U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:44 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,951,460 times

Advertisements

We yard sale about every Saturday, it's what Saturdays are for as far as we are concerned. We've had a few yard sales of our own just to get some more room around here, but I don't like selling stuff at a yard sale. My wonderful doodad that I think is just the greatest thing but I've got four of them and don't need the one I'm selling is for sale and someone will pick it up and offer me ten cents for it and then put it back down when I suggest a quarter. So much for my wonderful doodad! It is better to just flat out give the stuff away so then it is still a valuable doodad, at least, in my estimation. The mere pittance I get for it doesn't make up for the devaluation it gets in the process.

It isn't as bad selling stuff bought from garage sales at a garage sale since it doesn't have the retail value hovering over it anywhere. If we bought it for a quarter, kept it for awhile and then sold it for a quarter, it's all good. If we bought it for ten dollars and then sold it for a quarter, that's nowhere near as good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 11:40 PM

13,995 posts, read 10,133,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Maybe it just me but it seems that every garage sale I go to lately is more of an organized trash pile with price tags on it.

My experience with my own garage sales I saw the "pro flea marketers" and the like appear before the sun came up. They picked over everything and offered prices that could only be considered insulting.
LOL - My mom has a friend she's known since school visiting her right now. They went yard sale-ing and my mom said some people were trying to sell used bras and underwear, and pens and pencils. I know the economy's bad, but...

Old 05-03-2009, 01:17 PM

634 posts, read 1,345,395 times
We had a garage sale this weekend and I agree with some of these posters that some people seem to think we want to give away everything. We had some nice things like microwaves and a refridgerator and some guy kept telling me it was'nt worth 60. So I sent him on his way empty handed. I was disappointed at the people who stole stuff-that is just wrong! You do have to keep a sharp eye out.

I have noticed that people do not usually come prepared to spend much and some high end stuff we got no takers. One thing was a Morantz turntable with a box of lps.I think if you want to sell stuff like that it is better to go to craigs list or ebay.

I was surprised that nobody wanted the books! They usually sell very well. We will have another in a couple of weeks, we have way too much stuff.

Last edited by EllenArlingtonPark; 05-03-2009 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: addl info

Old 05-04-2009, 01:23 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,898,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
I am kind of in agreement .. I enjoy browsing them (and thrift stores) - but get annoyed when people want the vacuum that I'm asking $15 for (working, of course) for $1.00.

I don't give things a way - its a "SALE" - that involves money.

At the end of the two days (we always do Saturday and Sunday) - we take it all to local donation centers -- who often mark it up higher than we did in the sale!!
We are having our very first garage sale this weekend! part of our neighborhood community sale.
We are going to donate all of the money made as well.
We think it will be a great way to teach our children how we can give to others...
I personally don't like going to garage sales,just not patient enough to rummage through things. I have to say though,I will have some nice girls clothing out-brand new/w tags!
I also have a brand new shower curtain that I purchased at Restoration Hardware on sale for $30 and it is still wrapped in package w/tags..
I wonder if people will have something to say about the $10 I am going to ask for it...

Old 05-04-2009, 02:31 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,951,460 times
They won't say anything about the $10 price tag on your $30 retail priced item but they probably won't take it away, either. Generally, about ten cents on the dollar is a good "go away" pricing at garage sales. So, at $3 it will most likely go away, at $5 perhaps but perhaps not, at $10 it will only find a new home if someone needs that exact shower curtain.

What you paid retail is of no concern to the folks yard saling. They don't buy stuff retail and have no sympathy for those who do.

Setting things out neatly on tables with price tags is a good way to get top dollar for things. All jumbled up in a pile only works if the price is really low. You can also put up different tables or boxes so everything on that table or in that box is one set price. Later on in the day if things in your $2 box aren't selling, you can easily change the price to $1. Coffee and muffins or brownies are a good seller in our area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living