U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 06:08 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,136,656 times

Advertisements

I actually need to renew my Sams membership. I'm waiting for a deal to pop up for renewals. I can get my Muscle Milk there for $20 instead of $40 on Amazon. Plus whatever else I need to stock up on. It's worth the $40 for me because the MM is only 12 servings..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 10:14 AM

1,007 posts, read 811,800 times
I don't have a Sam's or Costco membership, but I have a membership at BJ's Warehouse. It is $35 a year through a club I belong to. The BJ's is right down the street from my house and they have a gas station. I save more than the cost of the membership just by buying gas there so it is totally worth it. Last year I also saved a couple hundred dollars on tires there.

I don't have a large family or do lot of bulk shopping, so it's mostly the gas and auto service that saves me money. The close proximity to my house is a big factor.

Last edited by Fiona13; 03-27-2015 at 10:24 AM..

Old 03-27-2015, 01:59 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,136,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
I don't have a Sam's or Costco membership, but I have a membership at BJ's Warehouse. It is $35 a year through a club I belong to. The BJ's is right down the street from my house and they have a gas station. I save more than the cost of the membership just by buying gas there so it is totally worth it. Last year I also saved a couple hundred dollars on tires there.

I don't have a large family or do lot of bulk shopping, so it's mostly the gas and auto service that saves me money. The close proximity to my house is a big factor.

I miss BJ's. They aren't out west here

Old 04-13-2015, 03:32 PM

367 posts, read 333,304 times
Personally, I don't think so, unless you have a huge family. We are 4, and I'd rather pay a tiny bit more and avoid Sam's Costco. I was a longtime member and found that I could easily spend $300 and still have to go grocery shopping after that!

Old 04-13-2015, 03:43 PM

5,808 posts, read 3,295,904 times
We have one membership and we shop for ourselves and adult kids and grandkids. We get TP. paper towels, almonds and walnuts in huge bags, clothing, diapers, wipes, coffee and organic meats. We divide it up between us as needed and share the cost. If it were just the two of us it wouldn't be worth it now that we're retired and use less. We use it for electronics too.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:07 PM

64,510 posts, read 66,075,955 times
living social is offering a bj's membership with a 25.00 gift card for 35 bucks . for 10 bucks we took advantage of the deal.

BJ's Deal - $30 Membership + $25 Gift Card -Living Rich With Coupons®

Old 04-14-2015, 05:36 PM

259 posts, read 246,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
Eggs are crazy cheap, 3 dollars and something for two 18 packs.
Our Costco just stopped selling regular eggs! The only choice now is the cage-free for $6-something for 2 dozen. Now, granted that's a decent price for what it is, and I bought them, but if this wacky experiment of theirs sticks, then I'll go back to eggs at the grocery store. Complained, and said I appreciate Costco's effort to force health onto me, but go back to giving us a choice, please!

I've been a member since the 80's when it was Price Club - before Costco existed. They merged in the early 90's, then went back to the Costco name later.

I get tremendous savings in cheese, dairy in general, fresh produce, nuts, meats, fish, plants, and other things. I have an executive membership w/ cash back, and end up not paying a membership fee.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:13 PM

18,972 posts, read 10,032,914 times
We go through a LOT of eggs, I will be super annoyed if my Costco stops stocking the normal ones!

Old 04-14-2015, 08:44 PM

321 posts, read 329,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon2 View Post
Our Costco just stopped selling regular eggs! The only choice now is the cage-free for $6-something for 2 dozen. Now, granted that's a decent price for what it is, and I bought them, but if this wacky experiment of theirs sticks, then I'll go back to eggs at the grocery store. Complained, and said I appreciate Costco's effort to force health onto me, but go back to giving us a choice, please!

I've been a member since the 80's when it was Price Club - before Costco existed. They merged in the early 90's, then went back to the Costco name later.

I get tremendous savings in cheese, dairy in general, fresh produce, nuts, meats, fish, plants, and other things. I have an executive membership w/ cash back, and end up not paying a membership fee.
I've noticed Costco going in this direction for a while now. More and more of their stuff is organic, even their generic products. That's nice if that's what you want and if you're willing to pay more for it, but it gets annoying (and expensive) if you'd rather have the more common, cheaper versions that they used to sell.

That's the reason I recently switched from Costco to Sam's club. I like how Costco is a little nicer and how it isn't run by Walmart, but Sam's just has more of the stuff that I want to buy.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:10 AM

159 posts, read 136,129 times
Costco membership is worth it just for the return policy on everything besides some electronics ( which are 90 day return period).

If you ever need money back, just return some things you bought. It's like a bank and the item never loses it's value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living