U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:30 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,932,091 times

Advertisements

yeah - peacocks are pretty raucous... what about rabbits? In europe, I have heard this is very common to raise rabbits for meat. And rabbits don't crow! Personally they are way too cute for me to be able to slaughter - but they are tasty in a stew I had once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 10:22 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,961,653 times
Nuala, we call those meat birds "Frankenchickens" because they are so freaky. They get huge real quick, they look gawky almost all the time while they are doing it and if you don't slaughter them some of them will die of congestive heart failure and they will get bowed legs because they outgrow their bones if they aren't fed the proper sort of feed. They also have a lot of liquid in the body cavity when they are slaughtered which just seems weird. You can make them into "Rock Cornish Game Hens" if you do them in at a young age. Tasty, though, even if they are odd.

My friends, who live in a house with a tin roof, have neighbors with a peacock. You can definitely tell when Pete has landed on their roof. He also screams occasionally, but they like him anyway. He does leave nice feathers around their yard when he molts out each year.

We had meat rabbits once. They got nice and plump but they were just too friggin cute to be made into dinner. I sold them all but never ate any of them. We now have angora rabbits, they are really cute and the yarn made from their hair is exquisite. We also don't have to figure out how to eat the cuteness. My friend keeps calling them "slippers" since they look just like those fuzzy bedroom slippers.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:05 AM

20,308 posts, read 37,804,669 times
This same topic is also working over in the COLO SPGS forum, seems to be a lot of interest in the topic these days.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:09 PM

I think it is a sign of the cost of food these days that everyone is interested in making their own. Our local university just posted a paper on growing backyard eggs. You can search the College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources website for "Small-Scale Pastured Poultry Grazing System for Egg Production" or if the moderators allow it, click the link below:
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/LM-20.pdf

If even the academic types are getting into the "grow your own" it must be a pretty widespread phenomenon.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:15 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,532,606 times
We have a huge garden. No chickens! I was walking down the street the other day coming back from my walk and looked to my left and noticed a couple chickens in someones yard.

Not a minute later and 2 turned to 4 and they were chasing me down the sidewalk!

Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,904,378 times
They even have chicken coops you can order online that are made specifically for suburban back yards. Probably very good for 1-2 birds.

I just replaced a DIY coop (8x6) with a shed from Home Depot. 10x8 and I cut out windows and a "chicken door" for them over a weekend. So much room now..it's their own little McMansion

Old 08-27-2009, 12:12 AM

The folks around here are building cute chicken coops and decorating them in various ways, too. I don't know if the chickens really care, but the folks really seem to be enjoying it. From what I've noticed chickens are probably one of the least fussy animals when it comes to housing.

Did you paint and decorate their new Chicken McMansion?

Tomorrow the neighboring town is having a showing of "Food, Inc." along with a lot of booths and demonstrations by various local farming groups. So maybe this local and backyard food production is part of the anti-commercial food movement, do you think? Are people rebelling on a grass roots level against the takeover of their food supply? Well, I'll go see the movie and chat with the local growers tomorrow. We may be part of a larger thing than we knew.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 867 times
How do I garden in "red soil"?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:39 PM

866 posts, read 933,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyneotto View Post
How do I garden in "red soil"?
You might try gardening in raised beds, or in large cntainers.
We use both methods where we are in TX with pretty good success( that is when the weather co-operates).
there are many books out there that show how to do it.
Two that I would recommend are: "Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew and the other is "Lasagna Gardening" by Patricia Lanza.
A good book for chicken raising is one call "A Guide to Raising Chickens " by Gail Damerow.
We are in a rental house so we can't dig up the yard, that's why we garden in raised beds or containers. We recycle containers whenever we can. 5 gallon paint buckets(thoroughly cleaned out first) are good for individual tomato plants. We've also used discarded Pickle buckets from the fast food places when we could get them.
Trash cans, all shapes and sizes can be used to grow just about anything.
Need to put holes in the bottom of the containers for drainage and keep them off the ground using either bricks,boards or whatever you have available. This helps with keeping out moles and such.
The containers are more convenient to use because they are more portable and can be turned to the sunlight as needed.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:39 AM

2,970 posts, read 3,764,594 times
Years ago I'd bring eggs into work and people would look at me like I ran my hand down their pants. Now, I run into them and they seem to NOW understand. Here's my "bachelors garden tip of the day"; plant late, goose the sets with fish oil fertlizer to jump start the greens of your plants, and then "release the hounds"......let the chickens do the weeding, as the weeds are stringy trying to get above your plants.
Works. Done it for years.
THIS YEAR is guerilla gardening because I'm new to Victoria, and have just a SMALL deer problem.
will start separate deer thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or