U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 AM

281 posts, read 874,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
That's close to what I spend on a month's groceries!
How the heck do you only spend $60-80 on groceries??

This week I'm determined to get our groceries as close as possible to $50 - usually we spend about $100 - and it's going to be tough! I can't even imagine spending $60 for an entire month!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 05:18 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,118,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
How the heck do you only spend $60-80 on groceries??

This week I'm determined to get our groceries as close as possible to $50 - usually we spend about $100 - and it's going to be tough! I can't even imagine spending $60 for an entire month!
First of all, there's only me and the pets. If it isn't on sale, I don't get it, with the exception of milk, eggs, and butter - but if milk and butter are on sale, I buy extra and put it in the freezer. I buy in bulk as much as possible, and I cook from scratch. When I make something like chili, I plan ahead and get the various ingredients on sale and freeze what's necessary until I'm ready to make it. Then I make about 3 gallons, and freeze it in small plastic containers. I make a lot of soups and stir fry. I do a fair amount of dehydrating, so I get a lot of apples and onions when they are cheapest, so I have about a year's worth of dried chopped onions and enough dried apple rings to make a year's worth of pies, cakes, and applesauce. And in season, there are usually people who have overflow of veggies from their gardens - hopefully, this year I'll be one of them.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:50 PM

15,197 posts, read 16,049,554 times
We try to cook Sunday through Thursday and we make a menu on the weekend and buy everything we'll need. The menu is on the fridge and whoever gets home first starts cooking. It eliminates the "what are we going to eat tonight?" blues and also keeps you from throwing out fresh food you bought with good intentions but didn't do anything with. I usually plan more elaborate meals earlier in the week and easier things for Wed. and Thurs. when I know I'll be tired and tempted to grab take-out somewhere. You can also plan super quick meals (like frozen pizza and bag salad) on nights when your kids have activities. It will still be cheaper than eating out.

It's hard to get into the weekend planning and shopping routine, but I think it's worth it.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:26 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,490,270 times
Some places are really stingy for value, either in size or quality. It always makes me disappointed to go a restaurant and after eating my meal I think to myself "I could have made this" and have to pay ~$12 for it on average. I like places that serve things I can't make (either by ingredients, equipment or technique) or that are interesting/new...same old same old stuff it's cheaper to make at home, often healthier, you can add what you like instead of set ingredients, and you don't have to pay the markup for boozing it up!

I love cooking honestly. With good ingredients, a few good techniques (I love Alton Brown's shows to come up with ideas), and a crock pot (low and slow is great for beans and cheap cuts of meat to get otherworldly flavor)...it's pretty easy to beat any chains food in price, taste, and health with all the fat they dump in for flavor.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:03 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,602,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Ordered salads to go from Outback tonight. They were $11.95 each. Chicken caesar salad. For that price, being an entree salad and not a side salad, I expected them to be huge. Got home and we were shocked to take them out of the bag and see that they were not huge salads at all; I would call them more a side salad size. I felt totally ripped off.
FYI, if you're a Costco member, they have huge chicken Caesar salads for $12. Enough to feed 3 -4 people.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:11 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,542,209 times
DH and I just went to Applebees for the 2/$20 special the other night. We caved and tried them after years of boycotting because of the prices and shady food quality. Two bacon cheeseburgers (cooked medium rare) and a huge portion of spinach dip for $20 is a really great deal if you don't want to do the work. Add in a $2.99 margarita (absolutely delicious, not frozen, and not sickly sweet!), and we got out for about $30. Not bad for heavy tippers and not having to do any work. We didn't even get halfway through our burgers, and were able to have a good lunch the next day.

We eat out more than we should, but that's because we're both young and in college and most of the time a $7 meal for each of us (buffet, weekly specials, casual carryout, Subway) can feed us for the day and give us more time to relax together. I think I actually save the most money food-wise by making everything I do cook from scratch. I've gone months where eating out was done cheaper than eating in, and I've gone months where every time I shop the "total savings" due to specials or sales is more than my overall bill! I think this month, going out and household/pet supplies included, we're at about $350-400. But next month will probably be half that, as we tend to buy in bulk and we're stocked up. My personal rule is to never buy meat at more than $3 a pound, and so far my freezer is stocked with venison, leg of lamb, porterhouse steaks, and shrimp. You just have to wait and shop the sales. And in that sum, all our vegetables, milk, and cheese are organic.

(btw on a complete side note, for caesar salad fans, try this recipe: 1/4 cup grated parm cheese, 1 clove grated garlic, 1 mashed anchovy filet, juice of 1/2 lemon, and 1/4 cup of light vegetable oil. It's much higher in the good fats, and when you toss it with your salad, you end up using a lot less because the flavors are so vibrant. It's a rip-off of the Italian Pie caesar, and once DH and I tried it, we never went back to the gloppy, mayo-y kind. But if you like creamy, sub mayo for oil and a touch of milk/cream to loosen it, omit anchovy and add pepper, and you have the Carrabbas house parm dressing.)

Old 04-25-2009, 06:14 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,427,088 times
suggestion go out buy 2 really good steaks, and best idaho potatoes you can get. cast iron them with garlic and onions n butter micro the potato. lay out linen with candles wear a suit and tie when the meal is over present yourself with the outback mock bill then tear it up and laugh and laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living