U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-25-2017, 07:30 AM
 
3,209 posts, read 2,817,409 times
Reputation: 9280

Advertisements

I prefer Costco over Sam's.

$10 pizza cooked fresh up front in the concession area and they are big. The supreme is the same price as the cheese so might as well get it loaded. Two pizzas comes out less expensive for us compared to three medium Domino's pizzas since I otherwise order delivery and tip.

Even if you didn't buy anything, you could probably come in and get $40 worth of free samples throughout the year. Seriously, they load you up on the weekends. Sometimes I have to say 'no' simply because I can't eat anymore. They do make their money back from me because I will try something, like it and make a purchase that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2017, 02:17 AM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
15,832 posts, read 5,407,786 times
Reputation: 4643
Just the savings on gas prices pays for the membership alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2017, 05:19 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,335 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Reputation: 38683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I prefer Costco over Sam's.

$10 pizza cooked fresh up front in the concession area and they are big. The supreme is the same price as the cheese so might as well get it loaded. Two pizzas comes out less expensive for us compared to three medium Domino's pizzas since I otherwise order delivery and tip.

Even if you didn't buy anything, you could probably come in and get $40 worth of free samples throughout the year. Seriously, they load you up on the weekends. Sometimes I have to say 'no' simply because I can't eat anymore. They do make their money back from me because I will try something, like it and make a purchase that day.
We often purchase the samples as well, but from Sam's. As for which one is better, well we used to belong to both when we lived in Texas. Moved to NM and decided we didn't need two. The reason we stuck with Sam's simply had to do with loyalty. We had been a member longer. Now,living where we do, we have no choice. I doubt we will ever get Costco and of course our Sam's are spotless and very pleasant I do thing, overall Costco stores are a little nicer with slightly better choices, but this changes from time to time. The two are so similar it would be hard to separate them if you did a blind trial test. You mention the pizza, Sam's has great ones as well. People often compare Sam's with WalMart cause they are both owned by the Waltons. That is where the similarities should end. Sam's has superior meats produce and most everything else, especially the meats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2017, 05:39 AM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
34,594 posts, read 42,768,368 times
Reputation: 57286
We are not big volume shoppers, since there are only two of us, but we still think our $45 membership to Sams is worth it. We don't have a Costco. We only go for certain things about once a month. We go mainly for the variety of items that they have and the meat. I doubt if we save anything, because we buy things we wouldn't normally buy. We have used their Vision Center and we bought our TV there.
If we ever get a Costco, I will check it out to see which one I like better, but I won't belong to both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2017, 06:04 AM
 
Location: Western North Carolina
4,749 posts, read 7,542,958 times
Reputation: 9696
I got a membership just to purchase some items for my daughter's wedding last year, mostly buffet pans and sternos.

I've been back once, just because I have the membership - I won't be back.

I can do MUCH better economically by purchasing specials at other stores. It I want a large quantity of something, I can purchase multiples, in separate containers that won't go bad. If you have a large family I can see it, but I have no use for a gallon can of baked beans, etc. Plus, we like to cook and try a variety of foods, and they don't have a very good variety of things like marinades, seasonings, etc.. Unless you really like frozen foods, which we don't purchase often because they are highly processed and filled with additives. I see a lot of heavy people purchasing their snack foods and soda pop in bulk there though.

To each his own, but I consider myself an informed consumer, and I have to live on a tight grocery budget, but I think the "savings" is questionable, the same way I question the so called bargains at "Outlet" malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2017, 06:58 AM
 
3,209 posts, read 2,817,409 times
Reputation: 9280
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We often purchase the samples as well, but from Sam's. As for which one is better, well we used to belong to both when we lived in Texas. Moved to NM and decided we didn't need two. The reason we stuck with Sam's simply had to do with loyalty. We had been a member longer. Now,living where we do, we have no choice. I doubt we will ever get Costco and of course our Sam's are spotless and very pleasant I do thing, overall Costco stores are a little nicer with slightly better choices, but this changes from time to time. The two are so similar it would be hard to separate them if you did a blind trial test. You mention the pizza, Sam's has great ones as well. People often compare Sam's with WalMart cause they are both owned by the Waltons. That is where the similarities should end. Sam's has superior meats produce and most everything else, especially the meats.
I have close access to both. Sam's is better on individual cooking ingredients. Costco here caters more to busy families who want more wholesome food, but less cooking. The store cooked pizza is a taste preference. I've prefer Costco's. You're in the Sam's and Walmart mecca. The stores there are more fully stocked and carry more variety in products. We've found it depends on where you live as to what you get in the stores. The Sam's and Walmart stores here don't appear to carry as much. I have lived where they cater more to the local needs. I guess we have so many options here that they don't try to compete as much in certain things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2017, 07:21 AM
 
Location: On a Farm & by the sea
1,081 posts, read 2,434,351 times
Reputation: 920
We have to drive an hour to get to the closest Costco or Sams. We have held membership to both and prefer Costco. In the past, it seemed that Costco had more options for organic produce and better quality fish/shellfish, very nice quality wines and earth friendly cleaning products. I'm not sure if Sams has "caught up" to Costco in those regards but we are happy with our membership. We probably go maybe 8 or 10 times per year. The quality is the difference for us.

I like to peruse the seasonal merchandise as well. I've found some really neat things for our home there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2017, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Phoenix-Valley of the Sun
2,462 posts, read 1,205,788 times
Reputation: 3047
I hate traffic and crowds so I rather not shop at either cosco or sams. BUT when I did have a membership to Sams, I only purchased two items and that was it. I was standing in line for about 10+ minutes for two things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2017, 03:24 PM
 
3,209 posts, read 2,817,409 times
Reputation: 9280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I hate traffic and crowds so I rather not shop at either cosco or sams. BUT when I did have a membership to Sams, I only purchased two items and that was it. I was standing in line for about 10+ minutes for two things.
I try not to shop on weekends. Too many people shop then. I have the ability to shop during the day during the week. That works for me. I also find shopping in the evening after the rush hour crowd if finished isn't too bad either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2017, 03:27 PM
 
Location: I am right here.
4,860 posts, read 3,718,737 times
Reputation: 15267
I shop at Sam's a few times a month and use their app to check out. I no longer wait in any checkout line there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top