Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 06:26 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times

Advertisements

i got a 3 year old chihuahua mix at the humane society and she is now 18, so that is my best deal ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 06:33 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Got our coffeemaker at the thrift store for about 2 bucks and it still works pretty well.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:32 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i got a 3 year old chihuahua mix at the humane society and she is now 18, so that is my best deal ever!
I know what you mean.
We have nine cats and they were all free.
I wouldn't take a million dollars for any of them.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:15 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
I used to live in a little house on a hill with heavy tree canopy overhead, so in the Summertime we didn't need air conditioning with the shade and nice breezes. But our 13 six over six windows had no screens or storms. One day I was driving near where I work and saw a pile of old wood windows at the curb. I went up the the house and inquired about them. They said to take all you want, they had just gotten their windows replaced. Quick trip home to measure and yes they were the exact size of our windows. So I got 26 panels (13 wood frame screens and 13 storm windows). All the glass was intact and with a little work and paint they were like new. It was so nice to have the screens in the summer and cozy with the storm windows in the winter.

I have to thank my grandfather who was such a good influence on me. I never pass by a pile of junk or whatever without giving it a good looking over He used to maintain and repair steam engines for the railroad and they had very few replacement parts. They had to go "out to the yard" and find a suitable piece of metal and make the part they needed.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:09 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Hi, would you please share the best bargain you have ever found, whether it was clothing, food, or whatever item you bought and felt great about having saved a lot? Thanks!!
Breastmilk and cloth diapers! We also cut up old bath towels to use instead of baby wipes. I kept a squirt bottle with a homemade solution (baby mild dr. bronner's soap diluted with a lot of water) and would squirt the rag, then clean the baby's bottom. I also used that solution when we were out and about, too... to clean faces and hands, etc. Not only did it save a ton of money, and it meant less chemicals against our babies skin, but we also didn't have as much trash. No stinky trash!

Also, now that our kids are much older... using our public library saves us a ton of money each month. We check out films, computer games, books, music... use the internet, check email... do homework... and we take advantage of the free classes and entertainment (storytelling, plays, musical performances, etc.) that our library has. The library is a wonderful resource.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:34 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times
I had a coupon for an oil change......for $12 and change. BTW, the oil change comes with a free car wash!!!! Good Deal!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:39 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
I got my LV petit noe handbag at a consignment shop in a tiny town for $5. Had it authenticated (it was real too, no knockoff!) and it retails for around $900! Got my DD a Ed Hardy winter coat for $19.99 at Dillards, when they priced it wrong (should have been $180 or so).

Always get the DD's clothes on clearance or at discount places (TJ Maxx, Marshall's) and usually end up spending less that I would at Target or Wal-Mart, and she gets better made clothes out of the deal.

Got my chocolate leather couch for $100 at an auction, and 2 matching antique wingbacks for $20 (for the pair) at a yard sale. Our huge dining table for $30 at a yard sale, and $30 for our overstuffed "big man" chair and ottoman.

Most of the stuff on the walls, are either antique chipped Blue Willow plates, or old movie stills, along with family knick nacks from various trips to Africa, South America, India, etc... For really cheap ($5 or so) to free.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:01 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
I found a weight machine on Freecycle. I used that sucker all winter.

My vintage Raleigh road bike was a cast-off. I put about $80 into it and now she is my "daily driver".

I just bought a pair of New Balance trail runners for $36!!! They were on sale and I had an extra 20% off coupon...sweet!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:07 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
My Wife, she cooks, cleans, washes the clothes, raised the kids... Can't beat a bargain like that... (;>)

I bet I get into trouble for that post...LOL

Old 07-14-2009, 10:55 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,135 times
2 years ago, I wanted a new,slide-in, smooth-top convection oven. Being the cheapskate I am, I balked at paying $2,500+ for a new one so I began scouring Craigslist and the local classifieds for a used one. About 2 weeks after starting my search, I found the oven of my dreams. It was brand new, never been used and priced right at $350. Unfortunately, the handle on the oven door had been snapped off.

The seller was in the business of tearing down builder displays at trade shows and open homes in the area and since builders often wrote off damaged appliances, these guys were able to buy such merchandise in bulk at a great discount. I decided to get the range, thinking that I would call the manufacturer and order a new door. Even paying for the new part, I knew I'd come out ahead financially over buying the same model at a retail store. I talked the guy down to $300 with free delivery and was a happy camper.

When the range was delivered, I called the manufacturer about the part I needed to make my new range whole again. When I got hold of customer service and provided the serial number, the rep floored me by telling me that the range was covered under a 2 year complete warranty from the date of purchase. Because the serial number had never been registered, they considered *me* the original purchaser and the door repair would be covered completely! I did explain that I bought the over from someone else, but the rep said it didn't matter because it had not yet been registered and it was still a brand new model as evidenced by the serial number.

1 week later, I had a fully functioning, name brand, beautiful new smooth-top, convection range for the grand total of $300. I have gotten a great many deals in my time, but this one is the best by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living