U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 12:56 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,272,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I live in a household of 7 (although, I'm moving out to start full time position soon), we spend on average $80-$90 per week, total, shopping at the city Asian and African food supermarkets. For us, Costco or Sams Club would likely be more expensive. Having written that, I can't understand (for the life of me) why people with car access are wasting money shopping at Pathmark, etc., spending more money than they have on overpriced products.
Update: Costco isn't worth it for me now that I have commissary access. With a very few exceptions, I've found that the commissary is significantly cheaper than Costco. Note, while I got my Costco membership primary for the gas benefits, I'm finding that recently gas on base has been cheaper than Costco (when I first got the membership, gas at Costco was about $.10 less per gallon than gas on base . . . I guess it was a promotional period).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 02:07 PM

641 posts, read 572,213 times
Costco gas and most food items in general are a better deal than Safeway or the small local grocers. Wal-Mart and Target are still good for the smaller things like 10 pounds of flour, a cake mix, etc.

Prices in Hawaii are quite a bit higher than most mainland areas so yes, we've found it's worth the yearly fee and buying some things in bulk sizes, overall we save, esp on the gasoline.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 1,276 times
In my situation the cheaper gas makes it worth it. I work in a different state, and my state has higher prices to begin with. Plus the club is cheaper than the Sheetz across the street and it's right down the road from my office so I don't make a special trip to get it. The club also has some great meat prices and I can fill up my chest freezer and not buy meat for weeks at a time. We also have the business memebership so we can shop the extended hours. It's not going to be worth it for everyone, and some people are sure to buy things they don't need or will waste, but if you have some self-control and it's not a long trip it's probably worth the investment. But everyone would have to figure it out individually.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:47 AM

1,814 posts, read 977,668 times
I mainly use my Sam's membership for Loratadine (generic version of Claritin), better quality of ground beef than I can find at Kroger and especially Meijers (yuck), and I buy Member's Mark toilet paper for my elderly mother. Its cheaper to buy it at Sam's in bulk than where she normally goes to buy it. And of course there are other products to take a gander at and normally buy a thing or two or three.

Only problem is prices on too many things is high in my opinion for a store that's supposed to be cheap because they sell in bulk and require a paid membership. My Loratadine is only about $13 for 400 pills, however many things are overpriced. They've really overpriced one of my favorite items there - blackened salmon in the frozen seafood section. Five small cut down to size pieces wrapped individually for around $18 last time I was there. When they first started selling it it cost $9.99. My local Sam's is more expensive than the one in Omaha where I lived just prior to moving back to my hometown, Toledo.

I used Sam's optical department but think I'll go to a different optometrist next time. At Sam's its $70 or so for the eye exam, no special deal. Might even be higher these days, haven't gone for a couple of years.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:24 PM

483 posts, read 353,010 times
costco going to deliver right to your house, that's pretty good news, wonder if it includes meat, fruit and perishables. Costco Wholesale expands test of home grocery delivery

Old 03-21-2017, 10:57 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,347,495 times
I don't like the idea of paying for the privilege to shop somewhere... but there are practical reasons for it. A few items that my wife *requires* are cheaper at Sams than anywhere else. Those few items alone more than pay for the membership.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:28 AM

2,461 posts, read 1,200,617 times
they're running a good promotion for sams club for 20 dollar membership. I wonder if they have good meat? I never had the meat there.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:54 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,136,656 times
We have both sams and costcos. The sams is actually going to save me some money on a grill I want. It's $50 cheaper than Amazon (different brand name but same grill) and with Discover having their 5% bonus in April on Warehouse clubs I'll get some money back too!

Old 03-27-2017, 07:12 AM

34,530 posts, read 42,694,765 times
So, like I tried to say, but didn't exactly, I pay the $45. as an entry fee, because I want the option of buying things there that I can't buy at my other 3 grocery stores.
I buy the same things there every month. Sometimes I'm saving a little, but not always.
I buy...
Coffee beans 40 oz. $15.
Nexium $21 ish
2# bags of sea scallops $30.
Tubs of mixed, heirloom cherry tomatoes $5.
Granola
Olive oil
Meat (esp. lamb and ground beef)
This week I impulsively bought a pasta bowl set. $25.
They also have a brand of Orange Chicken with fried rice that we like.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:02 PM

433 posts, read 529,673 times
Costco membership is worth it.. why?

1. discount on gas
2. sometimes good deals on products in bulk or individual items, even some clearance stuff if you're lucky and if it's clothes if you find your size. not always the case that Costco is cheapest though.
3. $4.99 world class roast chicken can't be beat.
4. $9.99 pizza can't be beat.
5. $1.50 100% beef hot dog + drink can't be beat.
6. save lunch money, stop by Costco food sample/demo displays for free hot foods, cold foods, snacks, energy drinks, smoothies, sometimes desserts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living