U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:48 AM

179 posts, read 852,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The more you discount, the more difficult it is pass through price during good times. Every dollar you discount your services is a dollar you reduce your profits.
Not to mention clients will not like to see a decrease in rates followed by an increase when the economy turns north. That alone could easily lose more clients than maintaining rates during an economic downturn.

There are far more variables to take into consideration than just continuing to survive for today. Living for today is part of the reason this economic mess exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 11:02 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,596,860 times
Requesting additional % off the quoted price is fair and is common where I live. There are exceptions because we understand that food stores prices etc are wrtten in stone but we have no problem in "arguing" the point of paying less for any service or paying less for an item in any store.

We have lawn service and our guys do not charge us to keep our plants trimmed. They keep our palm trees nicely trimmed and flowers and garden weed free. This came into fruition when I gave our guy a laptop computer when I heard his daughter needs one. We also gave them our high end stereo equipment. We informed him that it would be nice if we bartered for work and he said sure.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:08 AM

420 posts, read 297,236 times
Would anyone here request 1% off a $1 DVD?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:43 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
If I was buying a 100 of them, I'd ask for a better price. For just one, I'd whip out a buck and pay for it.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:20 AM

5,412 posts, read 8,281,590 times
I also haggle all the time. I can't help myself. It's part of the game and it doesn't embarass or offend me. I haggle with contractors, retail stores (local stores as well as chain stores like Target, Best Buy), etc. I even try to barter my business services where I can. I often ask for discounts when I buy 2 or more of something or if something appears even slightly damaged. For local businesses, I always mention when I've referred customers to them and often receive discounts for this.

The new thing I've started haggling for is, believe it or not, medical services. It all started because, in an effort to save some money, I cut back on some of my medical benefits (I own a business and provide medical insurance). E.g. Since I didn't have dental insurance, I found a dentist who would give me a discount.

Then, one night I found myself in an emergency room with a broken bone. I knew that I had reduced my hospital benefits so I didn't know what was covered. First, I told the emergency Dr., I didn't think I had coverage and to keep the diagnosis cheap (he motioned for me to approach the nurses station, gave me a quick synopsis of my injury and I never received a bill from him). I also got a reduced bill from the x-ray tech as I also explained the issue to him (he coded the bill for the minimum service). I didn't accept any extra bandages, aspirin, etc. for fear of the bill. Come to find out, I did have the complete hospital coverage and everything was paid. But it's nice to know that even hospital bills are negotiable...

Old 06-26-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I'm in a service industry where we are all free to charge what we feel we are worth. I welcome "hagglers" and negotiators.
Great! I also negotiated down my realtor's commission quite a bit. But I was a very aggressive seller (with price, staging, advertising, etc.) and sold my house w/in 30 days in a down market. So it's a win-win for both of us!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:57 AM

Default Just another thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The more you discount, the more difficult it is pass through price during good times. Every dollar you discount your services is a dollar you reduce your profits.
OR, another approach could be to discount your price while also reducing your costs (pass on the savings to your customers). E.g. if you are selling a product, you can focus on reducing manufacturing, vendor, shipping, inventory, transaction costs, etc. You may attract new customers by keeping prices lower than your competitors in a down market. If you have discounted your price while equally discounting your costs, you are not reducing your profits. Or, if you attract more business (and referrals) due to your decreased prices and generate more sales dollars, you have increased profits and can expand your business. This is what innovative stores like Walmart, Ikea, Home Depot have done (keep prices reduced by significantly lowering costs - particularly reduction of channel/supply chain, shipping and warehousing costs).

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 06-26-2009 at 09:05 AM..

Old 06-26-2009, 02:35 PM

304 posts, read 782,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
Would anyone here request 1% off a $1 DVD?
no

Old 06-27-2009, 09:19 AM

420 posts, read 297,236 times
I mean't to say 100% of a $1 DVD.

It seems that everyone wants something for nothing, and by god, don't pass that comsumer crap onto the kids, I don't want to have to tell them to do one when they annoy me when I try and sell my wares. I will show them the door and the floor on their way out.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:26 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,522,595 times
You can definitely price haggle on real estate commissions - especially in these times. I've done it twice and got a 1% off the commission. That can be several thousand dollars depending on the price of the house.

I was at a Home Depot a couple of winters ago and needed a new snow shovel. There was one that looked like a quality shovel and there was only 1 left. It sort of looked used, like someone in the store used it. The price was around $20. I pointed this out to the checkout lady and she couldn't give a discount, but called over a manager. I told him I would buy it, but wanted 50% off. He offered 40% and the deal was made. In reality, I would have purchased the shovel at full price, but hey why not try. They can only say no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living