U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:16 AM

14,932 posts, read 26,635,658 times

Advertisements

While I realize that I live in one tiny place in our great big world and only interact with a small number of people compared to the worlds census; I still have observed that people practicing simple and/or frugal living seem to be nicer than those that don't actively and purposely practice. I often think that part of it must be that those that aren't trying to "keep up with the Jones'" are stressed out from financial problems?

In your neck of the woods what are you experiencing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 08:10 AM

18,264 posts, read 6,949,526 times
I have encountered nice frugalers and bad frugalers here. My town I think is almost a perfect model for "keeping up with the Jones"

Last edited by Future Trooper; 04-12-2009 at 08:19 AM..

Old 04-12-2009, 01:45 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,487,344 times
People will be people, no one group will be much more insane then the next on average.

Honestly more people in the frugal area of life have been real twits to me then other people. They take so much pride in frugal living, and usually ones who talk to me practice very hardcore environmentalism, they like to either crow about it like I care or try and make me change my life to be like them because "They know better". All I want is to be left alone when I'm trying to take the commuter bus home.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:12 PM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,830,969 times
I don't know, I've come across frugal people who it was their "calling" to stretch a penny until it screams, and condem anyone who doesn't. I've come across non frugal people who make fun of the frugal people for not having the newest and best, and blame them for the economy (they aren't spending to keep the economy going)

Most of the people I hang out with, and this is why we hang out, is that they are accepting of different lifestyles, family needs, and the choices others make.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:33 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,116,464 times
I've known some of each in both camps. The worst - IMO - are the ones who find themselves suddenly in the position of having to make do with a lot less than they were accustomed to. They can get really irate at no longer being able to live in the style to which they'd become accustomed, and still feel a sense of entitlement. Some of the happier ones are the ones who use what they have to enjoy life, while being aware that it might all come to an abrupt halt. One man I knew said they'd lived before on what he could poach; if necessary, they could do it again, and he had a camper on his pickup they could live in if necessary. They were one of the happiest families I've ever known.

It's more a matter of using what one has, rather than being used by one's things, I think.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:41 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,253,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I've known some of each in both camps. The worst - IMO - are the ones who find themselves suddenly in the position of having to make do with a lot less than they were accustomed to. They can get really irate at no longer being able to live in the style to which they'd become accustomed, and still feel a sense of entitlement. Some of the happier ones are the ones who use what they have to enjoy life, while being aware that it might all come to an abrupt halt. One man I knew said they'd lived before on what he could poach; if necessary, they could do it again, and he had a camper on his pickup they could live in if necessary. They were one of the happiest families I've ever known.

It's more a matter of using what one has, rather than being used by one's things, I think.
Nicely written! I agree, some frugal people are nice, but some are so self righteous you want to smack them. Some are angry and nasty. And on the other hand, while some people who live "wastefully" are not nice people, there are plenty who are generous and pleasant to be around. IMO, how frugal you are has no connection to how nice you are.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 5 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,681,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post

I've learned that feeling of enjoying what you have and knowing that it could dissapear tomorrow. I think it translates into understanding that life is there to enjoy and see the beautiful things, and let tomorrow happen. With me, being frugal is a necessity but I love that I don't waste too. But I won't dump on someone because they don't "hold to my standard". Maybe some day, but then I haven't always been like this either.

I think if you know things are how they are now and could dissapear on you you learn to live with today, draw all the good you can and stop worrying. I still plan and dream but should they not come true the dreaming itself was rewarding enough.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:12 PM

298 posts, read 624,164 times
I think people have different reasons for being frugal (those that have to because they overspent beforehand, those that want the security that comes with having a cash cushion, those who are just stingy with their possessions and can't part with money for any reason - even for charity or to bless their children, and there are many other reasons.)

So, I don't think that frugal people have cornered the market on being nice. However, from my experience, people who are alike in values tend to trust and get to know others who have similar values and outlooks naturally (and tend to have to work a bit at getting to know and relate to others who are less like them.) So, if you are frugal, it makes sense that you would notice that other frugal people are nice. Whereas, people who have overspent or who put more value on having the latest and greatest stuff probably either just can't relate to your lifestyle as much or (sometimes, not all the time) feel threatened or guilty around you because you're a reminder of the money they are not saving or the discipline they don't have (not all big spenders have a lack of discipline - but some do.)

Old 04-12-2009, 09:09 PM

936 posts, read 3,012,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
While I realize that I live in one tiny place in our great big world and only interact with a small number of people compared to the worlds census; I still have observed that people practicing simple and/or frugal living seem to be nicer than those that don't actively and purposely practice. I often think that part of it must be that those that aren't trying to "keep up with the Jones'" are stressed out from financial problems?

It depends on if they live a frugal lifestyle by choice or if they have to due to their economic status.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:19 PM

4,851 posts, read 8,319,922 times
Smile Frugal Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post

NO, No and no.

There is a thing called balance. Too much frugalness is annoying esp when it affects others; the other way (spending too much) also. Stay in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living