U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:16 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,339,938 times

Advertisements

Kari, if you advertise the scrap/trees on Freecycle, I'm pretty sure people will come pick it up for free

Old 04-24-2009, 09:00 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,487,344 times
I know a good number around my family hurting, many are recent transplants to the area right before the dump (first in a job, first out) or found themselves "investing" in one of the areas of run up (working in building trades, mortgages, banking). The people I know personally are often taking off to live with relatives and find a position where they are living, usually out of state, or going back to school if they can get loans. A very substantial number of people I see are living out of shopping carts or bike trailers and begging for money around town.

I have to say that education has been a barrier to keep me from losing my own position and have financial stability/mobility even in this substantial downturn. Having my MBA has helped me keep my job in relation to people more senior with the institution who were let go (not a great deal, but a year or 2 longer) as well as helped my salary grow and stay high in that I was able to sock away more then a third of my income in the last year. Also it has helped me in that people are still hiring for my level of experience and education in the general market (also that my coworkers who were let go were able to take some of them).

Old 04-24-2009, 09:19 AM

9 posts, read 13,688 times
What baffles me is I live in the Midwest, typical town with 20k people - average mix of blue/white collar. I hear and read everywhere that the economy is terrible - it's affected me as well - my husband is an electrician and his work has slowed down. What's strange is we will go out to dinner and restaurants are packed - I'm talking someplace where you will spend $40-$50 for dinner - my friend is the manager of a Lowe's - he's busier than ever. Sears was so busy last week delivering new Craftsman tractors I had to wait on a repair. The local movie house is jammed on the weekends, a friend owns a lanscape business and he can't keep up he's so busy. I see weekly several houses up on foreclosures sales, no jobs in the paper. It's good to see people out there spending but on the other hand

Old 04-24-2009, 10:05 AM

3,714 posts, read 8,116,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
Kari, if you advertise the scrap/trees on Freecycle, I'm pretty sure people will come pick it up for free
I live in rural south central OK. I can't even give stuff away on craigslist! No one wants to drive to where I am. Last summer I was looking for a dog, any dog, to be a companion to mine - there were a LOT of dogs for free, 'can't keep her due to divorce' 'moving' 'too good to go to pound' etc. I called a lot of them and offered to pay for their time and gas, but apparently none of the dogs were special enough to imspire their owners to make a hundred mile round trip, not even a paid-for trip.

One of my neighbors trimmed a couple trees last fall, and someone did stop by and offer to take all the limbs - but he wanted them all cut in stove lengths first. Since my neighbor knew the people, he did that for them, it was easier and cheaper than paying to have it all hauled to the dump. No one here uses freecycle, and I had some pretty bad experiences with it in WA - people would call and say they'd be by at a particular time, then just not show up or even bother calling to say they'd changed their mind.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:18 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,339,938 times
That's so sad The breeder who sold me my dog had a German couple who really wanted two of her puppies. She actually drove 3 hours out of her way to get to an airport where she could get her pups a direct flight to Germany, rather than have them deal with layover trauma.

Sorry you had bad experiences I still use freecycle when I want to get rid of things, but yeah, I could see how location could be an issue.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:43 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,379,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post

All the people I know are cutting back. People are thinking twice before they purchase a car, a spa, or go on a vacation.

This is really hurting?

Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 PM

3,406 posts, read 8,990,415 times
Let me see ...

Older bother who had a surveying business saw the business dry up as builder's slowed down or completely stopped their projects. Wife left him about the same time with a whole bunch of bills. As you mentioned, self-employed = no unemployment benefits, no food stamps, nothing. Lost the house, car, recently disbanded the business. He moved into my house. Can't pay me anything for rent or his share of utilities.

Younger brother in the mortgage industry laid-off with no prospects of employment in that field. Moved in with me also. Also can't pay me anything for rent or utilities. Every penny he gets from unemployment pays for his car payment.

Parents lost their home years ago after he was laid-off. Both have diabetes and struggle to maintain healthy. Dad has recently been employed with benefits, but at age 78 or so, he really can't keep up with the demands of a job. He's planning for a lay-off, and then they'll be moving in with me sometime this year.

Me, wife has a genetic progressive debilitating disease. There is no treatment, no cure. She receives a monthly Social Security payment, since she did work prior to being disabled. She now requires round-the-clock care, so I was able to place her into an Assisted Living Facility earlier this year. The cost of such a facility is close to 100% of our combined income. I also have the additional expense of her prescriptions, doctors, labs, ER visits, etc. Haven't been able to make a mortgage or car payment so far this year. I'm expecting the cars to be repossessed anytime now, as well as a foreclosure notice. Don't know where we'll all go when that happens.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:36 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,116,464 times
More seriously, and not a rant. We left AK because of DH's illnes, the docs where we lived said he needed to go where there was better medical facilities and he needed an organ transplant. After we got to WA, he got sicker and I also developed a cartload of disabilities - multiple whammy, all at once. Then Social Security said they had no record of him actually ever being employed [and don't I wish the IRS had that lack of record, too!] so he wasn't eligible for soc sec. He did eventually get SSI and Medicaid, but as it turned out, there was only one clinic within a hundred mile radius that would accept Medicaid. That one clinic refused to see him. He couldn't drive most of the time, and since one of my disabilities is bein legally blind, I couldn't drive at all. He ended up dying after being bed-ridden for a year. I was his sole caretaker 24/7, even though his brother lived less than a mile away. BIL did have a good job, but he never ever had time to visit his only brother, or to take me shopping or to the nearest pharmacy to get his meds. The only good spot in that entire last year was that I found out I was going to get a small inheritance, so DH had a lot of fun planning what he was going to do with it - he never believed he wouldn't get better, he just figured that sooner or later the meds would be properly adjusted, and life would get back to normal again.

What I finally did with that little inheritance was to sell our place and get as far as I could go from that part of WA. Oh - our place? It was a fixer-upper we bought from a trailer park for a pittance, and we fixed it a bit at a time until the only original thing left on it was the date of manufacture. I sold it to the first person who came up with a reasonable amount of cash, and left.

All that time in WA, seven years, I was very grateful that my gran was the one who mostly raised me. She lived through the Great Depression, and continued to live as though it might return tomorrow. I learned about canning and home economy from her, and it was a very good thing, because two people surviving on one social security check and one person's food stamp allowance takes a great deal of creativity and ingenuity.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:58 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,947,716 times
I know several people who would be homeless if it wasn't for the generosity of friends and family. I've tried to help them out as much as possible. I don't want to hurt anyone's pride, so I do things like tell them that someone gave me a gift card to a restaurant near where they live that I really can't use. I've made payments to a couple of peoples electric bill or cell phone bill without them knowing about it. I invite friends to dinner or to join me for a drink or a movie--my treat.

My husband and I have tried to support small businesses over large corporations as much as possible, even if it means spending a little extra here and there.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:02 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmom505 View Post
What baffles me is I live in the Midwest, typical town with 20k people - average mix of blue/white collar. I hear and read everywhere that the economy is terrible - it's affected me as well - my husband is an electrician and his work has slowed down. What's strange is we will go out to dinner and restaurants are packed - I'm talking someplace where you will spend $40-$50 for dinner
I am in Chicagoland and my friends in the restaurant business are suffering. Some of the lower-end restaurants are doing a lot better; some of the mid-range chains are closing down locations. Personally, I have been eating out more as I have been working 60-70 hours per week.

Lowes and Home Depot sales are also sufferign in the current recession. Home remodeling is very slow at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living