U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 10:56 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,957,081 times

Advertisements

I refuse to shop at Sam's or Wal-mart because I think that they have single-handedly destroyed a good deal of the American economy by putting small businesses out of business and importing almost everything they sell from 3rd world countries. I don't like their business practices, I don't like the way they treat their employees, and I don't like that they hire illegals.

I have a membership to BJ's. I like that they carry some smaller sizes than Costco.

I buy pretty much brand names, and BJ's sells a lot of the brand's that I buy. They also sell a lot more American made and American farmed products than some of their competition.

Also BJ's takes manufacturers coupons--so you can get REALLY good deals there by using those.

I think that overall BJ's has higher quality meats and produce.

And now I'm off to clip my coupons and go shopping!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 11:05 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
We have both Costco and Sam's Club membership.

We buy our gas at both - and they tend to be 5 to 7 cents a gallon cheaper than the cheapest gas in town.

We have a number of vehicles - and prices on quality tires are FAR cheaper than stores like Discount and other outlets

Electronics are cheaper - certain household items are cheaper. Outdoor furniture for example.

Costco meats are excellent - and we will buy in quantity and then make up meal size portions and freeze them. Paper products such as paper towels, toilet tissue, Kleenex are cheaper than the grocery stores.

And so on.

We plan on keeping both memberships.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:17 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,744,509 times
I've had a Sams Club membership forever. I go about once a month. I have a family of seven, so we have no problem eating every single thing I buy!

I have certain things I buy there regularly. Juice boxes, lunch snacks, the frozen chicken breasts, chix nuggets, cheeses, waffles, cereal, eggs, milk, maple syrup. The Sams I go to is building a new building it's moving to that will have a gas station-I'll have to look at the prices.

The other weeks, I go to Aldis or Price-Rite. There are some things cheaper at those stores and some things in smaller quantities. I hit Stop-n-Shop for sales on meat, because with their loss leaders, they beat everyone, even Sams. I hit a local bread store for bread once a month.

So, Sams is very worth it for me, but again, with a large family we have no problem eating everything. If I was one or two persons, I might just do Aldis.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:57 PM

269 posts, read 1,115,679 times
I'm going to have to disagree with most of the posters here- I don't shop at Costco anymore. We shop at smaller marketplaces (sunflower/sprouts/vitamin cottage in CO) and our grocery bills are way lesser than what we would pay at Costco. I find that most people who shop almost exclusively at Costco don't have an idea about how much food costs at other stores (and I don't mean Walmart/Target). For household essentials, nothing beats Walgreens/CVS. Their deals for toilet paper, toothpaste, etc are excellent. For gas, Costco is cheaper than the average station, but if I use the gasprices feature on Mapquest I almost always find atleast one other station that has gas at the same price or lesser.

Finally, I'm not a big fan of the kirkland brand (Costco's house brand). Most of the time, I'm looking for a specific brand of an item and it is not available at Costco and kirkland is NOT comparable.

The only positive thing I have to say is that I love their in-store samples!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:03 PM

25,342 posts, read 37,480,980 times
I had a Sam's club card and let it expire after 3 years..To me it wasn't worth paying the $ 35.-, if I would get it for free I probable would still buy stuff there...

Old 05-05-2009, 03:56 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptos View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with most of the posters here- I don't shop at Costco anymore. We shop at smaller marketplaces (sunflower/sprouts/vitamin cottage in CO) and our grocery bills are way lesser than what we would pay at Costco. I
Agree with you completely. I keep a price book of the top items I purchase and I have yet to find an item that is cheaper at the warehouse clubs EXCEPT gasoline and marked down clothing. I keep the Sam's Club card solely as it is a free benefit of work.

Sam's pharmacy is substantially cheaper than most of the drugstore chains on both prescriptions and OTCs. In many states, including Illinois, you do NOT have to be a member to use their pharmacy under state statute.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:16 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,601,528 times
FYI: If you have a costco membership, you may end up being eligible for 1 - 3 free months of membership.

Costco settlement: Settlement announced in Costco class action suit over membership renewal -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 05-23-2009, 10:25 PM

7,091 posts, read 10,488,886 times
I don't know what it is about them, but I get some produce from Costco and it easily lasts 2x as long as what I get from pretty much anywhere else save Trader Joe's. I've gotten at least 4 weeks out of these peppers/celery/carrots we got in the last trip, not even a smudge.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:52 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,601,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I don't know what it is about them, but I get some produce from Costco and it easily lasts 2x as long as what I get from pretty much anywhere else save Trader Joe's. I've gotten at least 4 weeks out of these peppers/celery/carrots we got in the last trip, not even a smudge.
Mine too!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:51 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,122,987 times
My wife and I have a Costco membership and shop there often. Their prices present far more value than one would find at the local supermarket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living