. And I have no issue with that. I sort of like the process, and certainly expect it. Hell, if I can't show you why I'm worth what I'm asking you to pay me, then you shouldn't hire me anyway. But when someone says something like "You're just trying to suck every penny you can out of me, and what you do isn't worth what you want me to pay," the negotiation ends and I walk out. No need to work with people like that.
I definately feel your pain on the last comment. Some people who are not polite with the haggling try to lessen the value of your time and knowledge of your field. Those are the ones that I don't budge on and let them call the "cheaper guy" so they can get a "cheaper job". Then they pay twice to have me come back and fix what Mr. Cheap did wrong. Funny how that works, huh?

Old 06-24-2009, 04:05 AM

420 posts, read 296,990 times
I never haggle, because I hate it when people do it to me. I can't be a hypocrite in this circumstance.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:46 AM

929 posts, read 1,823,445 times
Sure. I think it is more important to have a price in mind. Another words, what is that item worth to you. For me, it is almost always lower than the posted price. If I don't get my price, I don't buy. Do I have to walk away sometimes? You bet, I have no problem with that. Now, do I expect them to make a profit, sure I do, but I also have my price. I don't waste much time trying to haggle on a price, I get someone who can make a decision and they either cooperate or I leave. The larger the price, the harder I haggle. If it is a business that worth its salt, they want to make you happy, so you will be a return customer.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:56 AM

Basically, modern day salesmanship has gone to the dogs with the like of us as customers.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
Craig121 wrote:
Basically, modern day salesmanship has gone to the dogs with the like of us as customers.
Craig, I've had a similar thought that goes like this: the modern day sales process has gone to the dogs with the likes of some modern day salespeople!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:03 AM

What salespeople are you talking about?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 AM

Mostly salepeople I've encounterd inth car buying process, replacement windows and other in-home salespeople. Worst of all is some of the salespeople I've encountered in the big box stores. On the other hand, some salespeople are very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 AM

6,154 posts, read 10,890,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Mostly salepeople I've encounterd inth car buying process, replacement windows and other in-home salespeople. Worst of all is some of the salespeople I've encountered in the big box stores. On the other hand, some salespeople are very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.
There are no salespeople in the big box stores. They are clerks, order takers, at best customer service reps. They can point out where stuff is, they might be able to tell you a little about the product, but they certainly don't care if you buy the item or not. They get an hourly wage, regardless of what anyone buys.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 06-24-2009 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 06-24-2009, 09:33 AM

I was being generous! I gave all of the clerks, order takers, & customer service reps a promotion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living