U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:37 PM

79 posts, read 284,376 times

Advertisements

I buy at Wal-Mart because we don't have a Sam's or Costco real close to us. Anyway, we get 2 meals out of 1 chicken. One night I serve it with baked beans or cold salad like potato or macaroni salad. That night I take all the meat off the bones and put it in a bowl and refridge we either have chicken salad sandwiches for lunch or I mix mayo,celery& chopped walnuts w/ the chicken and put it on top of a salad or we have chicken tacos for dinner the next night I mix it with a little water 2 tbs of taco seasoning heat in pan on stove top or mix with a little water and jar salsa heat through and make tacos w/lettuce,tomatoes,sour cream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 06:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,802 posts, read 37,476,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
This is the recipe that I use to make cole slaw! It's delish!
a thrifty alternative to cole slaw is 'silage', you can bring it home by the truckload. (and garnish your chicken)

Old 04-14-2009, 05:47 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,811,221 times
I get our rotisserie chickens from Giant. My family likes the "bourbon" basted ones the best. Right now a Giant close to us is running a special where you get a rot. chick, a package of Dole iceberg lettuce, and 7-UP for (I think) $7.00.

I sometimes get a Costco chicken but my family prefers the ones from Giant.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:48 PM

8,516 posts, read 3,813,995 times
I get rotisserie chicken from Wegmans. By the time, I buy the raw whole chicken its around $4.00, then have to season it, cook it using gas, clean up from it, it's actually cheaper to buy one from Wegmans at $4.99 plus tax, grand total $5.39.

Can't really go wrong on this one.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:30 PM

28,894 posts, read 15,973,677 times
As I posted in another thread, I like Costco's rotisserie chicken. As someone else mentioned, I take the meat off the bones and use it for making chicken salad for sandwiches or for making chicken fried rice.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:02 AM

18 posts, read 87,660 times
I'll probably get in all kinds of trouble for this but I generally feed the skin to my dog and cats...they love it & I actually only feed each of them a little bit of it & throw the rest away. It's an occasional treat for them.

I usually buy mine from Sam's but when I lived near a Costco, I bought them from there. Either place is good. I don't know that your theory on bigger chicken = bigger bones/more air space. I used to get them at Winn Dixie (when we were in AL) sometimes but they would just feed our whole family of six...the ones from Sam's or Costco will feed all six of us with leftovers for dh & I the next day. Definitely meatier.

Btw, Walmart rotisserie chickens aren't the same as Sam's...they're smaller.

I don't know about the flavor. I like the flavor of the ones at Sam's & Costco just great & the flavor does get down into the meat somewhat. It's so juicy & flavorful! I've tried lemon chicken and some others at other grocery stores...and they were good, but not better than the seasoning at Sam's/Costco.
Stacie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
Lots of people mentioning rotisserie chicken in different threads. So I thought I'd start a new thread and try to get the tips in one place.

Is it better to buy rotisserie chicken in Costco, or your local grocery? Any tips for choosing your chicken? My guess is you'd want to choose the small chicken and the one that looks cooked the most.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:16 AM

253 posts, read 686,538 times
Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
The dressing sounds great, never realized vinegar and mayo would mix. I have some low fat yogurt and basalmic vinegar, not quite the same but I wonder if that would work? I'll have to try it.
it should, since most mayo is made with vineger.
and most slaw recipies call for both vineger and mayo.
never tried yogurt and vineger, but im almost certain i saw a recipie somewhere that called for both....now im off to check my cookbooks...you could try online search for recipies that call for yogurt and vin.
i recently tried a salad dressing(sold in a bag of greens) it was a sweet dijon vinegrette....OMG....was it sooooo good.....of course, i cant fnd it on shelves anywhere....so going to search online for a way to make it.
never thought id like something like that, but it was sooo good.
i did find a version similar to it thou at store, ive used it as a marinade for both chicken and pork....family went nuts over it...it was awsome!!!
IMO....most marinades on any meat only flavor the outside, unless you poke random holes(with a fork ro whatever) thru out the meat and then soak the meat in the marinade and for best results...put it all in a ziplock bag and freeze it...the marinade really gets into the meat that way.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:33 PM

20,310 posts, read 37,804,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlady71 View Post
it should, since most mayo is made with vineger.
and most slaw recipies call for both vineger and mayo.
never tried yogurt and vineger, but im almost certain i saw a recipie somewhere that called for both....now im off to check my cookbooks...you could try online search for recipies that call for yogurt and vin.
i recently tried a salad dressing(sold in a bag of greens) it was a sweet dijon vinegrette....OMG....was it sooooo good.....of course, i cant fnd it on shelves anywhere....so going to search online for a way to make it.
never thought id like something like that, but it was sooo good.
i did find a version similar to it thou at store, ive used it as a marinade for both chicken and pork....family went nuts over it...it was awsome!!!
IMO....most marinades on any meat only flavor the outside, unless you poke random holes(with a fork ro whatever) thru out the meat and then soak the meat in the marinade and for best results...put it all in a ziplock bag and freeze it...the marinade really gets into the meat that way.
Yep, one of the folks at King's BBQ in Petersburg, VA once told me their cole slaw dressing was homemade: mayo, sugar, vinegar. He said "equal parts" of each, but everyone should tweak that to their own tastes.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:08 PM

540 posts, read 1,174,888 times
I will buy a bunch of chickens when they are on sale for .69lb and throw them in the freezer.

I'll thaw 2 at a time and prop it on a half filled, (with oj or lemon juice and spices) soda can. I rub the chicks with olive oil and then pat with a spice mix. I like a little brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder and cayenne, salt and black pepper.

I stand the chickens up in a roasting pan with a little water on the bottom, stick in a hot oven ,400' for 20 minutes to get a nice dark color, then turn it down for another 45 minutes or until done.
Standing them like this ensures that all the skin get crispy, and no fancy rotisserie needed.

We get several meals from this. I got the idea from the beer can chicken recipes on the grill, but we like this too. I like the smell of them cooking and they are a little cheaper this way

Old 04-24-2009, 09:08 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,602,480 times
I can buy a huge, delicious rotisserie for $5 from costco. Family of 5. Eat half along w/ a starch and veggie. use the rest in flautas or fried rice or soup. make broth from the bones and some veggies. I can't beat that at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living