Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,472 times

Advertisements

This is a topic that a lot of people do not like to talk about, but I inherited 4 cemitary plots, and I live too far from them to use them.
does anyone know how i could advertise them as for sale?
I have talked to the cemetary director and after he told me their value he offered to buy them for pennies on the dollar. I know that if we went that way, he would turn around and charge some family the full price for the plots. I would rather sale them to a family for half their value than think I was involved in such a scam type operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 PM

26,115 posts, read 48,712,075 times
I tried using ebay but had no luck trying to sell the two extra ones that my parents bought in Elkridge, MD. Shortly thereafter, I got an unsolicited offer in the mail from a firm in Reston, VA that helps people sell unused plots. We never contacted them, as I was a bit miffed at them somehow getting my name and address from ebay (or from ???).

My father in law has TEN unused plots that his parents were suckered into buying in Falls Church, VA many years ago.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,952,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I tried using ebay but had no luck trying to sell the two extra ones that my parents bought in Elkridge, MD. Shortly thereafter, I got an unsolicited offer in the mail from a firm in Reston, VA that helps people sell unused plots. We never contacted them, as I was a bit miffed at them somehow getting my name and address from ebay (or from ???).

My father in law has TEN unused plots that his parents were suckered into buying in Falls Church, VA many years ago.
Where in Falls Church? And how much do things like that cost? I live in VA, and it occurs to me that with the economy in free fall, this might be a good time to buy something like that. Sooner or later we'll need it.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:33 PM

939 posts, read 3,377,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda wills View Post
This is a topic that a lot of people do not like to talk about, but I inherited 4 cemitary plots, and I live too far from them to use them.
I have talked to the cemetary director and after he told me their value he offered to buy them for pennies on the dollar. I know that if we went that way, he would turn around and charge some family the full price for the plots. I would rather sale them to a family for half their value than think I was involved in such a scam type operation.
Craigslist or Ebay.

Or you could donate them. A couple of years ago there was a house fire that tragically killed a 3 yo child. The family is very poor and had no insurance or money to give their child a proper burial. My mother got in touch with the family through the funeral home and offered to donate a plot that we would never use. They were very grateful and accepted the donation. Maybe someday you could do something similar.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:52 PM

589 posts, read 1,553,318 times
You can try placing an ad in the local newspaper. With luck somebody might respond; with the economy on a downturn more families are opting to cremation.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:58 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,283,471 times
THey were commonly advertised in the part of WA where I used to live, both in the regular newspapers and in the freebie papers. From what I remember of the prices being asked and the current costs, I'd say the people selling got their $$ back in full, plus whoever bought them also got quite a break as well.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:02 PM

15,853 posts, read 34,999,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda wills View Post
You say you would rather SELL them to a family? Well, just advertise. Try Craigslist. Be sure to put in the ad.... "Lovely view". I always have to giggle at ads for CEMETERY plots that say that.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,559 posts, read 57,481,475 times
Try a local senior newspaper, many areas have them or post at the local 'senior meal center', or activity center,
If you get to the 'donation mode' you can also check with local senior services center, hospice, or VA.

Never know... They might come in handy.

You could be very 'entrepreneurial' and offer a 'package deal'. There are inexpensive funeral home services that most people don't know about, and you could help direct them through that and into your plot! (saving the 'uninformed' several thousand dollars)

I my parent's case...The siblings would not go for cremation, so... I got to be creative for one of my parent's arrangements, as well as take a 2,000 mile 'road trip' + rent a backhoe for the burial. I dropped by Wyo and picked up a Fiberglass vault (which saved me $1000 and ALOT of hassle over a cement one). It was a real 'bonding' experience, and one that was recommended by a funeral director who was going to have to charge me a few thousand $$ for similar services.

Your 'inheritance' topic raised my interest... I inherited a lot of bills + 32 yrs of elder care from my folks, I like to hear of other interesting stories (Like yours!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living