U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 PM

242 posts, read 1,038,795 times

Advertisements

Oh you are? Use 1 tsp of cornstarch, instead. What ta prevent MOLD growing on CHEESE, wrap it with a sugar cube, take sliced cheese and get a sugar cube or better yet, sprinkle sugar on it and wrap in freezer bag or plastic wrap. Are ya out of OIL? grease with a potato. No BUG ME... Put a bay leaf in your FLOUR, Rice and Dry mixes. ================================================== =I like to reuse my freezer bags, so I wash with dish soap and water, you can reuse them so many times. ================================================== = I do this all the time, take two buckets, place them in the bathtub, put some laundry soap in them, put hot water in them, take you clothes, what ever you want and place in the water, let the clothes soak 1/2 to one hour, NO NEED FOR A WASHING MACHINE. Empty the buckets and rinse your clothes under the tap water, and hang to dry. If you want you can use the laundry type bleach. NO AGIATATION NEEDED. ================================================== =I use WHITE VINEGAR for hard to remove stains in my clothes. Ink Stains, I am known for INK STAINS, I put the white vinegar on the stain, then I rub in baking soda to make a paste. You let it dry and then you wash in your machine or SOAK in the bucket.=========================================== = You all know how to use BAKING SODA, well I use that for years to for my drains and as a oven cleaner. Also to sprinkle on the carpet let it sit there for one hour and then vac it up. ================================================== =I seen this in a magazine years ago. Take your old magazines and clue them together and find a board or an old door, and you can make a " coffee table" or a table to store your books on. NOW that is really cheap to make. ================================================== =Years ago, I went to the used furniture store, and I bought these End tables, they were longer than any I have ever seen. I got 4 for $15 each. I took them and stacked them on each other and put them in my CLOSET. I had INSTANT SHELVES! I thought wow! I am a genius.... LOL! ================================================== = I made a KENNEL 2 years ago with PVC PIPES and CONNECTORS and VINYL CHICKEN COOP WIRE and then I went online and bought THE BEST STURDIEST CLEAR TARP which has thick threads woven through it, never leaks like the regular tarps you buy at the hardware stores. I got gray tarps and put to the other side, because I didnt have the money to order the CLEAR WOVEN type. Make a good KENNEL. ================================================== =I take the CAT LITTER WHITE CONTAINERS TO store my LAUNDRY POWDER INSIDE. ================================================== =The Cat litter that comes in those PAPER BOXES, when the litter is gone, I find contact paper and cover the outside and store my MAGAZINES in them. I like the Marbled look. ================================================== = Ya run out of shaving cream for your legs, use Hair conditioner. ================================================== = I take BEET ROOT POWER and add little water to it with an eye dropper and use this for ROUGE. LOL ================================================== =I clean some jars out and make my own NUT BUTTERS and store in the wider jars. ================================================== =I have more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:20 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,946,933 times
Those are good tips.

We roll strips of newspaper around wine bottle bottoms and crimp/fold the edges over to make starter pots for plants. Once the seeds have sprouted the whole pot can be planted in the garden. There is a wooden tool you can buy to do the same thing, but wine bottle bottoms work, too.

For cleaning copper cookware, dip a lemon in salt and wipe it over the copper.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:33 PM

242 posts, read 1,038,795 times
Default Are ya short ONE EGG?

THank you. Oh you love Hawaii? I use to live there for 21 years. Over there at one place I lived at, I told the cooks to save me the red and green pepper seeds. So I planted them in the soil and I have like 50 pepper plants! Well, you can save yourself MONEY and use WHITE VINEGAR and SALT and that is cheaper than buyin LEMONS and we know how expensive LEMONS are now days!

Old 04-19-2009, 01:00 AM

9,316 posts, read 17,946,933 times
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize lemons were expensive, so maybe using them to clean copper pans is not a frugal idea in some areas. My neighbor has trees full of lemons and limes so he just lets me have as many as I want. My tree is full of avocados, so I give him pears (alligator pear/avocado) because he is nice enough to give me lemons. Trading abundance for abundance creates more for everyone.

Which island did you live on? Are you enjoying where you are now?

Old 04-25-2009, 08:33 AM

5,500 posts, read 19,506,418 times
I have trouble reading the posts with all the ==========

Old 04-27-2009, 08:05 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,339,447 times
Is there any way you can space out your text in paragraphs? I too, have trouble reading these.

That said, conditioner IS better than shaving cream I've always used it because it feels better/smoother afterwards, not because it's cheaper, but that's just an added bonus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or