Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 05:24 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have used it in the past to sell things and boy the only thing I hate about it is the no shows . people who actually email you and tell you a time they are going to come and then they never show up , never call and it irks me to no end and some people think it is okay just to not bother to call either . I dont know where they learned anything from but you dont just do that to people . so I call those that dont show up the craigslist losers !!! I mean I dont have time for people who dont bother to show up .
I've had the same thing happen with freecycle - no-shows, I mean. But I have bought and sold on craigslist, including a mobil home to the first person who came up with a reasonable amount of cash, after I couldn't get an agent interested in listing it. No muss, no fuss. Now I don't have much success, I'm in a rural area about an hour from the closest craigslist location. I've still bought a few things, but it's been somewhat of a hassle getting them - in one case, I had a friend in that part of the state pick it up, then deliver it the next time they came my way. Only took a couple months, as I recall. My offspring in NYC has much better luck using craigslist there, though, ditto for a friend in CA. It depends as much on where you are as on what you want to buy or sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 12:57 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
A lot of it has to do with what you are selling and where. About once a month, I sell newly hatched chickens on Craig's List and they are generally sold within a day or two. Sometimes folks call and say they are going to show up and then don't, but I have them show up when I'm going to be here anyway so if they don't show that's no huhu for me. Then the next person will generally show up and take them. I've never not sold them.

We buy a lot of interesting things on Craig's List. Since we are so rural it is nice to be able to see things outside of our usual "shopping" area.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:56 AM

211 posts, read 402,589 times
Love it, I've used it buying and selling.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
A lot of it has to do with what you are selling and where. About once a month, I sell newly hatched chickens on Craig's List and they are generally sold within a day or two. Sometimes folks call and say they are going to show up and then don't, but I have them show up when I'm going to be here anyway so if they don't show that's no huhu for me. Then the next person will generally show up and take them. I've never not sold them.

We buy a lot of interesting things on Craig's List. Since we are so rural it is nice to be able to see things outside of our usual "shopping" area.
True, but it also helps to be able to drive, and I can't. Last summer I tried to get a dog, any dog, as a buddy for mine. There were a lot being given away by people who were moving, getting divorced, etc, all of them saying their dog was 'too good' to just go to the shelter [and the shelters were kill shelters, at that]. But not a single one was willing to deliver even when I offered to pay for their time and gas. Guess the dogs were too good for the shelter, but not good enough to spend an hour or so getting them to a good home.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:25 PM

458 posts, read 1,670,792 times
"Guess the dogs were too good for the shelter, but not good enough to spend an hour or so getting them to a good home."

I would bet it wasn't that at all, but rather that they had plenty of people willing to come get their free dogs, so why make a special trip when the next guy will buy it without any hassle.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
"Guess the dogs were too good for the shelter, but not good enough to spend an hour or so getting them to a good home."

I would bet it wasn't that at all, but rather that they had plenty of people willing to come get their free dogs, so why make a special trip when the next guy will buy it without any hassle.
Some, maybe. Not very many people are willing to take old dogs with problems, though. And some of them actually told me that when I called, that it was a fine dog, yada yada, but they just couldn't take the time to drive that far - we're only talking 40 minutes, here, too. Mostly it's the cute pups that go fast, not the older ones, especially not the older ones with chronic health problems. The ones that were being charged for, it was just enough to cover the cost of neutering and heartworm meds, no profit involved. Shoot, even in my town I contacted the dog catcher and offered to take whatever he had that was reaching the point of being pts. All he said was that there wasn't anything 'suitable' - like maybe staying alive wasn't suitable, somehow. I do know at that time he had a couple litters and a few older dogs, all of which ended up being put down. I even offered to foster and housebreak pups that looked like they'd be good prospects for adoption, and he declined that as well. One of the ones I finally ended up with went through an obedience training program at a local correctional facility, and it still took nearly a year for her to be adopted - by me.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:47 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,728 times
I like CraigsList--I do think you need to be reasonably cautious about scammers. My sweet kitty was a freebie from CL and I have bought some very nice used furniture at very good price. Also bought some fabric samples which (maybe) I will find the time and energy to make into a rather artistic quilt

One thing that bothers me about CL is the proliferation of professional sellers--In particular, I mean real estate agents-- they mean I have to sift through a lot of non-bargains when search for home to buy--because the screens (price, or for sale by owner) don't work perfectly.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:31 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
I think craigslist is super and I love the price of advertising. I have sold and bought without any problems and the best part, no shipping. I used to use ebay a lot but since shipping costs have gone through the roof I seldom buy anything there.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:26 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
The worst part...well..maybe not the worst.....but the thing that makes it virtually useless for some of us is that it does little for rural areas or any far away from the designated city..
Most calls I got ended up with the people being unwilling to travel out where we are and vice versa for what I find.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:20 PM

204 posts, read 813,354 times
Craigslist in Florida has not been nearly as good for me as Columbus or Chicago.

I email 10 people about what they have for sale, maybe 1 replies. It is like people do not want to sell what they have listed??? I don't get it.

I usually sell on there but ocassionally buy. It is a great tool that will only get more and more popular as long as it remains free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living