U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2016, 11:54 PM

27,179 posts, read 11,349,748 times

Advertisements

We have a membership in both, we got a Sams Club membership for $10 last year and I'm not sure I will renew it, most of what we buy seems to be a tiny bit cheaper at Costco. I don't find meat particularly cheap at either one, I usually buy meat at Winco. We buy dog food and chicken feed at Costco as well as paper products, detergent, butter, OTC drugs and eyeglasses. The savings on those items pays for the membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 10:02 AM

2,461 posts, read 1,201,958 times
I had Sam's club for about 3 years, and I found out that the items I usually went for, did not pay for my membership. The only reason why I went to Sam's is because of two things: their brand of mesquite chicken breast and Tyson's honey BBQ wings. THAT'S IT. I don't like buying things in bulk. But what really irked me is the lines were too long, and since I was only buying one or two items, I found out that Sam's shopping wasn't meant for me. The final nail in the coffin was that the prices on the chicken breast and chicken wings went up 11 and 9 percent respectively.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:04 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,450,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Very odd they took back a year old piece of merchandise.

It may be but they do it. We bought several LED light fixtures 2 1/2 years ago. They had 5 year warranty. One of them stopped working. I went to costco and asked for manufactures info as I wanted to replace it with the same one. Obviously they don't make that particular one anymore and asked me to send it to them for a full refund. That means I needed to ship it to them. I went back to costco and told them everything - they said bring it back and get your refund here. So i returned it and got the money back so yes customer service is unbelievably good at costco.

We have membership of both - we buy mostly at costco but I realize there are many things at sams club that we like and using groupon coupon (meaning membership ended up as $20 or so) it is worth. They have a variety of apples that I can't find anywhere and we like them very much. Their oranges are also better. They also have lot of stuff that comes in smaller quantities and is better for us.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:45 PM

485 posts, read 234,776 times
I joined a few times but found it to be a waste of money on me.
Buy more in excess than we need.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:55 PM

2,756 posts, read 2,170,881 times
Sorry can't read through it all...
but has anyone said anything about Organic Food at Costco?

I heard they have it.
Although Costco is not close to us we do drive by once a month.

And finding Organic food is getting slimmer close to us.

Thanks

Old 11-06-2016, 09:40 PM

4,736 posts, read 5,938,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
Sorry can't read through it all...
but has anyone said anything about Organic Food at Costco?

I heard they have it.
Although Costco is not close to us we do drive by once a month.

And finding Organic food is getting slimmer close to us.

Thanks
I buy fresh and frozen organic fruits and veggies at Costco. I also occasionally purchase a large bag of organic brown rice. Other than that and paper products, there is little there that appeals to me.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:25 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,838,845 times
Joined one time with the 24 hour free membership and bought a vehicle battery for around $90 saving about $45. It has a warranty and is a brand name battery but Sam said if it goes bad you are given a replacement and if that one goes bad you are out of luck. So, if the 5 year battery dies at age 1.5 and they give a new one and it dies at age 1 then you can do the math.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:34 PM

34,542 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I do not know about Costco, but I've heard it's good, and I like World Market, which I hear is connected.
We keep our membership at Sams because we want the option of buying some things there. We do not buy in quantity, but we like certain things they have, like meat, coffee beans, OTC drugs, and just a few fresh options that are not available in our other stores. If we got a Costco or BJs, we would choose one.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:41 PM

24,717 posts, read 59,579,994 times
Costco yes if you have a large family or if you buy a lot of things at retail outlets (like computers, tools, tvs, computers, weightlifting set ups, etc - better deals online, but if you want to buy from a store, Costco is usually the best deal). Also for pharmaceuticals. The thing about costco for stuff is you never know what they will have. They may have fantastic deals on a certain tent for a month and then no tents again for two years. Or they might have barbeques at amazing prices for a short time. I bought a very nice free weight set for $200 there probably 15 - 20 years ago. A month later they did not have it and never had it again. I have never seen the same set anywhere for less than $800, and have seen it as high as $1600.

Sams no. It is just walmart. Most prices are roughly the same as walmart but in larger quantities. Some prices will be a bit lower, and some a bit higher. It nets out pretty average when you check ALL the prices.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:42 AM

3,003 posts, read 1,695,130 times
We've had a Costco membership for quite a while. We save more than enough just on coffee beans to cover the membership fee, for example. Not everything is a good price, but certain things are much better priced than at other places we regularly shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living