U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:27 AM

281 posts, read 874,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Why did you tip for a pick up? I must be cheap, I never do that.
I never order food for pickup, so I can't say what I would do personally.

However, I was just reading something the other day that suggested you should tip for pickup. The person who takes your order, gets it all ready, and puts through the check is usually the bartender. While they're doing all that, they're being taken away from serving patrons at the bar and collecting their tips. So I guess you're supposed to compensate them for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 07:34 AM

10,700 posts, read 20,119,835 times
Interesting.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 AM

756 posts, read 1,945,323 times
I KNOW I have to cook more! We spend way too much money on grabbing food on the go. We are a very busy household with 3 teens playing sports. I am really trying to plan out meals in advance now. For 1, to be healthier and 2, to save money. Casseroles are easy to reheat in the microwave so I try to make those a few times a week.

I don't like cooking or trying to constantly come up with new ideas about what to cook! But it does save money and is a lot healthier for us!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 AM

2,663 posts, read 5,884,416 times
The wife and I come from the generation and culture that survives off of frozen pizzas, sanswhiches, frozen vegetables, and such. $30 is like 3 or 4 days worth of groceries from Shop-N-Save or Walmart or something . Geez.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 4 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,488,669 times
I really think most restaurants are a big waste of money. My DH and I will occasionally go out to eat as a treat. The last time we went to Applebee's for lunch and it was $20.00 for a small soup and salad, a plain burger for my DH, and 2 soda's. It was a complete waste of money. For less than $5.00 I could have made a much better meal at home and I usually do.

Needless to say we won't be wasting our money anytime soon at a restaurant. It will be many months before we eat at a restaurant again. At least when I cook our food I know what we are getting.

I do like the Rotisserie Chickens though. They make a great meal plus leftovers.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:38 AM

2,663 posts, read 5,884,416 times
What does DH stand for? I see that all the time in threads and I know it means significant other - but do not know exactly what the letters stand for.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:49 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,019,755 times
I used to eat at least 10 meals a week out. I've dropped that to 5, and am pleased with weight lost and money saved.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:53 AM

5,554 posts, read 5,867,138 times
DH = Dear Hubby

Old 04-09-2009, 10:04 AM

281 posts, read 874,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I used to eat at least 10 meals a week out. I've dropped that to 5, and am pleased with weight lost and money saved.

That's a lot of eating out! Good for you for changing your habits!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:04 AM

3,553 posts, read 6,785,657 times
younglisa wrote;
Quote:
I do like the Rotisserie Chickens though.
The second rot chicken reco on this thread. They are pretty good and I'll grab one a lot of time at Costco.

We've been buying the bag or box salad greens for a couple of years now and find they fit our needs perfectly. We usually have some carrots or radishes in the fridge for snacking so we'll slice some of that in the salad to "dress it up", my wife always buys the boxes of croutons and we probably have 5 or 6 bottles of various salad dressings in our fridge.

We always buy the frozen Tyson (I think) chicken tenders, throw 2 of those in the microwave to partially defrost (I can't stand meat cooked or reheated in the micro) and it slices easier if only partially defrosted. Throw the small pieces in a little olive oil, chop in some onion and a small can of mushrooms, a bit of garlic (we buy the jars of minced garlic) and put a cup of minute rice on.

She usually makes the salad while I start the main meal, we eat the salad while the rest simmers. We started doing this when we both still worked and it cut down my waistline and gave me more time to read instead of driving to a restaurant. We do enjoy going out but it's usually for lunch. I'll bet I could make this dinner in the time you could drive to a restaurant and back.

For the record I've never really liked Outback, and never liked Applebees until I tried their Asian salad. If I've been in Applebees 25 times the last 8 years I've probably had that salad 24 times, a burger the other time.

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living