U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:41 AM

567 posts, read 1,520,743 times

Advertisements

How many people have used Craig's list to sell or purchase anything? I have heard people talking about it and thought I would look for a used extension ladder on Craig's list. Anyway, I have someone delivering a ladder to me at work this afternoon. Also I saw where one of my customers had a listing for wanting to purchase something. What a coincidence, I just traded what he is looking for in Saturday and may sell it to him today. This may yurn out to be a good source of saving and making money. I better clean out the garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 03:03 AM

40 posts, read 86,555 times
Ive used it several times and had decent results both selling things and buying them, Its kinda like feebay used to be without the listing fees , selling fees paypal fees..

Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,779,498 times
You can use google's advanced search to limit the domain to craigslist.org and search all the craigslists in the entire country (world?). This is especially useful if looking for something hard to find and that is worth shipping. For example, I wanted a particular cable modem. Not easy to find in the Huntsville market. So I used the google search and found it in Des Moines and I asked the guy to ship it to me and he did. Worked out great.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:50 AM

482 posts, read 2,155,081 times
My husband and I just found a great used RV using Craigslist, we never would have found it otherwise, I think you just have to be careful when doing things like say looking for a vacation rental where they want you to send a deposit ahead of time, situations like this concern me.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:08 AM

16,851 posts, read 51,335,478 times
Standard rules apply - Don't use your regular email address, a lot of spammers harvest names and even post fake listings to get email addys. Watch out for Nigerian scams where a great item will be at a low price and the item isn't available for immediate PICKUP for cash, but is in storage, in another city, being shipped, yada yada. Watch out for purchasers who want to send an "agent." They'll show up with a check (often for more than the amount) and want the item plus cash back. The check (even cashier checks) will be fraudulent.

The Nashville craigslist is better pickings than the Huntsville one. If you don't mind the drive, a lot of stuff listed there is in Dixon county or surrounding areas.

Best rule of thumb is to pay cash and demand cash as payment, and meet in a bank or police parking lot on high ticket items.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:42 AM

4,756 posts, read 8,385,905 times
Good advice, Harry.

I used the Craig's List when I was looking for a house to rent prior to coming to Huntsville on a house-hunting trip. I emailed ahead and we exchanged contact info. Met up and saw the place. We made it clear that we will be looking a lot of different places in a short weekend, the guy understood and was happy to accommodate. Everything was up & up, a pleasant experience for both parties.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:18 AM

1,817 posts, read 5,769,157 times
I'm from another state but saw the post heading and popped on over and thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I've bought and sold quite a lot on craig's list and found it a great resource.

I sold vehicles, ATV's.

I've purchased a weed eater, a toilet in the perfect color, a car, kichen cabinets and even a house

Old 05-04-2009, 10:25 AM

5,802 posts, read 15,486,946 times
My brother (who loves doing that kind of stuff) sells cars via Craig's List...says nobody but dealers are using AutoTrader anymore...also he's getting into it for the small eBay type stuff.

But...it's only a matter of time before spammers take over, fees are applied, etc. etc. Seems like cool, useful internet-stuff like that grows so much that it eventually collapses from its own weight.

I'll bet we have some engineers who can figure out a formula to apply to that!!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:57 AM

4,756 posts, read 8,385,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post

I'll bet we have some engineers who can figure out a formula to apply to that!!
Hmmmm... let's see

1. Money is the root of ALL EVIL
  2. Craig's list generate cash flow which attracts EVIL
  3. Therefore EVIL will pentrate Craig's list
  4. so.... Craig's list is EVIL

Old 05-04-2009, 01:51 PM

27 posts, read 90,573 times
Craigslist has been around for a decade. I started using it 7 or 8 years ago when I moved to the S.F. Bay Area and never had a problem with it and have used it a few times since moving to Huntsville. They do charge for job postings to the classified ad section but other than that, I believe it is free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living