U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 11:57 AM

8,095 posts, read 12,738,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon2 View Post
Our Costco just stopped selling regular eggs! The only choice now is the cage-free for $6-something for 2 dozen.
They're pacifying the animal fanatics, so they don't get picketed.
Idiotic wave of the future.
Nutritionally, eggs are all the same.

Quote:
I've been a member since the 80's when it was Price Club - before Costco existed. They merged in the early 90's, then went back to the Costco name later.
I remember driving down to San Diego to shop at the original. Open to businesses only, $25 a year membership
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 01:28 PM

13,483 posts, read 29,425,055 times
Sometimes the savings from one item can be enough to cover your membership for a year. For example, I just bought a 55" TV at Sam's Club and the price was $50 lower than Walmart, so that paid for my membership for the year.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:40 PM

8,880 posts, read 15,624,346 times
Quote:
Our Costco just stopped selling regular eggs! The only choice now is the cage-free for $6-something for 2 dozen. Now, granted that's a decent price for what it is, and I bought them, but if this wacky experiment of theirs sticks, then I'll go back to eggs at the grocery store. Complained, and said I appreciate Costco's effort to force health onto me, but go back to giving us a choice, please!
I buy cage-free eggs from a co-worker for $2/dozen. That will change next month when the farmer's market starts, there's someone there who sells them for $1/dozen. I find the flavor much better than those of battery-cage eggs, it's probably the extra bugs in the diet.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:34 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
For DW and I, it's not worth it. We can't use the huge sizes they specialize in, and the nearest Costco is not conveniently located for us.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:40 AM

11,024 posts, read 6,208,809 times
The mozzarella cheese we buy alone offsets the annual membership cost. It is $10 less each time we purchase it and we buy it a dozen times a year.

We purchase a better quality of wine for about the same price as the local grocery and liquor stores.

There are numerous other staples we consistently purchase that are priced well below other local stores.

For us, Costco is a cost effective membership.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:09 PM

22 posts, read 16,562 times
I have Costco executive membership. The annual rebate that I receive more than covers my annual membership fee. I buy organic chicken, fish, milk, fruits, eggs, shampoo, rice, coffee, honey, laundry detergent, napkins there. I take advantage of its monthly sales promotions. I also pump gas at its gas station. We are a household of 2.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:47 AM

2,572 posts, read 1,042,014 times
I find that if you watch for sales you can almost always find better prices elsewhere.
For some reason milk seems to be the exception where I live plus since it is perishable you can't buy 10 gallons of it when somewhere else has a good price.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 AM

5,861 posts, read 7,082,141 times
We have a Sam's Plus membership ($100/year). We upgraded when we discovered that the additional cost, $55, compared to the regular membership cost of $45 was offset by savings on a single prescription for my spouse. Since he refills it 4-5 times a year, that savings alone pays for the membership.

Even though it's just DH and me now, we do save at Sam's beyond the one prescription. We save significantly on cereal, spices, cleaning products of all types, coffee and tea, frozen fruit and veggies, personal care products, over the counter drugs, yogurt and cheeses.

I've never added up my yearly savings. I know that at times I can get a similar price during a sale at Kroger, but the convenience of something always being at the sales price is valuable to me. I go about once or twice a month. Costco is not an option in my area.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:08 AM

537 posts, read 452,696 times
To each their own situation I guess. Costco has some fresh food items like beef, bakery items, and price is right. Granted they sell in bulk items but they are of quality product. Some items are much cheaper than outside, for example, a case of deer park water (32 bottles) for $3.29 to $4.50 is a lot cheaper than outside for a 24 bottles case. I did my calculations base on $ spent at Costco vs buying outside and the savings are huge. In addition to that, by year end, Costco does a calculation on my membership history and if my savings weren't enough, they will cut me a check for close to the membership amount (executive membership here) which I could use towards my next purchase as CASH.

I have no regret paying Costco memberships annually. Been with them since 2001.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:12 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,136,656 times
FYI Groupon is now having the Sams club membership on special
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living