U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:29 PM

15,187 posts, read 16,039,895 times

Advertisements

Here's a great essay on dumpster diving: Dumpster Diving by Lars Eighner (http://www1.broward.edu/~nplakcy/docs/dumpster_diving.htm - broken link)

I read it years ago and it stuck with me. I don't do any dumpster diving myself, but had a friend who had what I called an eye for garbage. We could be driving by a pile of crap someone threw out and he had an incredible knack for finding treasure in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 04:39 PM

5,500 posts, read 19,506,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Here's a great essay on dumpster diving: Dumpster Diving by Lars Eighner (http://www1.broward.edu/%7Enplakcy/docs/dumpster_diving.htm - broken link)

I read it years ago and it stuck with me. I don't do any dumpster diving myself, but had a friend who had what I called an eye for garbage. We could be driving by a pile of crap someone threw out and he had an incredible knack for finding treasure in it.
Marlow,

Great article! Thanks for sharing! I'm going to pass it on to a few others.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 AM

15,187 posts, read 16,039,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Marlow,

Great article! Thanks for sharing! I'm going to pass it on to a few others.
Not to get off topic, but the same guy wrote a book called Travels with Lisbeth about being homeless with his dog, Lisbeth, and traveling around the country. It's fascinating and also unsettling in many ways.

OK, back to dumpster diving.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:45 AM

540 posts, read 1,174,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Yeah, it's also a way to get diseases and be wallowing around in the filth from the truck that runs from the dump.
Please cite a legitimate study as to what "diseases" one will catch and spread and stop talking out of your......hat. Ya that's it......hat.

Quote:
Trash divers should be shot.
You have serious issues.

I admire people who recycle "trash". Anything that will cut down on the world's carbon footprint is a great thing.

People need to think of conservation and recycling as a priority

Old 04-23-2009, 06:31 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,116,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballgal View Post
Please cite a legitimate study as to what "diseases" one will catch and spread and stop talking out of your......hat. Ya that's it......hat.

You have serious issues.

I admire people who recycle "trash". Anything that will cut down on the world's carbon footprint is a great thing.

People need to think of conservation and recycling as a priority
Absolutely. I have a friend who, years ago, moved into an unfurnished apartment with her kids. All they had was some of their clothing and a sleeping bag each [very nasty split with the SO]. Within a week she'd furnished it completely just by keeping a close eye on what was being left by the building's dumpsters, right down to and including a functioning TV.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:42 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,468,097 times
Quote:
Trash divers should be shot.

Personally, I feel we could do with fewer landfill-abusing, over-consuming/under-thinking, wasteful people....

If dumpster diving isn't your thing join Freecycle.

I run and cycle and see all kinds of goodies out by the curbs in the morning. I stick to wood/metal furniture. Stripping, painting and repurposing castoffs is not just frugal, but also a hobby of mine.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:07 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,946,933 times
True, found things, dumpster diving things and garage sale things are great for projects. There are loads of things we buy at a garage sale or find at the dump which we use for something other than it's original use. One of my favorite garden tools is a climber's titanium pick ax thing (I'm sure they have a specific name) with a short broken off handle. It is perfect for gardening but would be ungawdly expensive if it were bought new. We get wheels and parts off of old bicycles to use for various projects, etc.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:07 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,465,227 times
When I lived at my old apt, I would always check the dumpster for items. People, esp when moving, would throw away all kinds of good items. I had to act fast, as the maintainence men had a pickup they would fill with the castoff items, to sell I assume.

One thing to mention, tvs and electronics are not always broken, often they work fine or can be easily fixed. Sometimes they just need to be blown out with high pressure air to remove dust inside.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:22 AM

410 posts, read 934,468 times
I once lived in a college town and the students were of course notorious for throwing things out at the end of the semester or sometimes the end of the month if they had to move. I lived in an area populated by many students and when I would take my walks in the evening, I would note what was thrown out and come back and get if if I wanted it. I found enough furniture over the years to start a furniture store, and just about anything else you can think of. Once I remember finding what looked like everything in the kitchen sitting out on the curb--dishes, small appliances, silverware, big boxes of unopened food, cleaning products, you name it. I once found a vacuum cleaner I used for over a year, lots of cd's and books (some which were current textbooks and could be sold back to the bookstores), the list goes on. I never actually "dive" into the dumpsters, mostly just pick off from the top or what ever is laying on the ground. A lot of this stuff, if I didn't need it, I would store in my garage and have a garage sale two or three times a year and make three or four hundred dollars. Some of it I sold on ebay or donated. I don't have a garage now or else I'd still be doing it.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:42 AM

3,191 posts, read 8,034,551 times
IMHO- Call it what you what, dumpster diving, trash picking, etc., not only does it equal frugal, it also equals smart!! I am proud I SQUEAK when I walk lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living