U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2016, 01:14 PM

378 posts, read 320,613 times

Advertisements

I buy a lot of coffee too. I really love the Kirkland skipjack tuna, olive oil and basalmic.

I tried out a executive membership and the extra coat wasn't worth it for me. Going back to basic $55 this month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 08:51 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,672,621 times
Never use to have either until a month ago. We lived far from both but after moving we were close to both. We didn't find Costco impressive really, and didn't see us buying much there. SAMs seems to have more but decided to put off membership. Then we seen a very good deal for their membership and wanted to give it a go - knew we would save at least the price we paid for it. So far, it's ok. Most likely we will not renew however. I think we save more at Aldis, save a lot and shopping weekly deals at other stores.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:29 AM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times
Aldi's? I'm also in SW Florida and never heard of Aldi's. I've been considering getting a Costco membership if nothing else but to save money on prescription glasses & contacts, but I live in a condo and just don't have room for the bulk items of paper towels, detergent, etc. Ditto for my freezer space which is limited. Now if I can find someone to go halves with me it might be worth it for me to join and buy meats and stuff there.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 11-11-2016 at 08:13 AM..

Old 11-11-2016, 08:17 AM

2,321 posts, read 1,058,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
Sorry can't read through it all...
but has anyone said anything about Organic Food at Costco?

I heard they have it.
Although Costco is not close to us we do drive by once a month.

And finding Organic food is getting slimmer close to us.

Thanks
yes Costco has a large selection of Organics- be aware though that their products tend to change constantly over time- often the food producers seem to be testing out the markets ( a business man at the airport mentioned to me one trip that manufacturors will often sell at cost for costco in order to get the product out there to consumers)-
and you can def get organics- produce and eggs and milk for cheaper, especially if you need larger quantities.
I love their Rainforest blend Organic coffee (I think its San Francisco Bay brand)- really well priced, and tasty...

Products do vary by location though

(one poster talked about chicken feed at costco, and I think i did see that, like once, at the Sacramento costco, but never in Orlando, or SF, or Portland)-- oh and its nice to be able to use your card all over the country...

Old 11-11-2016, 08:25 AM

2,321 posts, read 1,058,743 times
Ok so I haven't looked at all 21 pages of this thread-
but did anyone mention that the executive membership (the black membership card) gives you (I think, its been awhile) 2percent back on all your purchases- and if you buy your booze (liquor is MUCH cheaper, and if you want quality - they have the pricey stuff too) or have a new baby- (diapers, baby wipes), you will def make your money back-- your membership is paid for and then some...

even now in Oregon, which doesn't allow our local costco to sell booze (well no hard liquor just beer and wine), we make our member ship money back- they send you a rebate yearly - I usually use it for my membership and a shop...

Old 11-11-2016, 06:37 PM

11,434 posts, read 19,459,889 times
At this point Costco gas is 40 cents cheaper a gallon than every one else. Milk is 1/2 the price of grocery stores. Ground beef is 1/2 the cost, but you have to buy in bulk.

I could go on, but yes, it's becoming more and more worth it.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:56 PM

13,714 posts, read 22,852,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
At this point Costco gas is 40 cents cheaper a gallon than every one else. Milk is 1/2 the price of grocery stores. Ground beef is 1/2 the cost, but you have to buy in bulk.

I could go on, but yes, it's becoming more and more worth it.

What city is this happening?

I have been in 15 states this year and I have not seen Costco gas more than 2-3 cents cheaper and it is often 10 cents HIGHER than ARCO and Quiktrip.

In Chicago, Aldi had Costco and Walmart beat on milk both times that I have been there.

In Tucson, i walked through Costco last week and I could do better at Fry's (Kroger's) buying smaller quantities.

If it is cheaper, I don't see it.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:29 PM

1,359 posts, read 962,573 times
We have a Costco membership because they have great prices on milk (I haven't seen it for more than $2.05 a gallon, which is much cheaper than any other store except Aldi when I can catch it on sale). They also have great prices on romaine lettuce. We have guinea pigs so we go through a lot of lettuce and it is NOT cheap, especially when you go through a romaine heart a day. We've already saved the $55 just on those two items.

While not cheap, their bakery chocolate chip cookies are very tasty as well.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:01 PM

11,434 posts, read 19,459,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
What city is this happening?

I have been in 15 states this year and I have not seen Costco gas more than 2-3 cents cheaper and it is often 10 cents HIGHER than ARCO and Quiktrip.

In Chicago, Aldi had Costco and Walmart beat on milk both times that I have been there.

In Tucson, i walked through Costco last week and I could do better at Fry's (Kroger's) buying smaller quantities.

If it is cheaper, I don't see it.
Bay Area, California. Our locals are in the 2.75 range, and Costco is 2.35.

We don't have Aldis

Old 11-11-2016, 11:06 PM

24 posts, read 9,989 times
Costco's has better quality products and better meat market. I love Costco's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living