U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 AM

634 posts, read 1,346,248 times

Advertisements

I enjoy going to yard sales when I have time. I can find some really great deals on everything from housewares and small appliances to clothes. It is amazing some of the things you can get for just a couple of dollars. I also find books that are in great shape. Bartering and haggling is part of it and it is great practice for people who are not comfortable with doing this in other circumstances. It is a good way to get to know your neighbors too.

Happy Garage sale shopping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 PM

8,181 posts, read 16,166,929 times
I love to go Garage saleing.
I funished my entire house at these and thrift stores. I get compliments all the time.

After 20+ years of marriage I just now have my 1st brand new piece of funiture.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM

410 posts, read 935,499 times
I love 'em too. Last weekend I got a nice wrought iron open type baker's rack that I'll put my cookbooks on for $10. I found a nice lamp for $2; a new Tupperware deviled egg holder for 50 cents; nice unused set of sheets for $5; and some other stuff I might resell on ebay.

I once had a roommate who just couldn't believe I went to garage sales and thrift stores, and was always flabbergasted at the many compliments I got on our house and decor. (All from garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales, flea markets, etc.). For some reason, some people are embarassed by it but not me! LOL!

Old 04-30-2009, 09:36 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,493,331 times
I love yard sales for furniture, you get some good deals, some good look stuff, and usually pretty close. It's kind of funny though with some sales, you see people who bought something 5-10 years ago, used it not every day but noticeable wear and tear, then put it out with a 10% markdown like they are doing you a favor...but good to look through!

Old 04-30-2009, 09:38 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,360,030 times
i had bought a couch and a chair and they were in good condition for 50.00 several years ago...and i still have the chair.
Yard sales and garage sales are like a scavenger hunt..i love them.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:17 PM

20,315 posts, read 37,820,570 times
I LIKE to visit yard sales, the anticipation of maybe finding something cool.

I HATE running yard sales as some people are obnoxious, like when you sell a perfectly good $75 power tool for $10 and they ask if you'll take $2 for it. I hate that, won't run another yard sale. Now I take my stuff to Goodwill.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:08 PM

3,751 posts, read 10,215,556 times
I am kind of in agreement .. I enjoy browsing them (and thrift stores) - but get annoyed when people want the vacuum that I'm asking $15 for (working, of course) for $1.00.

I don't give things a way - its a "SALE" - that involves money.

At the end of the two days (we always do Saturday and Sunday) - we take it all to local donation centers -- who often mark it up higher than we did in the sale!!

Old 05-01-2009, 05:33 AM

410 posts, read 935,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I love yard sales for furniture, you get some good deals, some good look stuff, and usually pretty close. It's kind of funny though with some sales, you see people who bought something 5-10 years ago, used it not every day but noticeable wear and tear, then put it out with a 10% markdown like they are doing you a favor...but good to look through!
Over the years, I've noticed the difference in neighborhoods can often hint about the type of garage sale. I've come across many like you just described in high dollar neighborhoods, in fact, those are the ones I usually avoid. The stuff is usually either junk or the people are wanting what they paid for it.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:04 PM

3,825 posts, read 6,184,697 times
Maybe it just me but it seems that every garage sale I go to lately is more of an organized trash pile with price tags on it.

My experience with my own garage sales I saw the "pro flea marketers" and the like appear before the sun came up. They picked over everything and offered prices that could only be considered insulting.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:41 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,589,902 times
I don't go looking for things to consume. I only consume what I need, and I don't need anyone else's cast off junk.

To get rid of my excess, if it's trash, I throw it in the garbage.

If it's good stuff that I no longer need, I take it to our local Senior Center, Food Bank, or PAWS animal shelter.

All of those organizations raise money with garage sales and I would rather give it to them than have to deal with it myself.

But it hasn't always been this way. For many years thrift shops and garage sales were the only places we got anything, but this had more to do with poverty than frugality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living