Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 10:21 PM

16,373 posts, read 30,153,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
We have a Sam's Plus membership ($100/year). We upgraded when we discovered that the additional cost, $55, compared to the regular membership cost of $45 was offset by savings on a single prescription for my spouse. Since he refills it 4-5 times a year, that savings alone pays for the membership.

Most states require both Sam's Club and Costco to fill prescriptions for non-members. You need to tell the greeters that you are filling a prescription and they will let you past WITHOUT a membership card.

Honestly, when I was spending $500+ a month on prescription drugs about five years ago, the difference between Walmart and Sam's Club was that Sam's was $3 cheaper. However, as Sam's had one pharmacist as opposed to four at Walmart and the lower sales volume at the pharmacy, I was finding myself having to wait longer for my prescriptions or coming back for items they did not have. That offset any savings.

As for Costco, my friends would swear that their prices were the lowest, but I found them to be 10-15% HIGHER than either Walmart or Sam's Club.

Thank heavens that I changed insurance coverage and have my medications filled through mail order. It is so much more convenient and a bit cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 11:38 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,415,341 times
I didn't read all the posts on this thread. So please forgive me if this was answered already.

Can a non-member get a 1 day pass at Costco, to check out the store and shop there 1 day? If yes, do you need a coupon or 'special' to do this, or can you go any time? I assume you pay a higher price when checking out because of being a non-member when using a 1 day pass.

I never stepped foot in a Costco. I want to go there one time and shop and check out the store.

For Sam's club I go once every 2 or 3 years and use a 1-day pass that I either find online (and print) or it might be in a local newspaper.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:08 PM

No. You must be a member.

They will allow you to buy a membership and then cancel ... But what a hassle.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:08 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,842,604 times
I do remember years ago a work supervisor had a Metro (warehouse club) card and used it often. But he was a Boy Scout leader and often needed to buy in bulk for camp outs.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:46 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,103,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Most states require both Sam's Club and Costco to fill prescriptions for non-members. You need to tell the greeters that you are filling a prescription and they will let you past WITHOUT a membership card.

Honestly, when I was spending $500+ a month on prescription drugs about five years ago, the difference between Walmart and Sam's Club was that Sam's was $3 cheaper. However, as Sam's had one pharmacist as opposed to four at Walmart and the lower sales volume at the pharmacy, I was finding myself having to wait longer for my prescriptions or coming back for items they did not have. That offset any savings.

As for Costco, my friends would swear that their prices were the lowest, but I found them to be 10-15% HIGHER than either Walmart or Sam's Club.

Thank heavens that I changed insurance coverage and have my medications filled through mail order. It is so much more convenient and a bit cheaper.
I'm surprised someone would say Costco was the cheapest - that is not what they aim for. What they offer is high quality merchandise at consistently good prices. Not necessarily the cheapest and for many items, you can find things for less if you work hard at comparison shopping plus use a coupon (which Costco does not accept, except for their own). For many people, time has value as well and they find a benefit in knowing they can purchase an items when they want it for a good price rather than having to wait until they can find it on sale somewhere.

Walmart is often cheaper, because their quality is lower. They don't stock all the same brands, and even for the name brands they sell, they are often lower quality with fewer features or smaller sizes, manufacturered or packaged specifically for Walmart. Not for everything of course, some items are the same everywhere, and Walmart either gets better pricing based on volume or they are willing to sell as a loss leader because it gets you into the store and they make their profit on the other items you buy once you are there.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm surprised someone would say Costco was the cheapest - that is not what they aim for. What they offer is high quality merchandise at consistently good prices. Not necessarily the cheapest and for many items, you can find things for less if you work hard at comparison shopping plus use a coupon (which Costco does not accept, except for their own). For many people, time has value as well and they find a benefit in knowing they can purchase an items when they want it for a good price rather than having to wait until they can find it on sale somewhere.

Walmart is often cheaper, because their quality is lower. They don't stock all the same brands, and even for the name brands they sell, they are often lower quality with fewer features or smaller sizes, manufacturered or packaged specifically for Walmart. Not for everything of course, some items are the same everywhere, and Walmart either gets better pricing based on volume or they are willing to sell as a loss leader because it gets you into the store and they make their profit on the other items you buy once you are there.

I am talking about pharmaceuticals, not general merchandise. The person who claimed that Costco's pharmacy prices were lower was an employee.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:44 AM

22,201 posts, read 29,249,685 times
Ok seriously someone please explain this to me. My bf and I went to Costco yesterday to check it out. We've never been and it was beyond A ZOO. I couldn't figure out why there was sooooo many people there. It was crazy. We then went to Sam's (which I have a membership at) and there was like 50 people in there. They are across the street from each other. Why such a difference? We checked pricing and they were basically on point with each other if off by very little....

Old 04-27-2015, 11:19 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,447,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Ok seriously someone please explain this to me. My bf and I went to Costco yesterday to check it out. We've never been and it was beyond A ZOO. I couldn't figure out why there was sooooo many people there. It was crazy. We then went to Sam's (which I have a membership at) and there was like 50 people in there. They are across the street from each other. Why such a difference? We checked pricing and they were basically on point with each other if off by very little....
Costco quality is usually better- esp food.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:24 PM

605 posts, read 702,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Costco quality is usually better- esp food.
I agree, though you will find dissenters. I prefer the selections that Costco offers as well, and I even like Costco's Kirkland brand for many products.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:01 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,342,092 times
It depends. We probably will not renew our Sam's Club this year. We are downsizing, just dh and I, kids have moved out. We recently moved, and all the cleaning products, household items, toiletries, etc I had bought in bulk I ended up tossing. We are now in a 900 sq ft apt, and space is at a premium compared to our 2200 sq ft house we just left. It just all depends on how fast you would go through things, and how much storage room you have.

For RX drugs, well, we have ExpressScripts insurance which is the same copay at any pharmacy. Eyeglasses can be a bargain at Sam's, I don't know if you can purchase eyewear without a membership? Also, their gas is usually the cheapest in town, but you need a membership, so, you need to do the math on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living