Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:41 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,935,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Have not read all the replies, but I don't think a Costco member is worth it in most cases. Costco primarily sales brand names and is cheaper for those brands, but more often than not the grocery stores private labels are cheaper and you do not need to buy a trunk load either.

The prices on meat, cheese and other similar items that typical are not branded are a bit better at Costco. But you can usually find them cheaper on sale at the grocery store. I'm not going to renew my Costco membership.
Remember this, Costco is convenient. You might go to Costco once a month and be set. Going to the local supermarket every week, you will get more items you don't really need. So you are spending more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:57 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,750,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
Remember this, Costco is convenient. You might go to Costco once a month and be set. Going to the local supermarket every week, you will get more items you don't really need. So you are spending more.
I find that backward. I was far more likely to come out of Costco with something I hadn't planned on buying, and it wouldn't necessarily be an inexpensive item, either. Plus Costco doesn't carry anywhere near a wide enough selection of the foods I eat on a regular basis, so I'd need to go to the grocery store anyway.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,071,469 times
I go to Cash & Carry. They're a true restaurant supply store, one step from getting your stuff direct from suppliers, and the lines move fast because the people who shop there are business owners who don't want to spend a lot of time shopping. But there's no membership fee and they are open to the public, so if you don't mind a store where there is no customer service, no deli, no pre-made pizzas, no snack bars, no tire installation place, and people who will scream at you if you hold up the line to get a price-check on those eggs.. you can save a lot of money.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:50 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,642,222 times
My MIL just gave me a Costco membership last month. I have gone twice and am happy I have the membership. I had opportunities when my kids were small, but I really didn't have the money, and we didn't use enough of anything to condone it, but now that the kids are 10 & 11 it is great! I love their produce - it lasts way longer than the local grocery store stuff! There are alot of things that I can save money on, and get more of, too, but I will say that just because it is at Costco doesn't always mean it is a good deal. There are plenty of item that I will pass on, and buy at Wal Mart.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:10 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,007,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I don't get this, why would I get more items that I don't really need at the grocery store? Every week I look at the mailers they send out and I (well usually my wife) plan meals around what is on sale.

It is really only the meats, cheeses and some produce that is cheaper at Costco. Everything else you can get cheaper either by buying "generics" at the grocery store, target or walmart. Now, if you are the sort that just needs to eat particular meats, etc at any given day than Costco could make sense. But I'm perfectly happy only eating meats when they are on sale.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:23 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,115,125 times
Peanut butter, any condiment such as ketchup or mayonnaise, baking supplies such as flour or yeast, rice, large bags of corn chips, salsa, olive or regular oil, many canned goods especially in large cans, cereals, batteries, toilet paper, vitamins, OTC and prescription meds, and unusual pickled foods such as asparagus or mushrooms ...... all are much cheaper at Costco.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:05 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,233,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGAL76 View Post
Does shopping at Sam's or Costco save you a good amount of money? Is it really worth getting a membership vs shopping at Wal-mart or like SaveAlot? What are some of the reasons you shop there or don't?
I used to have a Sam's club membership....used to.

Before that I shopped at either Walmart or a local chain grocery store down the street. What I found was that I was spending about $125/week on groceries on average.

When I got my Sam's club membership I averaged $175/week.

I did this for about 3 months before I waved the white flag.

One could argue that I was stockpiling my groceries. OK I won't argue that point. My question was: When will the stock piling stop?!?! There were things I needed but didn't need a case at a time. I may use one unit in a year but I had 12 or 24 or whatever. It was just senseless. I'd spend all this money every week and still not have everything I needed. I imagine there has to be a point where you have everything possible stock piled but as soon as that happens your initial items you bought will have to be replinished and you start the cycle all over again.

Sorry....I don't need the headache.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:29 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,485,646 times
I'm a fan of both. I only have membership at Sam's because it's closer the I don't have much need for anything in the general area of Costco to make the trip worth my while.

For all the reason's stated above and......

Tires. Free rotation and balancing for life. Great prices too.
Travel expenses. I actually bought insurance on a rental car.....Hawaii...Lava....I caved for only $8.00 per day as opposed to 12-15 at the rental agency. Save on the car too.
Airline tickets....saved there!
Gas...not a massive difference but hey...while I'm there.

So yes...it's worth it if you use the card to it's fullest.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:44 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,007,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
...... all are much cheaper at Costco.
No, they are not. Not if you compare them to generics.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:11 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,115,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No, they are not. Not if you compare them to generics.
ALL of the things I listed are cheaper than generics in my area. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living