Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:44 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,638,821 times

Advertisements

I did a free membership to (not defunct) Matchmaker.com and snared a husband. He pays for everything. Best bargain of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 05:40 PM

483 posts, read 554,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Hi, would you please share the best bargain you have ever found, whether it was clothing, food, or whatever item you bought and felt great about having saved a lot? Thanks!!
Ooma phone service.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:48 PM

483 posts, read 554,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
My Wife, she cooks, cleans, washes the clothes, raised the kids... Can't beat a bargain like that... (;>)

I bet I get into trouble for that post...LOL
See how much it costs if you try to trade her in on a new model...

Old 06-20-2010, 11:27 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,857,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Hi, would you please share the best bargain you have ever found, whether it was clothing, food, or whatever item you bought and felt great about having saved a lot? Thanks!!
I don't know if this counts, but I was visiting family on the other side of town and found a little boutique shop with nylons on sale. They had the exact brand, color and size I wear. I asked the owner how many she had and if she would sell them all to me. She agreed and I bought a case of them. It worked out to about sixty cents a pair. It was great for me because I was in Corporate America at the time and often kept extra pairs in my office and car. I was paying about $7/pair before I found them in the boutique that day.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:23 AM

8,011 posts, read 10,583,473 times
Got six solid wood ladder back chairs in perfect condition they were just unloading off the truck at a Salvation Army store last week. I asked the little old lady in the store what she was going to price them for, and she said "How about $5.00 a piece?" I paid for them quickly, loaded them, and got them out of there before they had any more time to think about it. They are absolutely beautiful. I have a table I got at a Goodwill that they match perfectly. Been looking for chairs to go with that table for about six years.

Just one of many bargains I've gotten on great used furniture in my lifetime.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:34 PM

268 posts, read 1,065,572 times
I just replaced my dishwasher - bought it on Craigslist - cost me $45.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:25 AM

171 posts, read 443,392 times
My current favorite bargain? A pair of almost new Dansko clogs for $2 at a thrift store outlet. I have very big feet, and love clogs. At the same thrift, I found very warm Kamik snow boots, also for $2. Score! I once found a pair of Dansko sandals once in a rural thrift store "bargain basement" for a NICKEL! They were not as new as the clogs or the boots, but still had lots of wear left.

I'm thoroughly addicted to thrift store shopping for clothes and shoes.....and if I can find to fit my size 11 wms feet and size 18 tall body, almost anyone can, with some luck.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:27 AM

8,011 posts, read 10,583,473 times
I just thought of another one. K-mart had a 90% off tent sale once on clearance merchandise some yeas ago - I bought about 20 pairs of Martha Stewart swiss-dotted solid cream colored sheer curtains, some 84 length, and some the shorter 64 length. I've used them in every window of my last four homes, from an old farm house, to a mobile home, to my current new modular. As some got worn or tattered, I threw them out and put up a newer pair. They are always just perfect somehow - and were about $1 a pair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living