U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 03:25 AM

860 posts, read 1,706,182 times

Advertisements

When you take that walk be sure to stick a bag in your back pocket for treasures. Look around. Go to your library and find out what edible herbs might be in your woods. Young wild berry leaves make delicious tea chok full of vitamins minerals. So do soft new spruce tips. Fiddle heads will be popping up soon as will stinger nettles. Both delicious eating to chase away the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 05:49 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,056,578 times
Boy, I'd be afraid to eat anything wild I found growing in my neighborhood. Too many people living around here who are always spraying with pesticides, not to mention dogs pooping, etc.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:48 PM

298 posts, read 624,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
Boy, I'd be afraid to eat anything wild I found growing in my neighborhood. Too many people living around here who are always spraying with pesticides, not to mention dogs pooping, etc.
I wonder what happens to the fields that produce the food we eat at the supermarket ...

Old 04-11-2009, 10:49 PM

Walking is one of the best exercises ever. It is easy on joints and so relaxing.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:45 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,256,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVbulldawg View Post
I wonder what happens to the fields that produce the food we eat at the supermarket ...
I think what VAtoNC means is that in crowded neighborhoods you never know what sort of chemical may have found its way into the sort of plants that you'd find along a sidewalk. Think about it, thousands of people walk there every day. They drop things, they spray things. Toxins can spread via storm drains. Not only pesticides but chemicals like oil, paint, etc.

On the other hand, farm fields are large contained areas. The farmer is the only one spraying pesticides at a farm. They are regulated, and the crops that are sold are inspected.

Like VtoN, I also think picking wild food is not a good idea. You are not being frugal if you have to see a doctor because you got a stomach illness or a rash from picking wild food while out taking a walk. My son once got very sick eating berries from a neighbor's yard. Wild "greens" often look alike. You may pick some leaves that you think are "fennel" or "chicory" or whatever, and in reality you've picked something poisonous.

Watch the movie "Into the Wild." A young man flees to the Alaskan wilderness, where he survives all sorts of danger--bears, the cold, etc. What kills him is eating a plant that he had mis-identified.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:03 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,726,154 times
I love walking though I really need to up the mileage. We take bags along to pick up discarded recyclables. Makes the planet a cleaner place and so relaxing/invigorating.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:12 AM

11,355 posts, read 11,088,066 times
I walk every day, I love it! I'm blocks from Lake Michigan so I not only walk the neighborhood but also on the beach! I usually take a bag to pick up stuff, too especially now the snow is gone, lots of left overs although the city is trying to catch up!

Old 04-12-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I think what VAtoNC means is that in crowded neighborhoods you never know what sort of chemical may have found its way into the sort of plants that you'd find along a sidewalk. Think about it, thousands of people walk there every day. They drop things, they spray things. Toxins can spread via storm drains. Not only pesticides but chemicals like oil, paint, etc.

On the other hand, farm fields are large contained areas. The farmer is the only one spraying pesticides at a farm. They are regulated, and the crops that are sold are inspected.

Like VtoN, I also think picking wild food is not a good idea. You are not being frugal if you have to see a doctor because you got a stomach illness or a rash from picking wild food while out taking a walk. My son once got very sick eating berries from a neighbor's yard. Wild "greens" often look alike. You may pick some leaves that you think are "fennel" or "chicory" or whatever, and in reality you've picked something poisonous.

Watch the movie "Into the Wild." A young man flees to the Alaskan wilderness, where he survives all sorts of danger--bears, the cold, etc. What kills him is eating a plant that he had mis-identified.
I understood VtoN's point. My point is:

Hot Issues ~ CSPI's Food Safety

Really, we don't know what happens to food in our neighborhood or the food in our stores. Period.

One person chooses to learn how to identify wild foods, and one person chooses to rely on our food inspection system. The first Americans all ate wild food. Many of the pesticides used on our regulated crops are questionable (and, I believe, not available for use by regular people.)

Calling either method safe or dangerous is not really true. Each choice has risks.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:32 PM

860 posts, read 1,706,182 times
This is where a little education about your surroundings comes in. I'm not suggesting you go out and start grazing. Your local library probably has a great section on the wild edible and medicinal plants in your area, as well as how to identify those you should be aware of. Sorry folks, it just comes so natural up here to know what's out there and how to use it. I guess this pretty much applies to those living in rural areas. Pretty hard to gather wild plants in metropolitan areas, sad to say.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:42 PM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,831,339 times
HSV, I think you hit the nail on the head...LEARN to identify.

When I've taken mushroom hunting classes, they always tell you how to id it, what to look for, warning signs, and when you first pick, pick one, eat half save the other half. The half you eat, if you feel bad at all, you and the other half go to the docs, so doc knows excatly what you have eaten. I've done it now a couple of years, and have never once been to the doc.

Wild greens, I do the same thing, and again have never been to the doc for eating wild greens.

The information available is so detailed that I'm finding it very hard to pick something bad - I think also miss some good stuff, because it didn't match the book 100% I also don't do anything on the road side, because of the spray, and gas emmissions.

This tread is about walking though, and for me in my current lifestyle, it's something I do while walking.

I think it's a personal choice, and a real factor is where you live...I never gathered wild foods when I've lived in towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living