U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:58 AM

136 posts, read 279,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginhild View Post
You don't use Woolite? Too expensive?

I have used Woolite just for delicates but this Orvis is good for just about everything and the price was so much better when using for all laundry for 4 of us. It came in 7.5 lb. jar and lasted long time. Haven't purchased it in a while but all around it is cheap and gentle. May not be found anywhere now but from a feed store or western/ranching store, quilting stores.

We live in Ocala, Florida ("Horse Capital of the World" they call us). The reason I am on this forum is we are trying to sell our house and move to Woodland Park or Colorado Sprs area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 10:31 AM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Any other Frugal Living people making laundry detergents at home?

Old 04-20-2009, 08:17 AM

4,507 posts, read 7,823,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Any other Frugal Living people making laundry detergents at home?
I'd like to try it but some of the reviews I have read mention that the soap in the homemade detergents leaves a residue in the washer and I assume it leaves the same residue on the clothes as well. I'm imagining soap scum on a shower door type of residue....don't want that in my washer or on my clothes. I'm not interested in frugal efforts that result in more work in the end. Also, part of being frugal is taking care of items so they don't need to be replaced often. I'm concerned that the soap residue damaging the clothes or washing machine, building up in the drain lines, etc.

Can anyone put my mind at ease over these issues with the homemade detergent? Is there a certain soap to use that is better than others? Maybe you can convince me to give it a try.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 23,226,903 times
I use washing soda to derust parts. In fact, my Bobcat's control panel and my trailer hitch are electrolyzing in the stuff right now! My homemade soap is made from lye, that I make from salt water. Also doubles as an excellent paint remover!

Old 04-20-2009, 09:31 AM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I'd like to try it but some of the reviews I have read mention that the soap in the homemade detergents leaves a residue in the washer and I assume it leaves the same residue on the clothes as well. I'm imagining soap scum on a shower door type of residue....don't want that in my washer or on my clothes. I'm not interested in frugal efforts that result in more work in the end. Also, part of being frugal is taking care of items so they don't need to be replaced often. I'm concerned that the soap residue damaging the clothes or washing machine, building up in the drain lines, etc.

Can anyone put my mind at ease over these issues with the homemade detergent? Is there a certain soap to use that is better than others? Maybe you can convince me to give it a try.
Haven't heard of anyone getting a residue, nor have we seen any in our clothing or washing machine.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:32 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,358,132 times
a friend of mine is making homemade laundry detergent. She got the recipe off the duggars website. The stuff actually works.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:38 PM

392 posts, read 1,681,413 times
I use an equal mix of Borax, cheapest powered laundry detergent I can find and baking soda (never been able to find washing soda). Mix it all together and use 2 tablespoons per load. Finish with white vinegar as a softener in the "rinse."
Been using it for a few years in my HE washer. No residue I can see, no problems with the washer.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:13 AM

95 posts, read 173,837 times
I really like your frugal idea stock..im am going to try this cheap laundry detergent but im going to use the washing soda instead of borax I read somewhere that borax is only in liquid store bought laundry detergent and washing soda is only in powered that theres no detergent sold with both in it. I have 5 different mexican laundry detergents here already ill use one of these, I have a regular ole top loader with fairly soft water and only need 3 tablespoons of this detergent but mixing it up with washing soda and baking soda perhaps i can get by using 1 or 2 tablespoons. I have tried the homemade using borax washing soda fels naptha ect.. but I dont like it, I had issues which I wont mind talking about if anyones interested, lol....again thanks for the idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living