U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 03:32 PM

2,462 posts, read 1,205,788 times

Advertisements

You guys! I am THIS close to getting a membership. Don't tempt me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 12:01 PM

7,589 posts, read 10,399,604 times
I love COSTCO. If I don't get over there at least once a month I start feeling weak. It's like my religion And such a pleasure to know I'm not getting ripped off. Try it for a year. You won't regret it.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:16 PM

28,328 posts, read 2,204,593 times
I have yet to see any deals I can't get, at Grocery Outlet or Win Co, without paying the membership fee. Gas, in my town is cheaper at a local gas station than Costco. I use gas buddy to check it out. The membership fee is a deal breaker for me. And I don't spend enough to get the cash back thing.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:17 PM

711 posts, read 388,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I love COSTCO. If I don't get over there at least once a month I start feeling weak. It's like my religion And such a pleasure to know I'm not getting ripped off. Try it for a year. You won't regret it.
I don't know if I love Costco or hate shopping. Regardless, we've had a Costco membership forever for just the two of us.

We're lucky in that we have good storage and a separate freezer. Once a month or so I stock up on various staples and don't have to worry about it for a while. A few things like Greek Yogurt are perishable and not freezable so I have to restock at the regular grocers a bit more often. I always pick up a Rotisserie Chicken and that's dinner for a couple nites and a big package of soup stock to be frozen.

Costco also has good prices on a lot of OTC meds and their house brand vitamins. OTOH the fresh produce is overpriced to me and often on the verge of going bad.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:42 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,452,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post

I have the same feelings if I don't go there once in a week

Old 04-03-2017, 03:54 PM

13,122 posts, read 9,210,319 times
Sam's Club - better quality than Wal-Mart, similar prices.
If you shop for food, in bulk, every month, it will pay for the membership.
Otherwise, save your money.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:57 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,480,084 times
I prefer to buy meat from small local places. I prefer Costco over Sams club but for me time is a critical factor. Sams club has been a money loosing venture for Walmart for a long time. This works best for us because it is never crowded. One wouldn't even need morning hours membership. The ones close to me are always empty. Their options and products are lower than Costco which doesn't make it pleasant shopping experience. Costco has everything but the lines on weekends are a nightmare even for gas.

I hate spending my weekends in line to save few $ so thats why I don't go to Costco. I use Sams club for gas most of the times. Whenever I need something its never there in Sams club so local grocery store serves the purpose. I did save some $$ on the tires I got from Sams club. A buddy of mine has insurance from Costco and he likes the premium. I am going to start using BOXED if it is going to save me some time. I think Sams club and Costco are going to be thing of past once Amazon or online retailers come in that market.

I split membership between Costco and Sams Club with my coworker. He has my Sams club card and I have his Costco. Both set on auto renew.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:03 PM

2,462 posts, read 1,205,788 times
i think i may have asked this but how is the gas quality between sams and costco?

Old 04-06-2017, 07:48 AM

3,154 posts, read 3,822,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
i think i may have asked this but how is the gas quality between sams and costco?
Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas
Costco is on the list, but Sams Club is not.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:20 AM

1,066 posts, read 708,272 times
If you are good with your finances their credit cards are THE BEST! You get 4% back on gas and 3% back on travel expenses. So for me I use it as a work card, then I get those Costco bucks (gift card) the best part is I can take a $500 gift card I get from the credit card points, spend $3 at Costco and they will give me $497 back in CASH! I don't think you'll find a cash card that gives you 4%-3% cash back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living