Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 05:46 AM

304 posts, read 904,498 times

Advertisements

How do you all feel about buying a house way below your means?

The reason I ask this question is when my hubby & I bought our current home 7 years ago, a well respected business manager in town called me out on "stealing" a house someone less fortunate than I could have had, while the surplus houses in our price range weren't selling...BTW we paid $45,000 more for this house than what we sold our last home for (different town) - so we didn't feel like we were stealing anythingdidn't even cross my mind.

We are talking about moving to a less expensive area, and are convinced we can find something 1/4 to 1/2 of what we purchased this house for like a small rental house property - nothing fancy, but has to have good "bones." Is it wrong to do this? We know what we can afford and frankly - I don't want to show off or keep up a house like that.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 05:49 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
I think you can buy whatever you want!

Why do you feel badly about this - seven years later?

Old 06-26-2009, 06:13 AM

304 posts, read 904,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I think you can buy whatever you want!

Why do you feel badly about this - seven years later?

I agree, and I don't feel badly about our purchase...like I said, it never crossed my mind that we would be perceived as "stealing." But I also see the point he was trying to make and talking about moving has brought this idea forward again.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:58 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,427,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
The reason I ask this question is when my hubby & I bought our current home 7 years ago, a well respected business manager in town called me out on "stealing" a house someone less fortunate than I could have had, while the surplus houses in our price range weren't selling...
And this guy is a well-respected business manager??? Sounds more like a hypocrit to me, unless he passes up the best deals for his business so that other, less fortunate businesses can snag them and prosper.

His case makes absolutely no sense to me. You didn't buy the only house in town and you didn't "cheat" anyone else out of anything. You simply bought a house that met your needs at a price point that made sense for you. Happens every single day.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:37 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
There are lots of "well respected business managers", "finance professors" and waaaaaaay lots of "bankers" who are living way too far above their means.

We always lived (house and car wise) waaaay below our means. The last (literally) mortgage that we ever took out was for a house that cost $125,000, our gross income from salaries was about $120,000/year at the time and we had another $40,000/year in outside income. The mortgage guy told us we should be buying a "much more upscale" house. We told him to pound sand.

Buy the house you like in the neighborhood you like.

golfgod

Old 06-26-2009, 04:43 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
How do you all feel about buying a house way below your means?

The reason I ask this question is when my hubby & I bought our current home 7 years ago, a well respected business manager in town called me out on "stealing" a house someone less fortunate than I could have had, while the surplus houses in our price range weren't selling...BTW we paid $45,000 more for this house than what we sold our last home for (different town) - so we didn't feel like we were stealing anythingdidn't even cross my mind.

We are talking about moving to a less expensive area, and are convinced we can find something 1/4 to 1/2 of what we purchased this house for like a small rental house property - nothing fancy, but has to have good "bones." Is it wrong to do this? We know what we can afford and frankly - I don't want to show off or keep up a house like that.

What are your thoughts?
My thought is to tell this self-important nitwit to mind his own business, or simply ask "Jealous?" - particularly with the real estate market as it is, it does not make much sense to "stretch" to buy more house than you can comfortably afford.

In general if someone makes a remark like this - they think I should spend more - I turn it around to "because I am smarter than you."

If this "well respected business manager" never speaks to you again after you flip him off, well, great.

You should avoid buying anything from his business as well.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:10 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
Hi. Good for you. What a wise move. Don't let someone else that may have an agenda unsettle you.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:33 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,287 times
What a load of cabbage. I would tell the respected business manager to mind his own business. You did a smart thing and it sounds like you will continue to do smart things. I see too many people with way more house than they need, way more car than they need, way more debt than they should have. You are to be respected, the business manager, not so much...

Old 06-27-2009, 12:05 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
Quote:
, a well respected business manager in town called me out on "stealing" a house someone less fortunate than I could have had,
That's just ridiculous! Seriously. What a load of dung-flavored malarkey!

Old 06-27-2009, 12:39 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,679 times
I agree with all the comments. Did the business manager have a list of people you supposedly "stole" the house from? I doubt there were even people you had to bid against; am I right? My husband and I bought a house for super-duper cheap which had great bones - very structurally sound. The house was on the market for over a year! No one was very interested in the poor house but now everyone compliments us on the good job we're doing to make it not an eyesore. We put in a lot of labor (all our own) and some money to make it nice again. We don't buy the most expensive things - why do that? We have always had vision when it comes to houses, and I think it is great that you want to buy another house for even less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living