U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:31 AM

420 posts, read 297,877 times

Advertisements

Haggling on real estate means that someone is going to lose out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:36 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,470,226 times
Not haggling on real estate means that someone is going to lose out.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:13 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,526,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Not haggling on real estate means that someone is going to lose out.
I'd rather not be the one to lose out. Besides, full service real estate commissions are overly inflated anyway. Lots of fluff built into the rate.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:53 AM

110 posts, read 380,483 times
When I was younger, haggling made me uncomfortable. But I now work in a profession where you have to haggle with reps and vendors for supplies and clients will come to you and haggle about their bill so I've gotten much more used to it. I now question nearly every bill and transaction I make because I've come across the "Well you didn't ask so we didn't tell you about the lower price" routine too many times so now I just look out for myself. My fiance and I went shopping at the upscale mall one weekend and he was shocked that I got us discounts at two of the three stores we visited merely by asking if there was a "recession special" at the register. I have negotiated rent at renewal time. I negotiated a very expensive watch at Macys once and the sales person said no at first but finally relented when she had a hard time getting her manager to come by the register; since then I have gone back and bought several other items from her because she was accommodating the first time.

This week my brother and I sold a printer and TV to strangers. We would've sold the items for cheaper than we listed because we really needed to get rid of the stuff. We were shocked that the people who came to buy our items didn't even bother to haggle and just handed us cash at the list price. Guess not everyone is looking for a bargain.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:55 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,496,636 times
i have been thrown out of a dental office for questioning charges. american dentists have lost many thousands of dollars for failing to discuss price with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living