U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 06:21 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,060,778 times

Advertisements

Lots of people mentioning rotisserie chicken in different threads. So I thought I'd start a new thread and try to get the tips in one place.

Is it better to buy rotisserie chicken in Costco, or your local grocery? Any tips for choosing your chicken? My guess is you'd want to choose the small chicken and the one that looks cooked the most.

My theory about the smallest chicken is that they all weigh the same, so the bigger chickens probably have more airspace or bigger bones. Thus the smaller chickens would have more meat. But I don't know if this is really true.

Some stores sell rotisserie chicken with "flavors" like tequila lime. Does that matter? Or is it just flavoring on the skin, which I throw out anyway.

And speaking about that, before I throw out the skin again is there a practical use for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 06:31 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,343,312 times
I try to get a medium size chicken, figuring the smaller ones are not as healthy and the larger ones have more fat or are tough. May be a totally incorrect assumption. I have a tabletop rotisserie, so when chickens go on sale, it can be very economical. And the chickens smell out of this world while roasting.

I like the different flavors, but when the skin is removed, I can't tell much of a dif. My MIL used to combine mayo, vinegar and sugar to make a dipping sauce. It is about the consistency of salad dressing*. It can be made sweeter or more tart by adjusting the vinegar and sugar. It's really delicious and, although not low fat, is a good alternative to eating the skin.

*This is great as a salad dressing, too- something my mom has made for years. Lettuce and onion salad: Chop up a head of iceberg lettuce and toss with the dressing and diced onlions. Must be served right away.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:35 AM

812 posts, read 2,079,494 times
the size of chickens and amount of meat is different from say costco or a regular grocer. the costco chicken is a lot larger and has more breast meat, i definitely noticed.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,060,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I like the different flavors, but when the skin is removed, I can't tell much of a dif. My MIL used to combine mayo, vinegar and sugar to make a dipping sauce. It is about the consistency of salad dressing*. It can be made sweeter or more tart by adjusting the vinegar and sugar. It's really delicious and, although not low fat, is a good alternative to eating the skin.
The dressing sounds great, never realized vinegar and mayo would mix. I have some low fat yogurt and basalmic vinegar, not quite the same but I wonder if that would work? I'll have to try it.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:23 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,259,218 times
Wegman's sometimes has a good deal on those pre-cooked chickens (they put signs in the window when the chicken goes on special). But if it's not on special, Wegmans and other grocery stores aren't as good as Costco.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:40 AM

10,871 posts, read 41,162,985 times
As a poultry producer, I'd say go for the biggest chicken you can find ... not the smallest.

At 8 weeks growth, the larger chickens are the healthiest and had the best feed-to-weight gain during that time. Yes, they probably put on more fat then the smaller birds, which means that they also have more flavorful and tender meat.

If we have birds in our production that aren't putting on weight and size along with most of them, we'll cull them out. It isn't worth the feed and space to keep them going past 3-4 weeks. Many times, these are the birds that won't pass USDA inspection on slaughter.

There's a lot to do with the genetics of the birds re weight gain on feed during their 8 weeks. We've had chicks from suppliers that hardly put on any weight at all, and some that all turned out to be excellent ... all from the same suppliers, in different batches. The large suppliers in the business don't have any means of quality control with this, as they buy their chicks from smaller independent farms that raise eggs for hatching and hatch them. Sometimes we get excellent genetics, sometimes we dont'. When you're selling the final product by the pound, it makes a big difference to us as a producer.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:21 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,048,183 times
My wife does her won in a Oster electric rotisserie cooker-uc cheaper. She uses Texjoy steak seasoning . About half of what you pay at the store and better IMO.I am not much on chicken but chicken salad made from a roasted chicken is great.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:34 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,237,161 times
We don't have a Costco locally (darn it) but we often get a rotisserie chicken at Sam's Club. For less than $5 we get a tasty meal the will serve 4.

Grocery store rotisserie chicken seem to be anorexic by comparison.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,800 posts, read 37,476,508 times
go for the big bird, as the fryers are young and not too fatty. (Tho not sure about chemicals) I wondered if the monster Costco Chicks were on steroids!,, Costco has pretty rigorous purchasing requirements, and being headqtr'd in the PC PNW I was trusting them. The bulk of great tender breast meat kept my 'left-over' chuckwagon stocked for a week. Too bad they dropped from 5# to 3# chick offerings, but they are still much better than chain grocer chicks.

I prefer Costco since they don't garnish with herbs and garlic (which suits me as an ex-fruit / chick / veggie farmer). Now If we could just get those Costco cinnamon rolls back !!

Old 04-11-2009, 11:20 AM

14,938 posts, read 26,645,784 times
I don't have a Sam's or Costco nearby but will buy these from Wal Mart. The deli is right by the produce at our store. I take the chickens over to produce and weigh them in their containers and take home the highest weight. The price is the same for all.

I also like to keep one in the freezer. They make great chicken salad and go well in so many dishes that call for cooked chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living