U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 03:51 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,946,459 times

Advertisements

I am frugal so that I can avoid being without the things that I need to keep me healthy. I hate having to ask a man for $. It's degrading, and often results in a power play. And no, I am not a lady of the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,751,095 times
Why do all these posts turn into an orgy of self-congratulation? Keep it to yourselves, people.

Compared to some of you, I might not be frugal, but compared to my family members, I am. My father had an "addictive personality", in addition to an emptiness caused by his mother's death, which he tried to satiate / fill with booze, ATVs, dirt bikes, muscle cars, etc. He died hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt to various tax agencies, creditors, suppliers, etc. My younger brother took after him, except he was addicted to guns, rims, car audio systems, and the most financially harmful of all, narcotics. My mother was initially frugal, though when my father's credit had deteriorated she took over and carried his debts, but after he died she wanted to make us "happy" (acting off emotion) and failed there. I don't think my sister will follow in my other family members' path.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:40 PM

33,555 posts, read 51,767,813 times
To answer the question why I am frugal I would say: I am not frugal, I just live within my means, and I do not have lavish wishes and urgencies to spend borrowed money. If I really want/need something - I will save for it. It is a great feeling when you buy something you were longing for and know that you can enjoy it right away, no strings attached, no payments, no struggle - it's all yours and paid for it in full...

Old 01-21-2011, 03:18 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,720,407 times
I'm frugal because I don't have a really high income, prefer to live within (or below) my means and the notion of paying interest if I don't have to seems like such a waste of money!

Also I am a self-employed freelancer; and the thought of getting a serious illness or injury, not being able to work, and facing repossession of home, cars, etc really scares me. So I try to keep my monthly obligations as low as possible. There are things I splurge on (hobbies, good food and coffee) but if my income were to dwindle or cease for a while, I can do without these expenditures.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:14 AM

57 posts, read 87,579 times
the reason for my frugal lifestyle is that i've grown up and have become an adult.

no seriously, i have student loan debts that i wanna pay off and also have some debts with my mom and after those are paid off i wanna save up for the future (for a car on one hand, and for investing on the other).

my chosen career does not allow me to make much money, so that too forces me to live the frugal way of life. after i've lived in a big city close to my work in the beginning, the commuting got to me and i chose to kill two or more birds with a stone:

i live practically next to my employer, only have 5 minutes to walk to work, have the gym right next to me where i can work out for free, live in a small apartment that might look crappy from the outside but is ok on the inside, i only pay 300 for rent incl. utilities (and i can spend as much on heating and water as i want, no extra bill at the end of the year). on top of that comes my cell phone costs for 50 /mo. and my internet provider for 20 /mo. food, like i said in the other thread, is about 120 to 150 per month - if i dont order food on the weekends, that is.

going out, well, im in my late 20s and getting hammered every weekend is not my idea of fun anymore, even though it is still fun every now and then , so i do not spend as much on that anymore, besides, it is just a short term fix anyway.

the only thing i really miss having is a car, i love driving and its very convenient, i especially curse not having one on the days i go grocery shopping and have to carry the heavy bag back, but it gives me an extra workout at least, hah. BUT i hate having debts and with already having my student loan debts i would be stupid to get a car loan now, so i will wait until i have saved up enough to finance a car with my own money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I'm frugal because I don't have a really high income, prefer to live within (or below) my means and the notion of paying interest if I don't have to seems like such a waste of money!
same here. living below my means is important for my sanity, i could not sleep well if i had accumulated alot of debt. money means security to me, i need security and the knowledge that if anything should happen in the future, i'll at least have a financial cushion.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:06 PM

146 posts, read 273,505 times
I'm the cheapest sumbitch (well, relative to what I can afford) this side of the Mississippi. Grew up dirt poor, my parents busted their ass to give us a good life. My goal in life is to have enough money to ensure mom & dad won't ever have to worry about a thing. I'm 27 now, have enough money to support a lower upper class lifestyle for them for at least 3-4 years. But I want more, a lot more, enough to support them for the rest of their lives. So I cut back on personal spending. No big deal since the stuff I like (national parks, outdoors, reading, hiking, traveling - company pays for it) barely cost me a thing.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:47 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,751,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloTraveler View Post
I'm the cheapest sumbitch (well, relative to what I can afford) this side of the Mississippi. Grew up dirt poor, my parents busted their ass to give us a good life. My goal in life is to have enough money to ensure mom & dad won't ever have to worry about a thing. I'm 27 now, have enough money to support a lower upper class lifestyle for them for at least 3-4 years. But I want more, a lot more, enough to support them for the rest of their lives. So I cut back on personal spending. No big deal since the stuff I like (national parks, outdoors, reading, hiking, traveling - company pays for it) barely cost me a thing.
I envy you

Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,484,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Truly happy people don't need to seek treasure either.
THis is the sort of attitude overall that I bristle at from so many peopel advocating frugality: telling others what they woudl be happy with/without.

A non musician may be very happy living somehere with no music and just a book to read. A musician, however, may NEVER be truly happy without music or musical instruments to play on. So for the former person, they could be frugal and never buy a quality musical instrment and pe perfgectly happy, while the later might be happiest with a good quality piano that would be considered an unnecesary luxury by the former person.

I'm a car guy. I tried to be happy with life and not having a project car to tinker on and sculpt to my mind's ideas, but it didn't work out. I LIKE going into the garage and massaging a body panel, creating custom colors, tuning an engine till it sounds good, and feeling the G forces as I control a machine *I* built. It may not make you happy, and you may consider it an unnecesary luxury. But that's a big part of what makes ME happy in life, and it has nothing to do with consumerism. Some people feel the same way about flying.

Being frugal is doing what you want and being happy in life without the cost of being happy interfering with said life. It's not about telling everyone else what "a truly happy person" would or wouldn't do.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:27 PM

5,115 posts, read 9,413,466 times
I guess I'm thrifty becasue I love my career as a freelance writer and it's not very high-paying, but is rewarding in how it exercises my mind. So I keep my living costs low so I can work at a profession I'm passionate about.

The other things I value, such as getting together with friends for potlucks, movies, discussions or music, and long walks outdoors or bicycle rides, don't carry a high price tag, either.

I love good food and mostly eat simple, uncomplicated things of as many fresh fruits and vegetables as I can so my food costs aren't terribly high without many packaged goods to buy. Buying seasonal produce helps.

Love interesting clothes, too, but luckily I also enjoy the thrill of the hunt in finding bargains at sales or consignment shops--or swapping with friends.

So why am I frugal? It suits me fine; it's part of who I am.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,004,009 times
So I can have zero debt by age 40. My wife can enjoy life with or kids and have to do anything because of money obligations such as long hours or staying at a job we don't enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living